Alice in Wonderland updates

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
I was thinking it would be nice to have a thread dedicated to Alice's refurbishment. Alice is coming along, and Dateline Disneyland posted an update today that caught my eye. A couple of weeks ago, one of the leaves received some new paint, which is cool, I guess. The photos today showed that the vine "ramp" has been extended out with more room.

05-26-14-IMG_5121.jpg

05-26-14-IMG_5052.jpg

05-26-14-IMG_5154.jpg

05-26-14-IMG_5150.jpg

http://micechat.com/68752-rock-your-disney-side-disneyland/

Since this has been widened, I'm wondering if the evacuation process will change for CMs. CMs aren't allowed to go up on the vine to get guests off, but since there's more room, this may change. I doubt it, since there's a nice amount of height between the structure and the ground. Once this reopens, I'm going to ask my Fantasyland CM buddies if the evacuation process change or not.

gboiler1

I know its better to be safe than sorry, but have there been many or any injuries before the refurb or even issues with the ride cars needing to evacuate on the leaf trail?

I'm thankful the refurb should be done by our trip in late July to enjoy the updates.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
I know its better to be safe than sorry, but have there been many or any injuries before the refurb or even issues with the ride cars needing to evacuate on the leaf trail?

No injuries recently, but yes, to the latter. The ride system Alice runs on is really old, so the ride breaks down easily and often throughout the day. I remember days when I was operating the ride and everything seemed to be going fine, then the ride would suddenly power down. The evacuation process took forever, and it would take forever and a day if there was a vehicle, or vehicles on the vine, including the vine inside the ride, where the flowers and Alice are. It's a nightmare for CMs. Not only is the process long, but in some cases, the fire department would have to be called.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
I'm not either - had to request deletion of my account because of the awful forum community. There's much more intelligent conversation and debate here (no joke). But you can always check the page updates on the homepage regardless of registration. :)

The Disneyland discussions on MiceChat are much more elaborate and focused than here, which is why I post there. There are only about five people here that keep this sub forum going, and it's not very extensive. It is more organized here, though.

TP2000

05-26-14-IMG_5150.jpg

http://micechat.com/68752-rock-your-disney-side-disneyland/

Since this has been widened, I'm wondering if the evacuation process will change for CMs. CMs aren't allowed to go up on the vine to get guests off, but since there's more room, this may change. I doubt it, since there's a nice amount of height between the structure and the ground. Once this reopens, I'm going to ask my Fantasyland CM buddies if the evacuation process change or not.

Thanks for the info Raven24! I had no idea you were a CM previously, or if I did know that I'd forgotten. I bet you have many happy memories.

But with this newly widened vine, isn't the open door of each caterpillar on the opposite side of the widened walkway? You still wouldn't be able to get people out on the side the door is on because it hasn't been widened. As it appears now, this newly widened vine seems to be only for CM's to walk along during maintenance or when the ride isn't running. The widened path is on the opposite side of where the door openings are. Right?

TP2000

Aside from this new outdoor track (Disneyland has the only indoor/outdoor dark rides in the Disney world, by the way!), I'm most interested in the new animatronics and digital projection technology that is rumored to be going into this ride. Miceage via the Al Lutz updates are the only ones who have been talking about this for the last year, as no one else seems to have the scoop on all these newly redone dark rides except Miceage. But...

According to Miceage Updates, they are including new animatronics with the projected faces into Alice In Wonderland. Specifically, the Queen of Hearts and Alice and the Mad Hatter are getting redone as new projection animatronics. I can't wait to see what they come up with!

Interestingly, Alice In Wonderland has always been the LAST dark ride in Fantasyland built or upgraded. Alice didn't open until 1958, three years after the original dark rides opened with the park in 1955; Peter Pan, Mr. Toad and Snow White.

But in 1958, Walt Disney opened two new rides in his Magic Kingdom; the Sailing Ship Columbia and Alice In Wonderland. It was Disneyland's fourth dark ride at the time, years before Pinocchio and Roger Rabbit and Winnie The Pooh would be added to the park's dark ride roster.
alice6-58.jpg

Then when Fantasyland was redone entirely in 1982-83 with a fifth dark ride added to the fleet, Alice was left off the schedule.

New Fantasyland Under Construction, 1983 - Can you imagine letting people walk through construction sites today?!?
20080721FLConstruction2.jpg

When the New Fantasyland opened in 1983 with all-new dark rides, the only one not touched was Alice In Wonderland. In Summer, 1983 they opened new versions of Peter Pan's Flight, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, Snow White's Scary Adventures, plus the all-new Pinocchio's Daring Journey. The all-new and enlarged Alice In Wonderland didn't open until Summer, 1984, as a way of deferring the budget to the following fiscal year, no doubt.

But with this rumored dark ride upgrade, again something only Miceage is talking about, Alice In Wonderland is the first one to get the attention this time. Let's hope it's as promising as it sounds. They are up-ending almost 60 years of dark ride hierarchy by letting Alice go first this time! I hope TDA knows what it's doing.

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
Thanks for the info Raven24! I had no idea you were a CM previously, or if I did know that I'd forgotten. I bet you have many happy memories.

But with this newly widened vine, isn't the open door of each caterpillar on the opposite side of the widened walkway? You still wouldn't be able to get people out on the side the door is on because it hasn't been widened. As it appears now, this newly widened vine seems to be only for CM's to walk along during maintenance or when the ride isn't running. The widened path is on the opposite side of where the door openings are. Right?

I do have some great memories.:) One incident I remember fondly is my first night of training for Alice, coincidentally. As soon as I started operating the ride, it shut down. To make a long story short, one guest wanted a photo with me and my lead. Once we passed the backstage area, we snapped a quick, but fun photo with the guest.

It looks like both sides have been widened, but I can't really tell by the photos. I'd have to see it in person!

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
Aside from this new outdoor track (Disneyland has the only indoor/outdoor dark rides in the Disney world, by the way!), I'm most interested in the new animatronics and digital projection technology that is rumored to be going into this ride. Miceage via the Al Lutz updates are the only ones who have been talking about this for the last year, as no one else seems to have the scoop on all these newly redone dark rides except Miceage. But...

According to Miceage Updates, they are including new animatronics with the projected faces into Alice In Wonderland. Specifically, the Queen of Hearts and Alice and the Mad Hatter are getting redone as new projection animatronics. I can't wait to see what they come up with!

Interestingly, Alice In Wonderland has always been the LAST dark ride in Fantasyland built or upgraded. Alice didn't open until 1958, three years after the original dark rides opened with the park in 1955; Peter Pan, Mr. Toad and Snow White.

But in 1958, Walt Disney opened two new rides in his Magic Kingdom; the Sailing Ship Columbia and Alice In Wonderland. It was Disneyland's fourth dark ride at the time, years before Pinocchio and Roger Rabbit and Winnie The Pooh would be added to the park's dark ride roster.
alice6-58.jpg

Then when Fantasyland was redone entirely in 1982-83 with a fifth dark ride added to the fleet, Alice was left off the schedule.

New Fantasyland Under Construction, 1983 - Can you imagine letting people walk through construction sites today?!?
20080721FLConstruction2.jpg

When the New Fantasyland opened in 1983 with all-new dark rides, the only one not touched was Alice In Wonderland. In Summer, 1983 they opened new versions of Peter Pan's Flight, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, Snow White's Scary Adventures, plus the all-new Pinocchio's Daring Journey. The all-new and enlarged Alice In Wonderland didn't open until Summer, 1984, as a way of deferring the budget to the following fiscal year, no doubt.

But with this rumored dark ride upgrade, again something only Miceage is talking about, Alice In Wonderland is the first one to get the attention this time. Let's hope it's as promising as it sounds. They are up-ending almost 60 years of dark ride hierarchy by letting Alice go first this time! I hope TDA knows what it's doing.

I've always questioned why Alice didn't get touched for New Fantasyland '83. It's the most unique of the five dark rides in Fantasyland, not only because of the inside and outside portions, but also because of its facade, or lack of one. It doesn't really have a facade. It looks like an extension of the castle. I wonder of it's possible for them to make the facade look more like the ones in the main area?

I'm interested in the interior portion of the ride as well. If any animatronic needs replacing, it's Alice. She just sways side to side and she's kind of creepy-looking.

Alice-in-Alice-in-Wonderland-Ride-at-Disneyland-alice-15941356-500-333.jpg

The Queen does need updating. I'm curious if they plan on touching the marching deck of cards. The machinery (I guess you could say) that operates that is ancient and can't be replaced. The marching cards aren't even connected with the rest of the attraction and have to be reset manually when it breaks down. That's how old it is.

Figments Friend

LOVE that rare photo TP shared above of NF under construction. WOW...!
Many thanks for sharing that.

I have mixed feelings on the railings being added to the outdoor track. I understand why it has to be done, but to lose that view and fun feeling of almost running off the edge will now be lost.
A lot of the appeal of this Attraction was from that unique feature.
It was great to be up there in your caterpillar and feel like you were actually crawling around in the leaves.
Now i get the impression you will feel caged in.

Yeah times change....but the coolness factor ( outside at least ) has been diminished.
The project is still being worked on, so i will just have to wait and see what the final appearance will be.
Hoping for some excellent theming to hide what these railings really are.

Nland316

The Queen does need updating. I'm curious if they plan on touching the marching deck of cards. The machinery (I guess you could say) that operates that is ancient and can't be replaced. The marching cards aren't even connected with the rest of the attraction and have to be reset manually when it breaks down. That's how old it is.
that's where 3D screens come in! Lol

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom