Government employee discounts?

Queenof<3<3

I tried google but it had mixed information. My husband is a government employee (homeland security) and I was trying to see if there are any discounts at wdw resorts or for tickets?

Bob

B00b
Premium Member
A friend of mine works for a state agency and he gets heavily discounted rates for the resorts whenever they stay there for conventions. Not sure how he gets the rate but I do recall him saying that there are very limited numbers available at each resort.

Upvote 0

Queenof<3<3

Original Poster
Yeah I figured it was military only. But some websites online were saying yes and a large discount and some said no. Figured Ide ask the people that have probably already asked and tried. Booooooo. :(

Upvote 0

cw1982

Really? A discount because you're a government employee? How would that entitle you to a discount versus, I don't know, maybe those of us who are taxed to the max to pay your salary? Gee whiz...

And why does it hurt to ask? "government employee" can mean many things: teacher, police officer, firefighter, librarian, EMS workers... all of whom are service workers of some kind. Yes, tax dollars pay their salaries, but then again, the money that these people put back into the economy when they spend their salaries contributes to everyone else's salaries as much as the next person's. And I know I left some out, but you get my point.

Just because someone asks if they qualify for a discount doesn't necessarily imply that they think they are "entitled;" maybe it means they thought it was worth asking just in case they had missed something that could save them money otherwise. I'm a teacher, and you better believe I look for discounts where ever I can find them; doesn't mean I think anyone owes me a discount. It just means that I know better than to not look into all options because I may be pleasantly surprised.

But to contribute to the original discussion: I too looked into discounts from every angle I could think of LOL. The only discount I could find anywhere was for military personnel, which I don't qualify for, but I do think it's great that Disney honors our military.

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

OK, thread hijackers notwithstanding, your husband should ask his human resources or Administrators about any potential discounts. It's possible that they offer discounts for all sorts of things, hopefully WDW tickets but perhaps other things like tickets for theaters or museums or sporting events, restaurant discounts, local theme parks, stuff like that.

Other than that, it's not theme park tickets but I think Swan/Dolphin offers discounts on rooms to some military personnel, as well as nurses and teachers.

Upvote 0

Queenof<3<3

Original Poster
Yes I saw swan and dolphin offers discounts through a specific website but none available for my dates of travel :( I just heard about shades of green and I'm very happy they have something like that for military. That's awesome.

As for are we entitled to a discount maybe not under most definition. But in today's economy and with three kids that salary doesn't go very far, and even we have to pinch and save and do what we can to afford these trips for our children as much as any employee anywhere. Didn't hurt to ask. We all want/need to save money wether it's $100 or $1.

Next time you go to your favorite sporting event in the stadium tax payers pay for, and spend money to pay athletes salary remember that athlete didn't so jack to protect your family and others from harm. Some even got paid thousands just to sit at a bench. I'm sure they don't have to look for every single loop hole to save money on a vacation but man when they get to disney they sure get VIP treatment they surely feel entitled to.

Upvote 0

dreamfinder

"government employee" can mean many things: teacher, police officer, firefighter, librarian, EMS workers... all of whom are service workers of some kind.

This is why WDW chooses to opt out of offering discounts to most non military groups. It's a slippery slope they don't want to tackle. Your HR dept (heck, even some credit unions) may offer discounts of some sort, usually tickets. But its a rare day when those discounts are better than what resellers like Undercover Tourist offer. Outside of a CM discount, and a few PIN codes, the main discounts are the ones that get ballyhooed every few months. And of course, don't overlook the 5-10% that AAA members are usually eligible for.

Upvote 0

lilfousie09

My husband works for the government. There is a website for government employee discounts. govx.com Disney IS listed. & for the record, government employees really don't make that much. Some positions are considered necessary personnel & even in a state of emergency, have to go to work.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom