Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
Sad, but predictable. Largely a result of rubes taking their first cruises on the new Disney ships and not understanding that people dress for dinner on one.Look, I love DCL and have multiple cruises booked over the rest of this year and all of 2014. But if they start Walmarting it a la WDW, then they'll lose me because I have had great cruising experiences with EVERY line I have sailed with except Celebrity (but that's sorta OK because I got my ounce of guest recovery and then some when the head of the company was fired and I had nothing at all to do with that, right @Lee?)

Let the Walmarting begin

Really? I was taking 2 suits this time to go with my normal coat and pants selection. How hard or expensive can it be to get dressed for dinner? I look good in all attire, ( :D ) but put a suit on me and it's "hello double-oh-seven..." "Can I get you a drink, Mr. Draper?...."Shall I pull the car around, Mr. Wayne?" I could go on....

But seriously... A cruise should still have etiquette and manners, as it's still the most elegant form of travel.

*1023*

P.S. Anyone think the right hat could change the world?

{Edited to add a comma and this.}

WDW1974

Original Poster
Been following along this thread for a while. Lots of pointless bickering. NGE is a real concern that mirrors society at large. I fear larger issues are being drowned in meaningless noise. Always follow the money. Billions of dollars being spent on NGE clearly isn't for the benefit of making FP reservations. I don't think most will see through the shallow veneer of the program.

As for WDW, they are merely reaping the fruits of decades of incompetent management... I have yet to be impressed by any of them. Office politics isn't unique to WDW, yet the lack of visionary leadership is clearly hurting WDW. I still remember Lee Cockerell's missives as being ridiculous--and he was running the place. It trickled down...

Conformity is par for the course at Disney these days. To paraphrase a well-known former Disney guy "Walt is gone. We missed it." Unique personalities have been pushed out (a la Tony) or fenced off in a harmless corner (Joe Rhode). 'Tis a shame.

Lee Cockerell, for all his books and speaking deals and putting his son in position to one day head the resort, is little more than a snake oil salesman. His daily affirmations remind of what slimy Lou Mongello Tweets to his flock daily. Lee's whole deal upon being hired away from Marriott was that WDW, which was doing quite well, was fundamentally broken product that he needed to fix in that vomit-inducing 90s MBA way.

There are few people that I feel are as responsible for the decline of WDW as Lee.

WDW1974

Original Poster
My day job has been hopping (and changed a year ago). We need to walk Epcot again or something. I realized the person I passed in Marketplace a few months ago was YOU, but only a few minutes after we passed each other. ARGH!

Ah, so you did notice! By the time I realized it was you, I was well into what used go be PI, with a group and on a phone call. It was a bizarre night in many ways (that won't be discussed here). But we should hang out the next time I am up there (hint: not until the weather improves!)

Goofyernmost

I am a big fan of technology especially since I work in a tech job, but when I hear things like " she was having trouble activating my RapidFill mug" I know it's a case of technology gone to far. Having trouble activating a mug! :banghead:
Technology gone too far or IT's people with little or no ability to solve problems?

englanddg

One Little Spark...
My opinion: you should have given yours to the manager.

Probably...but I get the general feeling that lower level shift managers aren't really paid much mind in the hierarchy, and higher level middle managers (like the ones who were here today for the POFQ roll out), don't really care. It was like when I went to Coral Reef...I spent way too long in restaurants to pull punches, so I tend not to complain.

I would have informed her that I found the condition of the trash cans nasty (food, refuse and other items piled up outside them), the fact that the same bottle of non-sugar syrup from breakfast was on the exterior table when we got back at 11p, and that the table was still covered in powdered sugar from it (as well as two of the other exterior tables). I would have complained that interior tables were disgusting and sticky.

That the Beverage Bar is consistently disgusting and either under stocked or over stocked (yes, you can overstock a beverage bar...for example, if you pile the lids up too high, then when people go to grab a lid, the "tower" topples, and then lids end up all over. Rarely do guests toss those lids away for you...) I would also have said that I have stayed at three other Disney resorts (CBR / Pop / Contemporary) and can't recall a quickservice food court being so consistently filthy ever.

And, I would have pointed out the roach that sat in the middle of the floor near my table for the near two hours I sat down there working on my trip report.

I assume that this would have upset her, and accomplished nothing. If the management above her doesn't care that her shifts are run so poorly, then any detailed observations from a mere "guest" will accomplish nothing.

No...it's better that I just keep my mouth shut.

This morning, one manager did them scurry over after a few moments when he saw me at the beverage bar instructing a family that their mugs were expired (the LCD screen told them) and that they should go see one of the cashiers...(yep, mugs weren't activated properly, and the mom was confused and a bit upset "We JUST paid for THERE!)...By the way, I helped them because they were in my way to get my own soda!...

Oh...and the beverage bars? Still a mess. And the RFID trays? Soda all over them (what do you expect?)...putting an obstruction underneath a spout that shoots out carbonated sugar water all day...is probably not a good idea. Especially when the tray has all sorts of neat crevices, etc, to accumulate soda gunk on.

But, someone with a paper cup needs to wait a few minutes for a refill, and people can't steal sodas using their room coffee cups or water park refillable mugs anymore!

Win for Disney!

englanddg

One Little Spark...
It's also possible that IT is delivering exactly what they are asked to deliver and those asking don't understand what they need? Happens more than you think especially when the big dogs don't ask IT for their advice or suggestions but give orders
This is an excellent point. Many people (including many I work with) tend to not have fully thought out what they want from IT.

Many IT departments organize themselves (or have been organized) to be reactive as well, in fact, it's very easy to fall into that mentality...and it is an issue. Especially if management doesn't have a clue...(many of whom have very little idea what they are talking about...they read Lifehacker twice a month and consider themselves technical gurus)...

Why is it an issue? Well, when it goes right, IT will get no credit, the manager will. When it goes sour, the manager won't garnish any blame, IT will be blamed.

That's why I run mine with an iron fist that is all up in field operations faces about what they should and shouldn't be doing (whenever it crosses into my domain)...and I keep metrics to put field managers in their place once they start going down that road.

"The phone system is messed up!"

"Your agent only spent 20 minutes out of an 8 hour workday on the phone...please, tell me what is wrong with it and why, if the agent had an issue, she didn't contact the helpdesk when the issue occurred?"

"Ummm...er....uhhhh..."

Managers also like to use IT to be lazy. I remember when the Director of Sales wanted to increase suggestive selling, so...her solution was for me to put a popup on multiple screens in our POS system to "remind" agents to ask...

I said "I can do that for you, but I don't think it will work. This is really a trained and enforced behavior. If I put a popup, what the end users will learn to do is ignore it and click through it."

Guess what end users learned to do. :p

She kept it up for a year before she finally admitted that it wasn't going to work (because that sort of thing doesn't work...if you want people to suggestive sell, you need to lead them to water, not point them towards lake)...

<sigh>

KevinYee

Ah, so you did notice! By the time I realized it was you, I was well into what used go be PI, with a group and on a phone call. It was a bizarre night in many ways (that won't be discussed here). But we should hang out the next time I am up there (hint: not until the weather improves!)

I did say hi to B. as we passed him, but your face registered as familiar without triggering the automatic name... so it was a few minutes before I realized it. And I felt really dumb, cuz I totally should have known faster.

Anyway, yes, send advance notice and we will walk a park somewhere!

WDWFanDave

Things move really fast on this thread. Sometimes I feel that someone makes a good point worthy of discussion but it gets buried behind a page or 2 of back and forth bickering about nothing. I'm as guilty as anyone of engaging in this. Let's just agree to ignore the people who are bringing nothing to the table instead of calling them trolls or responding to them.

On to actual discussion: are you saying if I'm going in November I won't have a choice? I was really hoping to get 1 more trip in before this "experiment" went live.
I'd been trying to find that answer, when all of this started just opening up on the MDE site, and felt shoehorned into using it, but out of fear of them actually deciding that this was a full-on live roll-out, albeit a quiet one. I decided to go this year because I thought the value was good, and I hoped to get a trip in before this all happened (MM+). Actually contemplated canceling, but feel like we're seasoned enough and as long as the park tickets work, I don't really care if the room charge does; also hoping it won't be so busy that the FPP matters all that much-looking at it as a bonus if it does.

Needless to say, I consider myself fortunate to be able to see all the experiences and opinions on here, and am able to head there with eyes wide open and realistic expectations.

I definitely plan to be vocal if it interferes in a negative way with our time there.

And, I'm hoping that I might actually run into someone of some stature while there, as I will be ready to let them know why, in advance, it'll be the last time for some time, that we will venture there.

stevehousse

So now everyone can order magic bands and do ffp??? Can I only do this 60 days out at the earliest or can I order bands today an then do ffp once I hit 60 days? Also what resort are you staying at when u noticed you could go an do this? I it a testing resort or not?

WDWFanDave

So now everyone can order magic bands and do ffp??? Can I only do this 60 days out at the earliest or can I order bands today an then do ffp once I hit 60 days? Also what resort are you staying at when u noticed you could go an do this? I it a testing resort or not?
We're at PORS, and I just did the FPP a few days ago (we're going later in Sept); ordered the bands today (read a tip elsewhere on these boards that if you previously did online check in to do it again and that would open up band ordering). Evidently there's a deadline for ordering custom bands that's like 30 days before check in.

Sorry I don't have more than that to add. Best I can say is to keep checking MDE each day for the FPP, and that'll be the best indication.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I'd been trying to find that answer, when all of this started just opening up on the MDE site, and felt shoehorned into using it, but out of fear of them actually deciding that this was a full-on live roll-out, albeit a quiet one. I decided to go this year because I thought the value was good, and I hoped to get a trip in before this all happened (MM+). Actually contemplated canceling, but feel like we're seasoned enough and as long as the park tickets work, I don't really care if the room charge does; also hoping it won't be so busy that the FPP matters all that much-looking at it as a bonus if it does.

Needless to say, I consider myself fortunate to be able to see all the experiences and opinions on here, and am able to head there with eyes wide open and realistic expectations.

I definitely plan to be vocal if it interferes in a negative way with our time there.

And, I'm hoping that I might actually run into someone of some stature while there, as I will be ready to let them know why, in advance, it'll be the last time for some time, that we will venture there.
Interesting. When are you going? I have a trip scheduled for Nov but when I click on the Manage Magic Bands button it gives me a screen that says the magic bands will be offered later this year. Here's what the page says:

MagicBands and cards are all-in-one devices that serve as your “ticket,” “room key” and more. With a MagicBand on your wrist or a card in your pocket, you’ll travel lighter throughout your vacation. With the introduction of FastPass+, your MagicBand or card will even allow you to check in at FastPass+ locations.

Touch-enabled cards are available now. MagicBands are currently being tested and will be available in the coming months.

Disney magic has never been more seamless.
Use your card or MagicBand to:
  • Unlock the door of your Disney Resort hotel room.
  • Enter theme and water parks (with valid theme park admission).
Later this year, you’ll also be able to use your card or MagicBand to:
  • Check in at Fastpass+ entrances (with the introduction of FastPass+).
  • Connect Disney PhotoPass images to your account.
MagicBands are coming soon.
MagicBands are currently being tested by a limited number of pre-selected Guests. Due to the nature of the test, we are unable to accommodate requests to participate.

In the coming months, MagicBands will be offered to Walt Disney World passholders and Guests staying at select Walt Disney World Resorts. All other Guests will receive one of the new cards.

Get started now.
If you’re participating in the MyMagic+ test, be sure you:
  • Create your Family & Friends list to connect to everyone in your travel group.
  • Customize your MagicBands by the date shown on your Magicbands and Cards page.
  • Carry your MagicBands with you, and not packed in your luggage, so you’ll have them available upon arrival.
Whether you’re involved in the test or not, be sure your tickets and Disney Resort hotel reservations are linked to your account so you’ll be ready for the magic the moment you arrive.
Link Reservations and Tickets

If you’re planning your Disney vacation, use Family & Friends to connect to everyone you’ll be traveling with.
Create Your Family & Friends List

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
The 10 "New" Rules of the Seasoned Walt Disney World Vacationeer after NGE! (misspelling intentional...)

1. I am setting prejudice and conjecture aside for my trip.
2. I will have a positive approach to my vacation as I always do.
3. I will be prepared and informed when difficulties arise.
4. I will not take out frustrations on my family or front line Cast Members.
5. I will try not to look for every type of scanning device.
6. I will not let my server know that I don't like them knowing what my next itinerary item is.
7. I will not cause a scene in the Chase Lounge by describing the invasion of privacy they are participating in.
8. I will enjoy a waterproof form of payment sliding down a water slide.
9. I will give the MyMagic+, FastPass+, and MagicBand every opportunity to impress me.
10.I will not forget to use my discounts.

*1023*

"When we consider a project, we really study it--not just the surface idea, but everything about it. And when we go into that new project, we believe in it all the way. We have confidence in our ability to do it right. And we work hard to do the best possible job." - Walt Disney

stevehousse

Interesting. When are you going? I have a trip scheduled for Nov but when I click on the Manage Magic Bands button it gives me a screen that says the magic bands will be offered later this year. Here's what the page says:

MagicBands and cards are all-in-one devices that serve as your “ticket,” “room key” and more. With a MagicBand on your wrist or a card in your pocket, you’ll travel lighter throughout your vacation. With the introduction of FastPass+, your MagicBand or card will even allow you to check in at FastPass+ locations.

Touch-enabled cards are available now. MagicBands are currently being tested and will be available in the coming months.

MagicBands are currently being tested by a limited number of pre-selected Guests. Due to the nature of the test, we are unable to accommodate requests to participate.

In the coming months, MagicBands will be offered to Walt Disney World passholders and Guests staying at select Walt Disney World Resorts. All other Guests will receive one of the new cards.

Get started now.
  • Create your Family & Friends list to connect to everyone in your travel group.
  • Customize your MagicBands by the date shown on your Magicbands and Cards page.
  • Carry your MagicBands with you, and not packed in your luggage, so you’ll have them available upon arrival.
Whether you’re involved in the test or not, be sure your tickets and Disney Resort hotel reservations are linked to your account so you’ll be ready for the magic the moment you arrive.

If you’re planning your Disney vacation, use Family & Friends to connect to everyone you’ll be traveling with.
Create Your Family & Friends List

We are going in November as well and I get the same thing...even with all the negativity surrounding it, I do want to try it out and see what happens. We r staying at ASMovie nov 12-18...

WDWFanDave

We are going later in Sept (but before F&W). My screen showed the same until I re-did the online check in, and then it opened up the customize bands section.

Get started now.

Create Your Family & Friends List[/quote

Clamman73

Kind of an open sided statement there. Whom are you referring too and what do you mean exactly?

Just a general statement about how this soda machine technology is meant to put money in Disney's pocket, but at the expense of people having to deal with a new technology that at this point has become so sad, that it's funny. Someone's going to flip out someday if it becomes such a hassle to just get a freakin' cup of soda at Disney World.

theRIOT

Excuse this non-sequitor but I had a very unusual incident happen to me over the weekend at a Disney Store.

My wife and I were shopping for some Magical slippers for the little ones at the Disney store in our mall in NJ. We decided on the 2 we wanted to purchase and I told my wife to go ahead and get in line at the pretzel joint down the road. I waited at the registered and was greeted be a very friendly CM. We had a few nice words but during the transaction I took out my card and was going to swipe. She told me "here I'll do it for you" and started to swipe it at the register. She turned the card around and said it's not signed I need to see ID. I explained that this was my wife's card(we like to use a seperate account for miscelaneous purchases-and the card is in her name) and she doesn't sign it for security reasons. She said well we'll put the purchase to the side and wait for her to come back or use a different card.

So I called my wife to come back and show ID so I could make the purchase. Now, I know if you go to some states this occurs from time to time. In NJ this is unheard of. In the last 10 years I have been asked for ID a total of never. It doesnt matter signed, different gender name...it's just not a priority for NJ merchants.

Waiting for my wife to come back I approached the manager and asked her the deal. She said it for security. when I explained how this never happens she told me, we started doing this so we make sure we have "accurate information".

Any CMs out there at a Disney Store know about this new "precaution" did I just stumble upon the wrong cashier? Just a little strange considering all the other data mining coalescing at the parks.

It's a Disney Store thing. But then again only certain CM's at the one we frequent do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom