HORIZONS 30th Anniversary

Big C 73

Original Poster
Horizons, the no longer near future that many love and cherish. This thread is to celebrate the wonderful attraction that has touched every single soul in some way by presenting a near and realistic future that we can all imagine easily. It gave us hope for tomorrow, to dream, to imagine, to wonder, and to do. Following a family in their lives of 21st Century living, we could easily see ourselves there. No other attraction that has graced this earth will ever do the amount of entertainment, learning, and amazing like this attraction could. No matter if you experience Horizons through video, memories, or family it still touches everyone.

To celebrate Horizon's 30th Anniversary on October 1st, 2013, I dedicate this thread to share memories, pictures, stories, discussion, and more.

"If We Can Dream It, We Can Do It"

HOROZONS-EPCOT Center

tare

Horizons, the no longer near future that many love and cherish. This thread is to celebrate the wonderful attraction that has touched every single soul in some way by presenting a near and realistic future that we can all imagine easily. It gave us hope for tomorrow, to dream, to imagine, to wonder, and to do. Following a family in their lives of 21st Century living, we could easily see ourselves there. No other attraction that has graced this earth will ever do the amount of entertainment, learning, and amazing like this attraction could. No matter if you experience Horizons through video, memories, or family it still touches everyone.

To celebrate Horizon's 30th Anniversary on October 1st, 2013, I dedicate this thread to share memories, pictures, stories, discussion, and more.

"If We Can Dream It, We Can Do It"

HOROZONS-EPCOT Center

Well said!!!

The Empress Lilly

Congratulations to Horizons for its 29th year, 302nd day celebration!

Horizons%20-%20Vista%20Teaser.png

horizons1.png

aladdin2007

"He is not a beachboy! He's studying marine biology there on the floating city"

Horizons 1 is now departing. Our final destination today - the twenty-first century.

Hey, that's some destination.

My wife's right. Wait'll you see the new towns of tomorrow. Desert farms and floating cities - even colonies in space. But you know, this isn't exactly the first time anyone's tried to make this trip. People have been dreaming about the future for centuries.

Tomorrow's horizons are here, today!....

Floating cities ... they're amazing! I mean whole new industries have developed in them and under them. Mariculture, all sorts of marine mining, fuels, energy...

And fun! Remember fun?

I'm serious.

Well so am I. Floating cities have opened up whole new ways for people to enjoy their lives, as well as their work.

Well, we're almost back from the future.

Oh, it went by so quickly.

Yes, but one of the nice things about traveling into the future is that the journey's just beginning.

That's right.

And I'll tell you something ... if we can dream it, we really can do it. And that's the most exciting part.

(okay now Im depressed lol, I want it back!) :arghh:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Back in the 80's, my mother and I first visited WDW. We both loved Epcot overall, and thought that Horizons went way beyond any traditional theme park attraction. It's challenging to articulate my many memories here; but suffice to say that upon exiting the ride, we both were so upbeat and shared our own thoughts about the "possibilities" of exciting developments in the future. Horizons was masterful in getting across its message of dreaming about what "could be" in our future world.

tl77

For me, being old enough to remember before there was EPCOT, Horizons was the best of everything I liked in the Magic Kingdom at the time, all rolled into one huge attraction...

It was a dark ride like The Haunted Mansion, except twice as big, HM is about 7 minutes long, Horizons was closer to 15mins, so it was much longer ride than what you were used to. The technology of it was a "Best of" Tomorrowland from the mid 70's/early 80's, it was kind of a sequel to Carousel of Progress, but with the tour of the future aspect of the WED Way People Mover. It had the giant Omnimax screens similar to If You Had Wings, and the speed ramps out of Space Mountain used to take you through a "Home of the Future" scene which I always really liked, but then the grand finale, the "choose you're own ending" scene was like a precursor to Star Tours.

The experience of it as a kid it seemed like "lots of cool stuff, followed by even more cool stuff, followed by even more cool stuff!" and back it the early 80's you had the fantasy of films like Star Wars on one had and the reality of the Space Shuttle on the other, so sci-fi and outer space, were on everybody's minds back then. But the thing I loved about it the most was that it was very much a Walt Disney style "show", it had all the warmth and fun that all their films had, and that was the reason I personally enjoyed it so much

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom