How many people you think move to FL to be near disney?

steviej

Original Poster
Topic. I know I'd never get sick of it.

I did 2 cp's there, and I miss it everyday. In a total year of living in Orlando, if more than a week went by of me not going to the parks, that may have happened 3 times max.

I live in NJ, and am trying so hard to convince my fiancée to give it a shot.

But nothing is working (yet ;)). She has her parents here and her 3 nieces. I'm trying really hard with the no more snow front lol

I want to move to FL more for the weather rather than Disney, but it's not by much.

dannyboyindc

Topic. I know I'd never get sick of it.

I did 2 cp's there, and I miss it everyday. In a total year of living in Orlando, if more than a week went by of me not going to the parks, that may have happened 3 times max.

I live in NJ, and am trying so hard to convince my fiancée to give it a shot.

But nothing is working (yet ;)). She has her parents here and her 3 nieces. I'm trying really hard with the no more snow front lol

I want to move to FL more for the weather rather than Disney, but it's not by much.

From what I understand, living in Orlando can be fabulous, but the job market is tough. Don't move down there without a job :)

steviej

Original Poster
I've also heard Orlando has a lot of crime (like any other major city I suppose). I wouldn't know though cause I'm usually just in the Disney bubble. :)

I lived in a real touristy part of Orlando, so I'm sure there's more that I don't know. But the only not so friendly part of Orlando that I've seen is downtown Orlando, and I'd never live there.

I'd wanna live in either Celebration or Windemere

steviej

Original Poster
What kind of awful weather does NJ have? (Just curious.)

Our winters are awful, snow in april and October. If we get 2 nice months a year during summer, it's a good year.

And lately it's been raining like crazy!

About 3 weeks ago, no joke, it rained for about 10 days straight. It was miserable!

And hurricanes have been kicking up here too. In 2011 we had Irene, 2012 obviously we had Sandy.

DfromATX

Our winters are awful, snow in april and October. If we get 2 nice months a year during summer, it's a good year.

And lately it's been raining like crazy!

About 3 weeks ago, no joke, it rained for about 10 days straight. It was miserable!

And hurricanes have been kicking up here too. In 2011 we had Irene, 2012 obviously we had Sandy.

Oh yeah, snow. Not something I see very often. LOL But I have heard NJ is nice & green. Do you know Snooki? Ha ha... totally kidding.

mickeysbrother

rent is very affordable in the celebration area. Even for a big 4 1/2 was going for roughly 800 per month. Compared to montreal quebec amazing price with the benefits off all year round warm weather. Witch is a plus for us notherners.

What field would you want to work at in Orlando?

I wanted to get a manager job for disney. Live my life in my little 4 1/2 until i retire. enjoy the weather and beach and sun and disney on my off days. Sounds like a good life to me. Better then stressing out at work here yelling and screaming in freezing cold weather.

steviej

Original Poster
Oh yeah, snow. Not something I see very often. LOL But I have heard NJ is nice & green. Do you know Snooki? Ha ha... totally kidding.

lol I don't, but my roommate has a friend that's very good friends with her LOL

Parts of NJ are nice and green, but you have to go west to find it towards PA

I only live 10 minutes from NYC to give you an idea. I could see all of manhattan from my apartment.

That's another reason I hate NJ. Everyone here is nasty cause everyone is stressed out from working in the city.

The jersey shore is beautiful during the summer though

steviej

Original Poster
rent is very affordable in the celebration area. Even for a big 4 1/2 was going for roughly 800 per month. Compared to montreal quebec amazing price with the benefits off all year round warm weather. Witch is a plus for us notherners.

What field would you want to work at in Orlando?

I wanted to get a manager job for disney. Live my life in my little 4 1/2 until i retire. enjoy the weather and beach and sun and disney on my off days. Sounds like a good life to me. Better then stressing out at work here yelling and screaming if freezing cold weather.

Agreed! I'd ideally like to work in management at WDW.

The thing is, my fiancée is in grad school for social work, so where are you gonna find more people that need mental help than New York City more or less? LOL

71jason

I've actually known quite a few people who moved down here to be near Disney. Within a year most move back or find themselves working at a typical job for 40 - 50 hours a week and make it out to the parks once a month at most. And that's here in the touristy side of town. Once you go east of Millenia, a love of theme parks is basically looked down upon (unless you're going to Food & Wine).

As to complaints about Orlando. Crime is no worse than any other small city, maybe even a little better. There are bad neighborhoods, but everyone knows to stay away from them.

Housing can be cheap the further out you go, but that's only because wages are so low here (even factoring in the lack of a state income tax). Everyone on the tourist side of town has roommates--even people in their 40s and married couples.

Weather-wise, Summers are brutal--but there's no snow in the Winter, and Spring and late Fall are pretty amazing. The crowds/traffic around Christmas and Spring Break are even worse than the weather, tho.

On the plus side, you can never be bored--there is always something to do in this town. It's a remarkably friendly city, too; there are no real "townies" so it's easy to make friends. And if you have a national job that pays the same no matter where you live--like me--the cheap housing and lack of state income tax is a definite advantage.

cheezbat

I grew up in icy cold Wisconsin and when I turned 18 made the move to central Florida for 'college'....and of course the theme parks. Ever since I moved I've had passes to various parks. I flip flop every year between Sea World and Busch Gardens and renew my Universal pass yearly.

Disney is a once a year visit for me now...much of the magic is lost going often, especially with the serious lack of additions the past 7 years...

But still, Disney was a big push in my moving to central Florida.

71jason

Agreed! I'd ideally like to work in management at WDW.

No, you wouldn't. You'll work up to 80 hours a week, often at all hours of the day or night. You'll never have a holiday off again until you retire. And after a decade, you'll still be lucky to pull in more than $40k. Bartenders and servers routinely make more--often much more--than their managers at WDW. If you move to Orlando and want a management position, look outside WDW.

mickeysbrother

What is a "4 1/2"? Never heard that term down here (and belated Happy Canada Day!).

Thank you for the wishes and happy 4th of july coming up!!!

4 1/2 would be considered as 2 bedrooms, 1 living room and 1 kitchen . Witch gives you the number 4
and the 1/2 would be the bathroom

So a 5 1/2 would be 3 bedrooms and so on.....

dannyboyindc

Thank you for the wishes and happy 4th of july coming up!!!

4 1/2 would be considered as 2 bedrooms, 1 living room and 1 kitchen . Witch gives you the number 4
and the 1/2 would be the bathroom

So a 5 1/2 would be 3 bedrooms and so on.....

Normally I don't point out grammatical errors, but that's twice now spelling the word which, as "witch."

I just think that's hilarious :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom