WDWMAGIC Takes the Cake - The Official Cake Talk

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Just saw this cake pop up the other night. I've seen cakes like this outside of WDW, but I guess Disney is willing to do them as well...

In case it's not obvious, it's a sushi themed cake. It was done by the Contemporary bakery for $105.

Betsyboo

Hey @HouCuseChickie here's the cake. Not exactly what I thought I was getting and not sure about the price but I was happy with how it turned out. The wait staff at Sanaa was impressed.
image.jpg

There's a candle too making the white mask a little bright. There were several animals around the side and two cute giraffe printed hearts on the front.
image.jpg

All in all I was happy with it. $65 was the price.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Hey @HouCuseChickie here's the cake. Not exactly what I thought I was getting and not sure about the price but I was happy with how it turned out. The wait staff at Sanaa was impressed. View attachment 47002
There's a candle too making the white mask a little bright. There were several animals around the side and two cute giraffe printed hearts on the front.
View attachment 47003
All in all I was happy with it. $65 was the price.

Very cool with the masks! I can't say that I've ever seen them appear on cakes before. Definitely a nice touch for a meal at Sanaa :)

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
@HouCuseChickie
Just heard from the bakery re my Beauty and the Beast cake, the stained glass will not be an issue and they are going to do Belle up wearing her yellow princess gown. She is going to be looking at the rose on the pedestal.... I can't wait to see it!! Thank you so much for the idea! Pictures will follow (in September of course)

So happy to hear they can do the stained glass!!! Awesome news! Can't wait to see it :)

janelove956

OK so I need help. My sister and I will be celebrating our birthdays when we go to Disney the first week of June. I want to have a cake made to be ready for when we arrive at the room as a surprise but I'm not inspired. What could I do? I like Belle and Donald. She likes Olaf.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Yay!! Thank you so much =)

You're welcome :) Hopefully at least one of these ideas sounds good.

My first idea only incorporates Donald and Olaf. It's inspired by Olaf singing "Summer." This idea is going to hinge on the Disney bakeries having access to both edible images listed below...

Both images capture the same vibe for me and feel like they could be placed side by side as stand up edible 2D images on a cake. I think the whole look could be kicked up with edible palm trees, sand, etc. The two cakes below (pardon the unrelated themes) illustrate the sand and trees I'm thinking of...
8626763036_99ee228212.jpg

So, just picture the sand and palm trees with Donald and Olaf. I'd probably go for having the cake done in blue or blue marble if fondant ... just to make it look like water.

My second idea involves all 3 characters. Olaf would be in the middle and Belle & Donald to his sides... so 2D edible images...the front of the cake could have a caption on a white chocolate sheet saying something like "I like warm hugs." No guarantees on what images they'd use, but these were some of the inspiration shots I found.

download

...so basically, trying to find individual images of each character and maybe position them so they're in a cluster that might make it look like they're doing a group hug. As for colors, if you did fondant...you might request a marble of your respective favorite colors. Oh...and disregard the mouse ears...they're part of the image with Mickey and friends hugging. I just thought this might be a good representation of the hug I'm envisioning for the 3 fave characters in your post.

If for some reason the pics suddenly decide they don't want to cooperate, I can try uploading them in a different matter. Not sure if either of these ideas appeal to you either, but it's a starting point at the very least. :)

Edit...and if you like that Donald and Olaf idea, but they don't have those exact images...they probably could do an edible 2D beachy background and then put separate edible 2D stand up images of Donald and Olaf in front of it and then add in the palms and sand.

janelove956

You're welcome :) Hopefully at least one of these ideas sounds good.

My first idea only incorporates Donald and Olaf. It's inspired by Olaf singing "Summer." This idea is going to hinge on the Disney bakeries having access to both edible images listed below...

Both images capture the same vibe for me and feel like they could be placed side by side as stand up edible 2D images on a cake. I think the whole look could be kicked up with edible palm trees, sand, etc. The two cakes below (pardon the unrelated themes) illustrate the sand and trees I'm thinking of...
8626763036_99ee228212.jpg

So, just picture the sand and palm trees with Donald and Olaf. I'd probably go for having the cake done in blue or blue marble if fondant ... just to make it look like water.

My second idea involves all 3 characters. Olaf would be in the middle and Belle & Donald to his sides... so 2D edible images...the front of the cake could have a caption on a white chocolate sheet saying something like "I like warm hugs." No guarantees on what images they'd use, but these were some of the inspiration shots I found.

download

...so basically, trying to find individual images of each character and maybe position them so they're in a cluster that might make it look like they're doing a group hug. As for colors, if you did fondant...you might request a marble of your respective favorite colors. Oh...and disregard the mouse ears...they're part of the image with Mickey and friends hugging. I just thought this might be a good representation of the hug I'm envisioning for the 3 fave characters in your post.

If for some reason the pics suddenly decide they don't want to cooperate, I can try uploading them in a different matter. Not sure if either of these ideas appeal to you either, but it's a starting point at the very least. :)

Edit...and if you like that Donald and Olaf idea, but they don't have those exact images...they probably could do an edible 2D beachy background and then put separate edible 2D stand up images of Donald and Olaf in front of it and then add in the palms and sand.

I love your ideas but I can only see the picture of the stitch cake =/

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
[janelove956, post: 5964274, member: 90389"]I love your ideas but I can only see the picture of the stitch cake =/[/QUOTE]

Grrrrrr....I hate it when my copied pics dont post. I'll have to save them in a different format and post them tomorrow night. Sorry about that :(

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
No problem :)
Are cakes just delivered to restaurants or can they be delivered to your hotel room too?

They can be delivered to your hotel room. If you want to have one delivered to your room, make sure you are ordering through your resort's specific hotline. There is also typically an 18% delivery charge for cakes delivered to resorts.

OK...I think I've got the pic situation resolved.

These are the two pics I had in mind (IF the Disney bakery in ? has access to them or something like them) for a summer themed cake.

olaf-summer.jpg
donald-summer.jpg

Not the best pic, but this was my inspiration pic for the whole Olaf liking warm hugs cake.

mickey-hugs.jpg

If they were to do this, while Belle is clearly the tallest and seems like the obvious choice for the center...but part of me also feels like Olaf should be in the center since he is the one that likes warm hugs. :p It would have to be 3 separate 2D edible standups positioned to look like they're clustered together to sort of look like they're like the characters in the above image.

Either way...at least let me know if the pictures came through this time. :)

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
They most definitely did! I'll call Coronado Springs and see what I can work out with them :)

Cool. Now a word of warning...Coronado's bakery isn't the same as the other bakeries. They have their own list of flavors and they may not have access to Disney images. IF this is the case, you could either go for a more basic cake design to be delivered to your room OR you could go for a cake delivered to a meal from one of the other bakeries. I know you wanted it in your room upon arrival, but it's worth considering if they don't have access to all of the images.

If you go to pg 1 or the pricing update on the previous page...these are the CSR options...

Coronado Springs — 407-827-2253
Cake flavors are chocolate with chocolate mousse, strawberry shortcake, carrot cake (with 72 hours’ notice), mixed berry, and Oreo cookie. Cake sizes are
  • 4-person $20 square cake
  • 5–8-person $30 rectangular cake
  • 10-person $40 round cake
  • 12–16-person $50 rectangular cake

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Things have been on the slow side with cake pics of late so I'm going to hold off posting the 2 pics I've got right now. I did want to post about the closing of Babycakes. I know their closing along with the closing of Pollo Campero (i.e. for Disney Springs) was posted on here and many other Disney forums/sites; however, a lot of people either didn't realize this or didn't realize it meant no cakes from Babycakes. I have no idea if they'll be worked back into the Disney Springs concept, but for now, no cakes from Babycakes beyond the handful of things they seem to be making for certain resorts/restaurants.

bearandbuzz

I wonder if anyone can help me, I need some inspiration and direction as to what I need to do.
I'm from the uk and will be staying at wilderness lodge from 14th August.
I would love to have a special cake delivered to the room for when we arrive, as a surprise for my husband and two sons (age 7 & 9).
It isn't anyone's birthday or our anniversary, it's more as a celebration for the start of our holiday. Is this something that can be done?
Will a 6inch cake be too small for us all?
Does anyone have any ideas as to what theme I can ask for?
Is it at three weeks before that I can order a cake?
Is it best to ask for it to be delivered the arrival day, or better for the day after for any reason?
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
I wonder if anyone can help me, I need some inspiration and direction as to what I need to do.
I'm from the uk and will be staying at wilderness lodge from 14th August.
I would love to have a special cake delivered to the room for when we arrive, as a surprise for my husband and two sons (age 7 & 9).
It isn't anyone's birthday or our anniversary, it's more as a celebration for the start of our holiday. Is this something that can be done?
Will a 6inch cake be too small for us all?
Does anyone have any ideas as to what theme I can ask for?
Is it at three weeks before that I can order a cake?
Is it best to ask for it to be delivered the arrival day, or better for the day after for any reason?
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

While you can order cakes as early as 6 months out, it's usually recommended that you wait until 2-3 weeks out so it doesn't get lost in the shuffle. They can handle custom cake orders (usually) with as little as 48 hours notice, but considering it can take a week for them to get back in touch - I find 2-3 weeks a much safer window to work with for cakes.

As for cake size, 6" would be plenty for the 4 of you; however, your cake will be made by the Contemporary bakery and they usually aren't big on major customization of anything too much smaller than 8". They can still do 6" cakes...they just won't go over the top with décor.

If you want to put in a cake order - you'll call the cake line for Wilderness Lodge at 407-824-2090. While you'll still need to call to place your order via the WL phone number, you can contact the Contemporary bakery via email first at WDW.Contemporary.Cake.Order@disney.com if you'd like to see if they can handle your design and flavor request- they'll also be able to provide you with a quote. You'll then reference this info when placing your order with WL.

As for theme, while some things are off limits, there are TONS of options. I know plenty of people order cakes just for the heck of it and "welcome to WDW" is a very common reason to get a cake. They can usually do white chocolate banners for cakes with a message...so, you could ask them to do one for the front of the cake and have it say something like "Welcome HOME!!!" The next consideration is buttercream or fondant as well as color scheme for either one. There are all kinds of ways they can decorate the sides, border, and top of the cake + edible 2D or 3D character images/toppers as well as flowers and other edible décor are options. I know there are TONS of pics in this thread...so it may be good to just start on pg 1- scroll down a bit- and start looking at all of the cakes for inspiration :)

As for when to have the cake delivered...it is very popular to have a cake waiting for you in your room upon arrival. It just always makes me nervous- i.e. what happens if you've had a travel delay or if your cake is ready for delivery before your room. Still, these are details/concerns you should be able to hash out with the WL cake line. Still, I'd have it delivered early on in your trip so you can snack on it over the course of your vacay.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom