Why is Stitch's Great Escape still there?

cynic710

the ride itself isnt a terrible concept, its the theme that most dislike..but most is not all, there is a group that enjoy the ride, and supposedly enough to keep it going.i miss ae but i dont mind taking some time to ride it, because no matter what, its still a disney attraction. there is good detail and build=up to the attraction and honestly, its something to do. in the event we are in a time constraint we skip it, mostly because we enjoy the other attractions more, as opposed to "hating" this one to the point that i wont give it my time.

i agree with the majority that this has nothing to do with corporate throwing their weight around and making this ride function out of spite. i think logistics are at play, as with everything in disney parks. i really dont believe the suits at disney brass hate their customers, or even remotely dislike them, and thats a foolish thing to assume. profits may be their priority but anything more personal than that is just so unlikely.

meanwhile, for me at least, its going to take something much more terrible than sge to make me think disney corp is trying to stick it to me with an intentional bad attraction.

ddbowdoin

They gear the parks to your average guest, who comes every what... 4-6 years?

The average person walking around MK are not like us, that's what the people here on this forum need to learn.

How many members between us and Disboards? Compare that to the amount of people who cross those gates every year.

We're just a small percentage!

RedFurredCadet

The ride everyone hates, that I am so glad I did not go on...
As I myself am ironically a Stitch fan, I still remain neutral in the subject, but I am open enough to wise up that, one, they killed a glorious prior attraction that only needed a softening down, and two, they didn't think the idea of a Stitch attraction, and all of its pros and cons, very well.
Aww, I think the animatronic Stitch is cute!
One of the positive aspects, I believe, was how far they've gone for the believability of Stitch towards the audience. I can thank the Imagineers for only that advancement of audioanimatronics and that only.

Oh, and does anyone believe that it would be better to replace the ride and follow up the extinct concept for an alien zoo (penned for Tokyo DL's Tomorrowland)... only this time dedicated to them...
Stitchcousins.png

Last edited:

BobConnor

Original Poster
I wish someone would poll some children about this attraction. The 3 or 4 times I've experienced it, the kids around us loved it. And they let out a hearty and giggly "ewwwwww" when the smell kicks in.

I will admit that unless we really need to kill time, we do skip SGE. But I certainly don't hate it.

No offense OP, but as some have said, those are bold assumptions to make without ever experiencing the attraction.

Well this is one place that "bold assumption" came from. Just read some of what they say about, well is it a ride or a show? If its a show, why the painful restraints?

http://www.yelp.com/biz/stitchs-great-escape-orlando

Cmdr_Crimson

Oh, and does anyone believe that it would be better to replace the ride and follow up the extinct concept for an alien zoo (penned for Tokyo DL's Tomorrowland)... only this time dedicated to them...

Makes more sense since he's much more popular in japan and has an Anime to boost.

Magenta Panther

I love the movie "Lilo and Stitch" and I never experienced Alien Encounter. So my hatred for SGE is not based on bias, FWIW. I think it's well-designed visually, and technically impressive. But it's just an awful show. Not funny, not thrilling, just obnoxious. I experienced it once. Never again. I skip it every time I go to WDW and visit "Tomorrowland" (quotations deliberate). I'm all for it being replaced...but with what?

Last edited:

ABQ

Well, aside from the meet and greet that used to take place @ AK, not sure if it still does, this is the only presence of Stitch that I'm aware in the park, isn't it? I give this ride a pass as Stitch reminds me of when the Florida studio actually functioned. It was drawn there, correct? And though I have never liked the character, for some reason, he still appeals to enough people that I suppose he warrants something. But to the OP, I consider it blasphemy that you consider the Tiki Room a waste of space. Boo, hiss.

lazyboy97o

They gear the parks to your average guest, who comes every what... 4-6 years?

The average person walking around MK are not like us, that's what the people here on this forum need to learn.

How many members between us and Disboards? Compare that to the amount of people who cross those gates every year.

We're just a small percentage!
What does frequency of visitation have to do with the quality of a show?

Goofyernmost

Well this is one place that "bold assumption" came from. Just read some of what they say about, well is it a ride or a show? If its a show, why the painful restraints?

http://www.yelp.com/biz/stitchs-great-escape-orlando
The major reason is because it was part of AE. I have ridden it many times and frankly never once have I been "hurt" by the restraints. Again if you have never been on it and know nothing about it, it is part of the anticipation, therefore, part of the show. On a more pessimistic note, as close as everything is, they perhaps needed a way to keep rude guests from getting up mid-show and ruining it for everyone else. It was about the time of AE that this situation started to show up. Now if they could put restraints in CoP it might be a better show for everybody too. Same reason why the trams now have doors (stupid guests) and Splash has safety bars (more stupid guests). In the words of Forrest Gump's Mama... Stupid is as stupid does! Stupid does a lot of stupid lately.:joyfull:

JiminyandTink

I don't mind SGE at all. I'm actually starting to feel like BL Space Ranger Spin is feeling a little bit old (the lazers seem so unresponsive/inaccurate after TSMM). I wouldn't mind if that space was rethemed back to something inspired by "If you had wings/Delta Dreamflight". Although, I would miss the audio-animatronic/projection Buzz Lightyear and the rotating omnimover system.

ddbowdoin

What does frequency of visitation have to do with the quality of a show?

Someone who comes once every 4-6-8-10 years isn't looking at the small details, the idiosyncrasies of characters, or the general aspects of an attraction the way a self-described fan does.

It's like someone who needs a watch and buys a Timex because it works, as opposed to someone who purchases a Rolex submariner and appreciates the history, craftsmanship, and beauty of a hand crafted time piece.

Goofyernmost

Well, aside from the meet and greet that used to take place @ AK, not sure if it still does, this is the only presence of Stitch that I'm aware in the park, isn't it? I give this ride a pass as Stitch reminds me of when the Florida studio actually functioned. It was drawn there, correct? And though I have never liked the character, for some reason, he still appeals to enough people that I suppose he warrants something. But to the OP, I consider it blasphemy that you consider the Tiki Room a waste of space. Boo, hiss.
The last few years I have seen Stitch at Epcot to the right just before SSE. He always seemed to be there. I haven't been for a while so they might have moved him to someplace else, but, he was there for quite a while.

Yes, the lack of respect for the Tiki Birds is shameful and only magnifies the world wide attention deficit that the population seems to possess. If it doesn't raise their heart beat it's no good. Soothing entertainment is no longer an option. What do you think this is, a vacation or what.

lazyboy97o

Someone who comes once every 4-6-8-10 years isn't looking at the small details, the idiosyncrasies of characters, or the general aspects of an attraction the way a self-described fan does.

It's like someone who needs a watch and buys a Timex because it works, as opposed to someone who purchases a Rolex submariner and appreciates the history, craftsmanship, and beauty of a hand crafted time piece.
The problems with Stitch' Great Escape are not small elements. The bigger whole lacks impact. To me it was like spending a lot of money on a nice new watch only to find out that it doesn't keep time well.

AintNoOtherMan

Despite poor ratings, people still go. Mostly first timers who don't know better lol. They probably don't really have a reason to replace it. It may not be worth the expenses at this point, or they may just have more important things to do. I think it'll be gone in the next 10-15 years though.

tl77

They don't have a great track record with that area of Tomorrowland, Buzz Lightyear's Spin, Mosnter's Laugh floor, and Stich are all 3rd generation attractions that "sorta" fit the theme of Tomorrowland... similar to the original attraction of the Speedway/Race Track, I think Stich is there mainly because it's the idea they could come up with that fit the Tomorrowland/outer space theme

acishere

I personally hate the ride. I find it uncomfortable and the whole plot is just obnoxious. Which is strange because I enjoy Its Tough to Be A Bug and that probably gets the same complaints. I don't walk out of that show still smelling the gross stench they spray at you at least. Stitch I feel like I need to wash my face afterwards.

Why is it still there? Cost most likely. The character seems to be popular among children still as well. My cousin's kids love Stitch and have to be dragged away from the ride. Meanwhile I have to ask an attendant to help me sneak out after the pre-show to avoid that torture that they love for some reason.

lunchbox1175

Think about this...If the movie was never even made and this was an "original" attraction and Stitch was a park exclusive character would guests see it differently?
An interesting point, but I would still go with no, I tend to think lackluster is lackluster, doesn't really matter about the exclusivity of it. I think when it comes to exclusivity, it still only matters if it is something you deem as a quality product. I don't personally like SGE, I think its a bit boring and the space could be used for something better, same with the Treehouse and COP, but I'm not going to rant and rave about it because there are people that are experiencing those attractions helping to keep my wait time down elsewhere.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom