myMagic+ Upcoming Test(s)

Missymoe4

Evidently the recent test of the system was not satisfactory with guests from select resorts. So another test will start July 22 evidently restricted to Bay Lake Tower guests. Talk about a control group. Most all DVC folks I am sure. Wonder if they will all buy a lot of plastic souvenirs to justify a glowing after test report again.

I received this from a cast member. It was posted on the company employee only web page.

"As part of the test and adjust process for MyMagic+, a test involving Disney Vacation Club Members and renters staying onsite at Bay Lake Tower at Disney’s Contemporary Resort will begin July 22. Selected Guests will be contacted and invited to participate in the test beginning July 12.
Test participants will be able to touch to enter their rooms, touch to enter the park and touch to pay at eligible locations starting upon check-in and continuing through their departure. They also will make and redeem FastPass+ selections at all four theme parks during their stay."

Man, I'll be at the contemporary beginning July 31-Aug 13. I would love to try them out. My family is wishing for them.

Cousin Huet

I was told when asked about testing that some would be done in September and that those invites have not been sent out yet, so I am not so sure how organized they are with this since they have already asked people to try it in October. I just want to see what it is all about myself in order to decide if I want to use it in the future.....we did the parks very successfully without fastpasses the last time so I am up in the air on it right now since we never "charge anything to our room"

LongtimeReader

I took part in a test this weekend. Was invited for a hotel stay and given a magicband and linked it to my credit card. Everything worked flawlessly except the fastpass reservations, and the only glitch they had there was in our favor (when changing our fastpass times it accidentally gave us new passes without deleting the old, so we had 6. We didn't use the accidental passes out of fairness). However it was supremely convenient. We were NOT required to select from pregrouped attractions, we could select whichever ones we wanted. They DID make us choose a park, however. But the fastpasses were grouped very close together, so there was no need to wait for the next one. And it was very easy to change the time of the fastpasses even when it was during the return window. Being able to pay for everything, use it for entry to parks and room, use it for designing a car on Test Track (which actually worked on the ride for the first time I've seen), and use it as the fastpasses was quite enjoyable and really eliminated small hassles. Was it worth all the expense and headaches to create? Possibly not, I suppose we'll know that soon enough. But my friends and I all unanimously thought it was enjoyable and streamlining. The fastpass touch points are lightning fast to turn green, and it displays your name to the cast member in case they choose to speak to your personally.

No idea how worthwhile this will be in the big picture or how complex it will get when the whole resort has them, but if they can get it right, they will be a nice convenience. Oh, and the bands are quite sporty and über comfortable.

bubbles1812

I took part in a test this weekend. Was invited for a hotel stay and given a magicband and linked it to my credit card. Everything worked flawlessly except the fastpass reservations, and the only glitch they had there was in our favor (when changing our fastpass times it accidentally gave us new passes without deleting the old, so we had 6. We didn't use the accidental passes out of fairness). However it was supremely convenient. We were NOT required to select from pregrouped attractions, we could select whichever ones we wanted. They DID make us choose a park, however. But the fastpasses were grouped very close together, so there was no need to wait for the next one. And it was very easy to change the time of the fastpasses even when it was during the return window. Being able to pay for everything, use it for entry to parks and room, use it for designing a car on Test Track (which actually worked on the ride for the first time I've seen), and use it as the fastpasses was quite enjoyable and really eliminated small hassles. Was it worth all the expense and headaches to create? Possibly not, I suppose we'll know that soon enough. But my friends and I all unanimously thought it was enjoyable and streamlining. The fastpass touch points are lightning fast to turn green, and it displays your name to the cast member in case they choose to speak to your personally.

No idea how worthwhile this will be in the big picture or how complex it will get when the whole resort has them, but if they can get it right, they will be a nice convenience. Oh, and the bands are quite sporty and über comfortable.
Out of curiosity, are you a CM? On previous tests, I haven't heard of anyone being "invited for a hotel stay." The tests were just being offered to those in the hotel at that time.

Also, I'm confused. What do you mean that all the FPs were grouped close together so there was no need to wait? Is that how you deliberately scheduled them? If so, then what was it like with the rest of your day? Were you allowed to use regular FP as well?

Could you please define the "small hassles" that you felt were eliminated?

The fact that you thought the bands looked "sporty" makes me lol. Sorry. They are plastic wristbands. I don't think sporty is even in the same realm of their discription. Whether they are comfortable or not seems to be quite mixed in reviews.

Can anyone else confirm this test?

pjammer

Out of curiosity, are you a CM? On previous tests, I haven't heard of anyone being "invited for a hotel stay." The tests were just being offered to those in the hotel at that time.

The fact that you thought the bands looked "sporty" makes me lol. Sorry. They are plastic wristbands. I don't think sporty is even in the same realm for their discription.

Yes managers and frontline CMs are currently testing MagicBands. It more of like practice for resort CMs. They get a free hotel stay and tickets for up to the amount of people on their main entrance pass.

@DisneyBryan

Original Poster
ALSO, you will notice on the Fastpass+ pages and FAQs it states that 4 Fastpass+ attractions can be booked per day in one park, up from the originally stated 3 attractions.

mnrlblue

Evidently the recent test of the system was not satisfactory with guests from select resorts. So another test will start July 22 evidently restricted to Bay Lake Tower guests. Talk about a control group. Most all DVC folks I am sure. Wonder if they will all buy a lot of plastic souvenirs to justify a glowing after test report again.
I received this from a cast member. It was posted on the company employee only web page.

"As part of the test and adjust process for MyMagic+, a test involving Disney Vacation Club Members and renters staying onsite at Bay Lake Tower at Disney’s Contemporary Resort will begin July 22. Selected Guests will be contacted and invited to participate in the test beginning July 12.
Test participants will be able to touch to enter their rooms, touch to enter the park and touch to pay at eligible locations starting upon check-in and continuing through their departure. They also will make and redeem FastPass+ selections at all four theme parks during their stay."

This is not true...

LongtimeReader

Also, I'm confused. What do you mean that all the FPs were grouped close together so there was no need to wait? Is that how you deliberately scheduled them? If so, then what was it like with the rest of your day? Were you allowed to use regular FP as well?

Could you please define the "small hassles" that you felt were eliminated?

The fact that you thought the bands looked "sporty" makes me lol. Sorry. They are plastic wristbands. I don't think sporty is even in the same realm of their discription. Whether they are comfortable or not seems to be quite mixed in reviews.

Yes, was part of a CM group.

To each his own on the look of them. We all liked them a lot better than any other ID wristband we'd experienced at spas or resorts around the world, and certainly enjoyed it better than having a gift card on a slinky like is common at F&W or the cards on rubber bands at TT.

The hassle of going to an attraction for the FP is gone. We noticed tons of people clogging entrances trying to find their FP before they could go through the FP queue, that would be In the past. If you realize that you're across the park and want to move your return time to later, you can (subject to its availability). I never had to remove my wallet once to get my ticket/room key/credit card, and the transactions (FP or purchase) are almost instantaneous. No swiping, signing, et cetera. We went to the pool, no need to bring our room keys, we just swam in the bands. If we wanted a drink or some snacks while there, we didnt need to bring our wallets to the pool with us at all. No worries about forgetting your key when you run out to the lobby...those kind of things. Small things were noticed to be more convenient by all of us.

We did schedule the FP+ close together. You can schedule them however you want, however. We liked being able to do our must-do's back to back instead of running around at the mercy of the current return time of the FP at the FP distribution machines. Also no need to pay attention to when your next new FP is available. We could use regular FP also, though we didn't.

Hope that helps. Again, it isn't a very earth shattering WOW addition by any stretch, but when you consider that most folks won't know or care how much it cost to implement, it should make for a mostly positive addition... IF they can make the thing reliable. I'm not saying this to ignite the tired argument over whether it was worth the money or not, I'm just here to say that our experience using them was a positive one.

bubbles1812

Yes, was part of a CM group.

To each his own on the look of them. We all liked them a lot better than any other ID wristband we'd experienced at spas or resorts around the world, and certainly enjoyed it better than having a gift card on a slinky like is common at F&W or the cards on rubber bands at TT.

The hassle of going to an attraction for the FP is gone. If you realize that you're across the park and want to move your return time to later, you can (subject to its availability). I never had to remove my wallet once to get my ticket/room key/credit card, and the transactions (FP or purchase) are almost instantaneous. No swiping, signing, etc.

We did schedule them close together. You can schedule them however you want, however, but we liked being able to do so instead of running around at the mercy of the current return time of the FP at the FP distribution machines. No need to wonder when your next FP is available. We could use regular FP also, though we didn't.

Hope that helps. Again, it isn't a very earth shattering WOW addition by any stretch, but when you consider that most folks won't know or care how much it cost to implement, it should make for a mostly positive addition... IF they can make the thing reliable. I'm not saying this to ignite the tired argument over whether it was worth the money or not, I'm just here to say that our experience using them was a positive one.
Thank you for your replies. I will add one more question... I think you chose Epcot as your park to be at since you referenced Test Track. One of the main criticisms of FP+ is that 3 (or 4) FPs may be enough for DAK, DHS, and Epcot but is a poor number for the MK. For the most part I agree with this. I don't usually need 3 or 4 FPs for those parks, but I usually get 6+ at the MK, and often, it's needed as I'm not one of the crazy people willing to wait hours for less than 2 minute rides. What are your thoughts? Had you chosen MK, do you think 4 FP would have been enough? Do you know CMs who did choose the MK? What was their experience?

And I guess I'm going to add one more. I'm glad and intrigued that your overall experience was positive, but what would you change? It's by no means a perfect system. I for one wish we could select attractions more than once.

LongtimeReader

Thank you for your replies. I will add one more question... I think you chose Epcot as your park to be at since you referenced Test Track. One of the main criticisms of FP+ is that 3 (or 4) FPs may be enough for DAK, DHS, and Epcot but is a poor number for the MK. For the most part I agree with this. I don't usually need 3 or 4 FPs for those parks, but I usually get 6+ at the MK, and often, it's needed as I'm not one of the crazy people willing to wait hours for less than 2 minute rides. What are your thoughts? Had you chosen MK, do you think 4 FP would have been enough? Do you know CMs who did choose the MK? What was their experience?

And I guess I'm going to add one more. I'm glad and intrigued that your overall experience was positive, but what would you change? It's by no means a perfect system. I for one wish we could select attractions more than once.

Sadly I don't know anyone that has done the MK, but frankly when it comes to that aspect of the satisfaction ratings, CMs aren't going to be the ones to ask, as we clearly don't need to see everything in a day like many visitors do. That will have to come from the actual guest tests. However, I think that for people very good at the system, this will be an issue for them at the MK. For a large majority toting around children and more unaware of the nuts and bolts, it may not have a huge impact to them. But it wouldn't surprise me to see them up the number by 1 or 2 in the MK, assuming it's even possible capacity wise. The negatives were nonexistent for us, though should the app glitch in the OPPOSITE way that it did for us, it would have required us to schlep to one of the kiosks to try and sort it out, which would be a hassle. Their main issue is going to be getting that app to handle the massive access to it without crashing or making mistakes on people's itineraries. We had no problems other than getting TOO MANY fastpasses, but there are surely very few accessing it at the moment...

None of us had even thought of wanting to use two selections on one attraction... But you can't, and that would indeed be a minus.

bubbles1812

Sadly I don't know anyone that has done the MK, but frankly when it comes to that aspect of the satisfaction ratings, CMs aren't going to be the ones to ask, as we clearly don't need to see everything in a day like many visitors do. That will have to come from the actual guest tests. However, I think that for people very good at the system, this will be an issue for them at the MK. For a large majority toting around children and more unaware of the nuts and bolts, it may not have a huge impact to them. But it wouldn't surprise me to see them up the number by 1 or 2 in the MK, assuming it's even possible capacity wise. The negatives were nonexistent for us, though should the app glitch in the OPPOSITE way that it did for us, it would have required us to schlep to one of the kiosks to try and sort it out, which would be a hassle. Their main issue is going to be getting that app to handle the massive access to it without crashing or making mistakes on people's itineraries. We had no problems other than getting TOO MANY fastpasses, but there are surely very few accessing it at the moment...

None of us had even thought of wanting to use two selections on one attraction... But you can't, and that would indeed be a minus.
And not only the problem of everyone accessing the app at once causing crashes... But the fact that Disney's wifi service as a whole is very poor. Having tens of thousands of people trying to access their system to make multiple changes every minute... Not sure how Disney is going to solve that problem. What they have now certainly isn't enough. And yeah, if the website is any indication of function, itineraries are probably going to be messed up.

And then there is the further question of how they will address if a ride is down. I can't imagine guest satisfaction is going to go up if they just tell heard to screw off and pick a new attraction.

If people were allowed to choose 1 or 2 more for a day at the MK, I would have less of any issue with the thing as a whole. (I am one of those very experience in working the system ;))

wdw_nerd

for those who have done the magic band test....how do they work for dining plan credits or charging to the room? Do CM's have handheld scanners for these things?

CaptainShortty

The next round of guest tests with the magic bands are being done in the earlier part of August. They are currently doing many CM test stays across the different resorts in preparation for the guest tests.

the vanguard

The next round of guest tests with the magic bands are being done in the earlier part of August. They are currently doing many CM test stays across the different resorts in preparation for the guest tests.

Hello all, Im new here. Our trip in Aug 10-17th and we are staying at Pop Century. My wife went out our My Disney experience on the Disney website, and we had the option to get the magic bands for our stay. If this gives yall any indication of when they are possibly selecting guest. We were given the option to select the colors and also fastpasses for each park we are going to for each day. It pre selected the parks by where our dinning reservations were at for that day. Hope this helps out in some way.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom