Splash Mountain closing for annual refurbishment in January 2014

wsmith1978

Ok, I'm officially annoyed by this at this point. I know you can't have your cake and eat it too... if you want the rides to be kept in good shape, they have to be refurbed, but I'm sorry, I do see something wrong with a major attraction that needs to be closed for an entire month every year. Can't they figure something else out here?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Ok, I'm officially annoyed by this at this point. I know you can't have your cake and eat it too... if you want the rides to be kept in good shape, they have to be refurbed, but I'm sorry, I do see something wrong with a major attraction that needs to be closed for an entire month every year. Can't they figure something else out here?
Take the water out and they can stop the refurbs. Water destroys everything it touches.

harryk

Ride does take a lot of maintenance. We go every December and frequently it is shut down for several hours at a time for some maintenance reason. Not surprised to see that it closes yearly for a refurb.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Has it always closed ever year? I've only been going to WDW for 5 years, so I don't know the history.
Pretty much. There have been times when it has been shortened and/or pushed back and the quality of the ride suffered as a result. They just did a 3 month +/- refurb on it last time and the attraction looks great with more effects working that I ever remember seeing.

In all honesty, I wish they would do this with every attraction.

Sassagoula-Rvr

Not trying to hate on you specifically...but this is why Disney is danged if ya do, danged if you don't...they take an attraction down for refurb to keep it in good shape...and people complain...they keep attraction open for EVERYONE...and people complain about the state of repairs...the simple fact of the matter is, with Parks operating an insane number of hours per day (think about it, ESPECIALLY on EMH although I love the late nights in MK) it's incredible they are able to even keep everything functioning with so little down time.

I would LOVE to see just how busy the parks are after hours...they must have an army.

But I sympathize with you...Splash was down in Feb for my trip...but I hear it looks amazing now!! Just hoping it stays that way until the Holiday trip!

ToTBellHop

I always go in the winter, it's no favor to me. I love that ride, and I ride it every year (if it's open). It's not like you get soaked.
~shrugs~ Don't go in January if it's that important. Kali will probably be closed, too. Water rides are wrecked by the FL humidity and January makes the most sense to close a wet ride since the parks are dead for much of the month and it is the coldest month of the year.

Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.

Cmdr_Crimson

Well, at least It will be open during the Start of my second week staying out there..

EDIT: My rage shall now boil due to the extention that has just been announced...
nostalgia-critic-stupid-o.gif

Last edited:

wsmith1978

Not trying to hate on you specifically...but this is why Disney is danged if ya do, danged if you don't...they take an attraction down for refurb to keep it in good shape...and people complain...they keep attraction open for EVERYONE...and people complain about the state of repairs...the simple fact of the matter is, with Parks operating an insane number of hours per day (think about it, ESPECIALLY on EMH although I love the late nights in MK) it's incredible they are able to even keep everything functioning with so little down time.

I would LOVE to see just how busy the parks are after hours...they must have an army.

But I sympathize with you...Splash was down in Feb for my trip...but I hear it looks amazing now!! Just hoping it stays that way until the Holiday trip!

I know what you mean, and I know I'm hypocritical for even complaining because I want them to keep up on rides... It's easy to sit back and wonder why people are complaining about things when you're not going to be there during the refurb, but then when it effects you, you feel differently... :D

Pixie VaVoom

Bummer, I am going the 3rd week of January, but at least it is NOT Space Mountain...that is my Favorite!!! ...and Haunted Mansion...and Pirates...and Small World...and Thunder Mountain. Aw heck!! I need to just MOVE in there!!

ToTBellHop

Bummer, I am going the 3rd week of January, but at least it is NOT Space Mountain...that is my Favorite!!! ...and Haunted Mansion...and Pirates...and Small World...and Thunder Mountain. Aw heck!! I need to just MOVE in there!!
There will certainly be further closures in January, but THOSE ONES should be safe.

ToTBellHop

'annual refurb' - I didn't know TDO knew what those were!

Yeah for maintenance!!!

To those moaning about refurbs... when you go at the slowest time of year.. that's a compromise you accept.
In exchange for shorter weights and comfortable temperatures. It's so nice to not feel like a salamander from all of the sweat.

hpyhnt 1000

Pretty much. There have been times when it has been shortened and/or pushed back and the quality of the ride suffered as a result. They just did a 3 month +/- refurb on it last time and the attraction looks great with more effects working that I ever remember seeing.

In all honesty, I wish they would do this with every attraction.

Same here. I wish Disney would just regularly start scheduling refurbishments during the winter months (Jan - Mar) and make it known that this is the new normal. Get the word out there so people know that if you book a vacation during this time, approximately 15-20% of a park's attractions will be closed for significant refurbishment. Winter is the closest thing WDW has to a "slow time" so might as well take advantage of it and prepare for the busy spring and summer months. And if they are so concerned about people not coming, then throw in some free dining or knock 10 bucks off the price of admission (sheer fantasy, I know, but I can dream).

Its a win win for everyone. Attractions are kept in better condition and see significant refurbishment ~5 years, guests won't feel quite as shafted because they get a token discount in return, and there is predictability so no one's vacation is "ruined" because management decides to (seemingly) randomly close Pirates for the month of September for refurb.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom