What's up with the not so scary Halloween party

PolynesianPrincess

Yeah I'm not a parade person, but this one is pretty fun. The headless horseman was great.

We missed the headless horseman BOTH parades last year. The first parade we didn't see him because we were in the confectionary and decided to watch the parade just as it came down Main St. So we planned to also sit and watch the second parade, mostly just for the headless horseman. Before the parade was supposed to start though, they said he wouldn't be riding since the ground was wet :( So that is definitely our mission this time, to see him.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
MNSSHP is better than any other "after hours" party:

1 - trick or treating/free candy - HELLO
2 - costumes! Love seeing everyone dressed up!
3 - Boo to you parade with the headless horseman - priceless
4 - hallowwishes - epic!

ddrongowski

So if I'm already physically in magic kingdom, and MNSSHP starts why do I have to buy tickets for it. Do they close the park and kick everyone else out.
As others have already said.
You will not be allowed to stay in the park after MNSSHP starts unless you have a MNSSHP ticket to exchange for a MNSSHP wrist band. You will also not be allowed to buy anything or go into any stores, etc... in the park. All you will be able to do it leave the Magic Kingdom.

The CM's have this perfected. Yes you hear those that did not purchase the hard ticket sometimes complain, but that is life at WDW.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
We missed the headless horseman BOTH parades last year. The first parade we didn't see him because we were in the confectionary and decided to watch the parade just as it came down Main St. So we planned to also sit and watch the second parade, mostly just for the headless horseman. Before the parade was supposed to start though, they said he wouldn't be riding since the ground was wet :( So that is definitely our mission this time, to see him.

Headless and his horse wiped out last year on Main Street do to wetness. Not surprised Disney stopped sending him when when wet. For those who can't go to the party he returns to Ft. Wilderness in costume to the horses digs.

What is puzzling me is Disney is doing a free hard ticket special meet up Treat-Up. Just finding it kinda classless to have a Disney event by invite only during a hard ticket event. Even worse to hold the Treat-Up on Yom Kippur. Even this Catholic girl knows you don't schedule an event like Treat-Up on the holiest of the Jewish holidays.

joanna71985

I'm ever so hopeful the elusive picture with Malificent comes to pass..lol I feel like Im a stalker..:cautious:

If you go to MNSSHP, she comes down for pictures after the castle show. For her, I would find out where her line starts before the show, so that way you can be there before she comes down (her line is usually the longest)

KCheatle

I love MNSSHP. I was skeptical the first time we went because it is a lot of money. But, one of our favorite Disney memories of all time is from that party. There are so few people there that it becomes like you're in a commercial - like the characters really do just freely interact with groups of people! My daughter danced with Woody and Jessie for over an hour - like holding hands, twirling around danced! Not to mention how amazing the parade was (and I'm NOT a "parade person"). Yes, it's expensive ($240 extra for my family this year) and I get where you're coming from with the "but I already paid to go to Disney?!?!" However, it is nice to have the crowds even lower then they already are in September for this party with all of these awesome characters. We were willing to fork over the $$ for that opportunity again.

sgtmgd

If you go to MNSSHP, she comes down for pictures after the castle show. For her, I would find out where her line starts before the show, so that way you can be there before she comes down (her line is usually the longest)
Thats great information!

DanStat

Getting to see rare characters in the parks, like Snow White and all seven dwarves was well worth the price of admission. Additionally, the trick-or-treating, special version of Wishes and the extremely cool parade are all great reasons to visit. It's also nice to see the Haunted Mansion with eerie lighting and smoke! If you've never been, try it at least once!

Nemo14

@luv posts this is most MNSSHP threads, but I haven't seen her around today, so here you go:

Hard to say if someone else will like it. If you think you would, I bet you would. If you think you wouldn't, there is still a good chance that you would. :)

I post this in like every thread on the MNSSHP topic...

MNSSHP: luv's Not To Be Missed List... :)

(This is just my personal thing and not official in any way. Caveat emptor - and you didn't pay me, anyway, so you get what you get.:))

1. Headless Horseman - he rides before the parades and may be the highlight of the night. (Doesn't ride if the ground is wet and not safe for the horse.)

2. The Boo to You parade, which starts in Frontierland, goes to the hub and on down Main Street, is Disney's best parade, all year long. Try to get a good seat. By "good", I mean on the curb or at the rope. No one place is much better than any other, IMO. But it's more fun if you can see the Headless Horseman and parade stuff easily. Also, at the end, they hand out suckers to KIDS in the front, so a little extra bonus for your time and trouble invested in being up front and defending your spot. The 2012 parades were at 8:15 and 10:30.

3. Fireworks. The fireworks ("Hallowishes") themselves aren't all that amazing, but they're fun and the soundtrack is awesome.

4. The Haunted Mansion. The ride is the same, but there is a ghost who will chat with you as you enter the line and the staff are all decked out. Pretty cool.

5. The barbershop quartet. They're dressed for Halloween and sing Halloweeny songs. One of my favorite parts.

6. The Villains Mix n Mingle. The villains sing and dance on the castle stage and them come down for brief meet n greets. I don't go meet the Villains. If you want to do that, be up front and ready to book over to them when they come down. They don't stay long! But the show is good.

NEW THIS YEAR!! A new Celebrate The Magic (show projected on the castle before the fireworks) will be done. Per the Mickey Monitor, "the sneakiest and most infamous Disney villains will do their best to bring their creepiness to the towers and turrets." (I'm a little excited about this. :))

Trick-or-Treating - for kids and adults alike. They give you a small plastic bag when you enter. Wherever they hand out wristbands, they'll be handing out bags. They also sell a larger and more sturdy bag, if you want to get that. If your kid has a favorite pumpkin or something that they like to collect candy in, you can bring it. Lines get shorter later in the night. Sometimes there are candy trails - the one that begins in Fantasyland, back by Dumbo, and ends by Space Mountain is used more often than not...and it only runs one-way, so don't try to start it in Tomorrowland. Won't happen. :)

Meet & Greets - multiple character meet n greets (e.g. Seven Dwarfs! All together!) are set up around the park. My favorite is the one where you stand in a hitchhiking pose and they add the HM hitchhiking ghosts to it later. Jack Skellington and Sally (new in 2013) will be in Town Square. Phineas and Ferb (also new for 2013) will be on Main Street, before the parade. You can do M&Gs with characters wearing costumes, too. There are a bunch, but the lines do build, especially for the 7 Dwarfs. A lot of people start lining up for the dwarfs before the party begins.

Dance parties - for little kids (or anyone, really) - they're pretty loud, but the characters do a nice job with the kids. I generally avoid these, but the little kids are very cute, dancing with the characters. Monsters, Inc. characters will be on the stage in Tomorrowland, hosting a dance party

Souvenirs - party-specific stuff to buy, if you want something from the event, like a pin or whatever. People have posted that they run out of T-shirts early in the evening, so if you want one, you might want to get there early. (I personally think they are kind of ugly and wouldn't bother, but to each, his own. :)) There is no running out of pins! And no lack of selection on pins, either. If you like to buy pins, you can drop a bundle.

Tickets - MNSSHP is a "hard ticket" event. You will need a MNSSHP ticket to attend. (You do not need separate admission to the park.) The party is a park-wide event and your party ticket gives you access to all of it. I don't buy mine until the day of the party because I won't go in the rain. But if you put off buying a ticket until the day of the party, you risk having them sell out. It's a hard choice to make. Party dates and ticket prices can be found here: http://www.wdwmagic.com/events/mick...-scary-halloween-party-ticket-now-on-sale.htm

Passholder Advance Purchase Discounts for 2013:
-September 10, 13, 17, 20, 24, 27 - $56 adult, $51 children 3-9 (plus tax).
-September 29, October 3, 6, 10, 14, 17, 20, 22, 24 - $58 adult, $53 children 3-9 (plus tax.)
-If you have an AP that gives you free parking, it doesn't cover MNSSHP. So, be sure to get through the toll plaza before 7:00. If you don't, be prepared to pony up the dough, flyboy! ($15)

Wristbands - they'll give you one when you enter, if you enter around party time. Multiple places where you can pick one up if you've been in the park during the day - just give them your party ticket. You'll need to show your wristband periodically to the wristband police, who set up human blockades to prevent people who didn't pay for the party from being there. They even interrupted us while we were eating once and demanded to see our wristbands.

Maps - there are special park maps, just for the party. It lists the rides and places to eat that are open during the party, dance party and Trick-or-Treat locations...and has the all-important parade, villain show and fireworks times. They're cute, too. :) Pick one up! Whenever these maps come out, you will find the info here, so you can check it all out before you go, if you want. Last year's map: http://www.wdwmagic.com/events/mick...t-so-scary-halloween-party-guide-map-2012.htm

Weather - can be very hot (especially September or early October) or be cold (especially later in October.)

Costumes - No way to predict temps, so if you have costumes, try to make them adaptable to any temp. Because that's so easy, lol. :) Adults can dress up, too (but it isn't required. Some do, some don't. Whatever you choose, you won't feel out of place.) Some people go all out on their costumes and some are very funny, so it's entertaining to see them all. Disney frowns upon and may not let you wear masks that will obscure your vision, so leave those out. It is the only time of year that adults can go to the parks in Disney character costumes and many do. I don't know what the rule is on what time you can enter the park with your costume on, but have seen people in costumes as early as four or five o'clock. You can get spooky with the costumes, but not too gory.

Although the party begins at 7:00, they usually allow people with just a party ticket into the MK around 4:00.

If you all are into the horror part of Halloween, check out Halloween Horror Nights at Uni. Tons of fun...but not for children!

Have a great time!!!!

zeebs758

In the Parks
Yes
  1. I had so many questions like you earlier this year. I am going to the party on October 14th and I can't wait. I wasn't sure if it was worth but I was convinced. If there is one piece of advice I can give you, many people told me to skip the rides that night. You have to ride the Haunted Mansion which is a must. But decicate your night to the characters and special events. Plan another day to visit the Magic Kingdom to do the rides.

ddbowdoin

I have never been, so I suppose you should take my opinion with a grain of salt but I'd look at the scenario this way; you've already spent so much money what's an extra ____$ for the vacation. It's almost always "worth it" when you're looking to experience something new at Disney. I spent 4 grand on a recent trip, but why would I then skip "the seeds behind the tour" if I hadn't experienced it before, would the extra 20 dollars really break me?

Crazydisneyfanluke

1. I had so many questions like you earlier this year. I am going to the party on October 14th and I can't wait. I wasn't sure if it was worth but I was convinced. If there is one piece of advice I can give you, many people told me to skip the rides that night. You have to ride the Haunted Mansion which is a must. But decicate your night to the characters and special events. Plan another day to visit the Magic Kingdom to do the rides.
I am going to arrive at 4pm to do the rides before dinner.Then during the party do M&G and trick or treating.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom