Refrigerators being temporarily removed from all rooms

nepalostparks

Original Poster
Just got a message from Disney:

Due to a possible defect in the refrigerators in some of the Guest rooms at the Walt Disney World® and Disneyland® Resorts, as well as Aulani, A Disney Resort & Spa, Resort hotels at these locations have removed or temporarily disconnected Guest room refrigerators until the issue can be resolved.

Guests staying at these Resort hotels will be notified of the refrigerator removal via a letter in their room. Currently the schedule for replacing the refrigerators at these Resorts is expected to last several months.

Just a heads up for anyone about to travel.

EDITED TO ADD:

The following units are NOT affected according to Disney:

- All DVC units, including Studio, 1, 2 and 3 BR units
- Art of Animation Family Suites
- All Star Music Family Suites
- Cabins at Fort Wilderness

All other mini-fridges across all resorts are affected, including those at Deluxe, Moderate and Value level resorts (this includes standard rooms at Art of Animation).

Disney has said they expect this to take at least four months to resolve because of the number of units needing to be replaced. Available replacement units will be given on priority basis to those who have a medical need, if available (not guaranteed).

nepalostparks

Original Poster
There's going to be some pretty upset guests!

Of course. It sounds to me like there's a safety issue, and that has to trump everything else. Heck, it's even part of Disney's mantra.

My guess is that as they start receiving replacements, they'll be available first to medical needs, then to guests who complain, then to all rooms as they get enough.

Zman-ks

There's going to be some pretty upset guests!
75.gif

Exactly...a fridge is pretty critical for us.

I_heart_Tigger

I intend, before I allow them to charge my card for the room, to ask:

1. Real water view, and not make believe (pool, etc), and
2. Working refrigerator in the room.

This is a deal breaker...
To be safe I would just cancel your trip now. Hopefully you are within the cancellation period and don't have to pay. The refrigerators will be extremely limited and if its a deal breaker for your Disney vacation you should stay home.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I intend, before I allow them to charge my card for the room, to ask:

1. Real water view, and not make believe (pool, etc), and
2. Working refrigerator in the room.

This is a deal breaker...

It will depend on where you are staying. If there are not separate water view and pool view room categories they have no way to guarantee you one or the other. You also of course have to book that specific category if it is available.

DisneyJoe

FYI - DVC resorts and Ft Wilderness Cabins will not be swapped out, as they are not mini-fridges. I am not sure about the DVC studios however.

It could take up to 4 months for the swap.

A limited number of fridges will be available to be requested (not guaranteed).

nepalostparks

Original Poster
We have two resort stays, October and December, and received no such message! Did you get an email or was this posted somewhere?

It was sent out this morning via email to travel agents.

Since your reservations are still several months out, they may be waiting to see how quickly they will be able to replace them before communicating directly.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
This should save TDO a lot of $$$ in electricity bills in the next 4 months.

I am sure they would rather pay the power bills then deal with the guests who will demand free premium APs for life, a 7 day DCL cruise in the Roy Disney suite and a 1000 point DVC contract because the lack of a mini-fridge ruined their once in a lifetime trip.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
I am sure they would rather pay the power bills then deal with the guests who will demand free premium APs for life, a 7 day DCL cruise in the Roy Disney suite and a 1000 point DVC contract because the lack of a mini-fridge ruined their once in a lifetime trip.
Damn i planned my trip at the wrong time :mad:

Slowjack

Probably not related, but on our last trip our fridge never really got cold enough for my tastes, even after I dialed it down all the way. This was at WL. I'm surprised the things can work at all though, seeing as they are in cramped cabinets with no ventilation that I can see.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom