Rain ponchos?

KLR

Original Poster
Pretty much every "Disney travel tip" guide says to buy rain ponchos at home to avoid having to buy one at the parks, but can anyone comment on where you have found them? I've looked at the dollar store and Walmart so far with no luck.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Pretty much every "Disney travel tip" guide says to buy rain ponchos at home to avoid having to buy one at the parks, but can anyone comment on where you have found them? I've looked at the dollar store and Walmart so far with no luck.
Go to a sporting goods store, like Dicks or REI. Or, you can always look online.

The price savings isn't as significant as it once was, as the ones sold at the parks (both Disney and Universal) are actually pretty good quality now (years ago they didn't used to be). I still bring the ones we bought at Magic Kingdom in 2010 each year. I think we paid 15 for mine (adult) and 10 for the kiddo.

I stop y a sporting goods store before each trip to Disney to see if there is anything that would make my trip easier / be useful. As I recall, the ponchos as Dicks were around the same price...

PhilharMagician

I bought ours @ Disney and have found them to be made of a much heavier weight plastic than the Walmart versions which are so thin that they tear easily. We have Disney ponchos that we bring back every trip and are a couple are 10 years old and have had plenty of use. When one finally tears I replace it. I tried bringing a good breathable rain coat and found that the coat is just too short and your legs get wet. The ponchos seem to work best.

Last edited:
The ones at Epcot only cost us $6 or $7 each and were well made compared to some of the other brands we saw people wearing. Plus, you can keep them as a souvenir because they have Mickey on them.

KLR

Original Poster
Thanks for all the info! I ended up finding a Totes brand one by chance at Marshalls, so it's pretty good quality, but I'll keep my fingers crossed for no rain or get an extra Mickey one.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I was going to say go to Walmart or a dollar store. :rolleyes:

I bought ours @ Disney and have found them to be made of a much heavier weight plastic than the Walmart versions which are so thin that they tear easily. We have Disney ponchos that we bring back every trip and are a couple are 10 years old and have had plenty of use. When one finally tears I replace it. I tried bringing a good breathable rain coat and found that the coat is just too short and your legs get wet. The ponchos seem to work best.

Disney will replace ripped poncho's

PhilharMagician

Umbrellas are the things that people have in front of me @ LMA of Illuminations so I cannot see the show or the thing that hits me in the head when the owner of said umbrella is not paying attention since I am much taller than most.

I am not a fan of umbrellas in a crowded theme park.

ratherbeinwdw

We bought rain suits at Big Lots and KMart for trips where we know it will rain all day or really hard. They work great. We buy the clear ones. The jackets alone are as long as a poncho, and it's so much easier with sleeves than the open sides most ponchos have. They fold very small. We even use them on Kali to keep from being soaked in dirty water all day. For light rain days, we carry the .88 ones from WalMart. They are so tiny they fit in your pocket. The problem right now is that those are seasonal at Wal Mart. I did find some at Dicks, but they are 1.99.
Make sure that the ones you buy are sealed on the sides, or you still get wet. Also, even though you can get them two to a pack at dollar stores, those seem to tear much easier than the Wal Mart/Dicks ones, and they aren't as long.

ratherbeinwdw

As long as it's a Disney poncho they will replace it - no matter how old it is. You do not need to show the receipt
I don't think that's true anymore. I was told they quit replacing them a couple of years ago. We bought some in 2009 that were thick but stiff. We bought some more in 2011 and they were nice and soft, but much thinner.

G00fyDad

Umbrellas are the things that people have in front of me @ LMA of Illuminations so I cannot see the show or the thing that hits me in the head when the owner of said umbrella is not paying attention since I am much taller than most.

I am not a fan of umbrellas in a crowded theme park.

Fair point. I suppose I just pay better attention to what I do with the umbrella. Of course that cannot be said for everyone. And why would anybody need an umbrella at Lights Motor Action? For that matter why would anybody have any umbrella open in a crowd of people trying to watch a show or fireworks?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom