Snacking around WDW (size *is* everything?)

PARichards

Original Poster
Have heard lots and lots about the generous portion sizes of foodstuffs in WDW. I'd like to make some smart snacking choices- we have 6 in our party, 5 days on the dining plan- would love to hear
1. where to find the best snacks for sharing so we can stretch those credits out and avoid throwing away half-eaten things. We will be there in September, (read: also anticipating not wanting to eat large portions of any one thing in hot/humid weather).
2. Snacks to avoid/not worth the "money" (say, don't stop at Place A, because Place B is aroubd the corner and has the best _____).

Thanksmuch!

docdebbi

not an expert on what is a large size snack, but do get ticked off everytime i read disney's literature and they keep mentioning water/soda/popcorn as your snack. these are the worst use of snack credit possible.
for the same snack credit you can get a huge cinnamon bun at gaston's, any bagel/muffin/danish at any restaurant, huge cupcakes/rolls anywhere.
you can make a breakfast easily with your snack credit, don't waste it on popcorn or water.

PARichards

Original Poster
you can make a breakfast easily with your snack credit, don't waste it on popcorn or water.

Definitely not planning on using credits for water, but I am used to trekking around our zoo with 4 kids and one kiosk popcorn bag shared among all will stave off a meal for another hour or 2, so I can't say we won't be using a credit or two on popcorn that can then be shared by 6 people!

EricJ

Being in World Showcase during a week-long humidity-wave one summer, I can be glad that Japan has a cultural love of sno-cones (kakigori) and iced green tea (straight, no fruit flavors). :hungry:
(Although they still had Yakitori House that year, not sure what's in the spot now.)

If it's hot, the ice cream shop in MK has an ice cream sandwich that could probably be split between 4 kids. You get a huge cookie (think hand size) with several scoops of ice cream on it and another cookie on top. Deconstruct that and each kid gets half a cookie with some ice cream. Not too shabby as a little treat and 1 snack credit.

PARichards

Original Poster
If it's hot, the ice cream shop in MK has an ice cream sandwich that could probably be split between 4 kids. You get a huge cookie (think hand size) with several scoops of ice cream on it and another cookie on top. Deconstruct that and each kid gets half a cookie with some ice cream. Not too shabby as a little treat and 1 snack credit.

This is so perfect! Um... not to sound dumb, but... I assume there's only one ice cream shop in MK and it isn't hard to find?

acishere

Being in World Showcase during a week-long humidity-wave one summer, I can be glad that Japan has a cultural love of sno-cones (kakigori) and iced green tea (straight, no fruit flavors). :hungry:
(Although they still had Yakitori House that year, not sure what's in the spot now.)
Now it is called Katsura Grill. I'm not a big of a fan of the current food offerings they now have, but the green tea is still there waiting for you.

DisneyJunkie

Snack-wise, I've come to a decision that I prefer to use my options on a coke or rootbeer float.....which you can get basically at any ice cream or little stand in any of the parks. I don't want to use it on a bottle of water, I don't eat much popcorn, and I can bring my own candy with me.....but I like the floats.

Chuckles

The fried rice at the Yak and Yeti (Quick Service) is considered a snack options, I'll get the fried rice as a lunch sometimes, it's pretty good and one of the better values. Good fries and the kids burger isn't bad either.

PARichards

Original Poster
The fried rice at the Yak and Yeti (Quick Service) is considered a snack options, I'll get the fried rice as a lunch sometimes, it's pretty good and one of the better values. Good fries and the kids burger isn't bad either.

Ooh, that sounds so good! Keep 'em coming!

DisneyAubs

Pretty much all of the cupcakes are huge and easily shared, especially when it is so hot!

That ice cream sandwich is also available at Animal Kingdom (Dino Bite Snacks)

The carrot cake cookie at DHS (Writer's Stop) is huge too. Several of the pastries there could easily be shared.

Do yourself a favor though and get a few things at Karmel Kuche in Epcot (Germany). They may not be big enough to share among you all, but sooooo worth the splurge!!!

steamboatjosh

Almost everything at Starring Rolls Cafe is considered a snack credit. It's also supposed to be the best breakfast eatery in the park. It's a great way to get a breakfast without using a meal credit so you can either book another 1 Credit Meal if you wish, or you can put that meal you skipped towards are 2 Credit Meal. We're doing the latter and using it for the Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show at the Poly.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Would they, by chance, cut the ice cream sandwich for us if we asked for it to be split?
It is easy to do it yourself. You simply remove the top cookie (which then you can break in half or leave whole) and use a plastic knife to scoop some ice cream from the bottom cookie and spread it on the top cookie(s).

Because these sandwiches are hand-made (and therefore quite large) it is almost impossible for an adult (let alone a child ) to bite into one whole. They inevitably have to be eaten apart.

Not sure the ice cream shop would have a knife large enough to cut the whole sandwich for you.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom