What should NOT have been replaced?

Bob Haller

I REALLY miss superstar television, the soundshow was nice but superstar was SUPER!

I think the bean counters have taken over:( Hey if its not cheap to operate shut it down... the beancouter motto.

sorry to hear buses have made it to MK, somehow it spoils the magic.

I am, planning a trip for january, and hoping it works out.

Figments Friend

They should seriously punish all who were responsible for destroying the original Journey Into Imagination...that ride was a absolute MASTERPIECE of execution, presentation, and concept. I've read it's Kodak's fault as they stated in a contract with Disney that JII was to be changed by the year 2000. My question....WHY?? Why change it if it's such a beloved attraction??

Yeah, i know.....the old excuse.....$$$$$$$$

Another attraction that should have never have been gutted is World of Motion. These two attractions were fantastic and were true Disney technical marvels and it still has me steamed that the Disney organization was so careless and shortsighted in deciding to discard them in the name of seeking "thrill rides" to compete with Universal or to "update" them for "improvements" that turn out to be far from the case.

World of Motion: I LOVED this ride!!! It was so much FUN!!! And the futuristic city at the rides conclusion was AWESOME in all it's black light glory. And the music that played....great stuff!! Rememeber when your vehicle would pass a mirror just before you exited and when you looked at yourself, it looked as if you were in a futuristic vehicle?? That was GREAT!!! I'm a AA freak, so i was in Animatronic heaven in WoM. Largest AA gathering anywhere on earth it was said...wow, i beleived it. Test Track is a lame follow up...it's just a stupid thrill ride, and not that thrilling really either. As pointed out in another post, TT has nothing to do with covering the theme of transportation....it's just a big advert for GM. Pretty sad really when you consider the glorious attraction that USED to be housed there.

Lynx04

I personal don't have any problem with any attraction being replaced. If replacing an attraction leads to a better experience, both in technology and excitment. When I say excitment I don't thrills, there are attractions out there that are exciting and that don't have loops. Also, if the removal of the attraction is necessary to add the attraction. I am for a gutting of Space Moutain for a new track, replacement of WOL, I would support the demolishing of POTC if updating it to something on par with Disneylands version. Sorry I had to put that in there, WDW POTC is my number one biggest let down attraction that is in DL. Even if they wanted to replace the Castle in MK with a new castle.

Although saying all of that, I would personally miss some attractions. I just don't see replacing an attraction being equal to actually doing with out an attraction. Horizons was my favorite attraction in EPCOT, I watch the DVD from Extinct Attraction Club frequently, but removing it brought us MS. Now I know a lot of fans would rather have Horizons over MS. As cool as MS is I liked Horizons a lot more then MS. I just think that replacements like Mission Space push the theme park envolope further and after all that is what Horizons was about. "If we can dream it, then we can do it. Yes we can, yes we can." That song is always in my head. If we kept all these attractions we would not exploit new ideas or technologies for peoples enjoyment. Like in the normal life cycle everthing has a beginning and an end, and that holds true with park rides too. Just like how MS and TT are new today, a day will come when they too will come to the same fate as WOM and Horizons. At that time there will be fans of those attractions crushed because of the closers like we are with Horizons and WOM and so on. Even though Disney has loads of land over all, their parks still have bounderies, and only so much can fit in each park.

Rydel

mrtoad said:
Do you know what happened to the stuff from Mr. Toad? I would love to get one of the cars to use for seating in my family room. That would be cool!
The cars were auctioned off on eBay a while ago.

Lynx04

Figments Friend said:
Another attraction that should have never have been gutted is World of Motion. These two attractions were fantastic and were true Disney technical marvels and it still has me steamed that the Disney organization was so careless and shortsighted in deciding to discard them in the name of seeking "thrill rides" to compete with Universal or to "update" them for "improvements" that turn out to be far from the case.

World of Motion: I LOVED this ride!!! It was so much FUN!!! And the futuristic city at the rides conclusion was AWESOME in all it's black light glory. And the music that played....great stuff!! Rememeber when your vehicle would pass a mirror just before you exited and when you looked at yourself, it looked as if you were in a futuristic vehicle?? That was GREAT!!! I'm a AA freak, so i was in Animatronic heaven in WoM. Largest AA gathering anywhere on earth it was said...wow, i beleived it. Test Track is a lame follow up...it's just a stupid thrill ride, and not that thrilling really either. As pointed out in another post, TT has nothing to do with covering the theme of transportation....it's just a big advert for GM. Pretty sad really when you consider the glorious attraction that USED to be housed there.
I disagree, I think that TT is more of a Technical Marvel then World of Motion. World of Motion already had elements that was used in other attractions; Omnimover/People Mover type system (same thing in JIYI, HH, ATIS or SSE), AAs (as seen in many of Disney attractions), speed tunnel (Disneyland's People Mover). Everything in that attraction could have been experienced on another attraction that Disney had to offer except theme, there was nothing cutting edge about WOM. TT was a complete new ride developement, not seen anywhere else. Yes WOM was a cool ride and I enjoyed it very much, but to call TT a "lame follow up" is being extremely bias. You are entitled to your opinion but it seems that you are putting your personal feeling in front of facts. To sit there and call it lame because it is not a slow moving attraction that doesn't show you the history from the wheel to flying cars seems to be a little extreme.

In fact, I believe GM the sponsers of the pavilion came up with the idea for TT, not Disney. When it was time for GM to renew its contract they wanted to do something new and exciting, they felt the technology had advance far enough since the 80s to try do something ambitious. A fast moving ride that shows what a car goes through before hitting the road for consumers. If you really think that TT is a less technical marvel then WOM, then that is your opinion, I just don't understand how you come to that conclusion.

Sketch105

While I partially agree with most of you that certain attractions needed replacing, I think it can be disputed.

Mr. Toad always had a long line, and it became a natural line in movies and television whenever Disney was mentioned...

The attraction didn't have classic written all over it, but thats one of the things that made it great. It was an old school dark ride.

I think Journey into Imagination was one of the best ORIGINAL dark rides Disney has produced. It wasn't based off a movie, or a book or a tv show. It was simply popular because it was its own creation.

And there was never a line because it had the Peoplemover technology....something some people forget!..

Dr.Seeker

What do I miss...?
Journey into Imagination. Okay I went on it once and i was like 7, but i faintly remember it being much more silly fun than todays version.

Seacabs, I had a hard time convincing people it DID exist at some point.

Monster Sound Effect thang, I loved Chevy chase on top form, a little more than Drew Carey who is just as funny but I hate the dark.

All others I wasn't born to see e.t.c. so I dunno...

GoofyMagic

I say Kitchen Kabaret was great...From what I remember of it, that was when I was pretty young. Also, Food Rocks was a decent update to it because at least it was animatronics...Now they took it down to make way for some gaudy monstrosity (what movie?) Sounds interesting but couldn't they have found another place for it?

crazycalf

doug live. It may not have been the best show but at least it was a show. Right now it's just an empty theater for 3 or 4 years.
At least put something there

Disneyland1970

WOW! Grizz started this thread in 2003! It has lasted longer than some of the NEW rides at WDW. I agree with many of the posts on here, but again there is nothing wrong with replacement or upadate, as long as it is done with heart and creativity! That is the key element that I feel has been missing from most Disney additions lately! The dollar is what is king, not magic or family experience!

Testtrack321

Alien Encounter, the ride never sutied me, and thus I never rode it, but the tounge-in-cheek story that fit in with the rest of Tomorrowland was the tape that held it all together.

dxwwf3

Testtrack321 said:
Alien Encounter, the ride never sutied me, and thus I never rode it, but the tounge-in-cheek story that fit in with the rest of Tomorrowland was the tape that held it all together.

:sohappy:

I hate that you never got the chance to see it ***Cheap Plug Alert*** I would suggest you check out my tribute video over at #disney-central and also Martin's tribute video to help get a better view of the attractions ***End of Cheap Plug for my tribute video*** :animwink:

What did "EPCOT" originally stand for? Experimental Prototype Community Of Tomorrow (ie Utopia)... What was the original design of Future World... Futuristic pavillions designed to immerse you in a general theme of technologies:
SE : History and Future of various modes of communication.
UoE: Origin of fossil fuels and other advancements in energy sciences
WoM: History and Future of various modes of transportation.
JII: The Original Dark Ride... With the 2 Original Epcot Characters (Figment &Dreamfinder)... Illustrating in a fun way how imagination is key to innovations.
The Land: Environmental and basic nutrition issues
The Living Seas: The origins of how life came to be on earth, through oceans. And how our future demands that we explore this world as much as space... All in a sea base setting.
The Communicore: Various applications of todays technologies displayed for our enjoyment.

And last, but not least, Horizons, the embodiement of "EPCOT" and the ride that united all of these concept in a totally immersive ride.

Although, I agree that TT isn't lame, is a thrilling ride and is less dated than WOM, and most of the rides I mentioned... The question people should really ask themselves... How does it fit in "EPCOT"?

From my point of view, I don't see the history nor the future of transportation in the crash test dummy's seat.
Does Mission Space encompass all that Horizons represented? No it doesn't.

These are good thrill rides in a futuristic setting and nothing more... They're not made to make us think or dream, in the extent of their past counterparts, of a utopic society. The proof is this simple fact... You could put them in the Magic Kingdom's Tomorrowland and they would fit right in there.

Nemo's living seas... Is now just an Aquarium themed with Nemo and friends. A good idea that could fit in Animal Kingdom.

Soarin'... Which I love, could fit anywhere.

So... "What should NOT have been replaced"... At Epcot, that's easy, the answer is "EPCOT"... Be it because of sponsorship, or other economic factors... The bottom line is Disney should have decided long ago that the basic idea of every one of these pavillions should have been upheld, revamped and maintained in limited partnership with their sponsors.

Basically, they should have accepted to lose a few $ to maintain this park's unique identity.

P.S: I just noticed that the last entry was in 2005... Better late than never! :)

Fairybuzz

Imagination!!!!!!!!!! - that one is obvious

Horizons - It embodied the spirit of epcot. I really don't like mission space that much because Its not really an expirience its a simulation of a simulation, your pretending that your going on a fake training mission wheres the fun in that? The same bugs me about studio parks but thats a different story

Mr. Toad- If they were going to get rid of Snow white and make it a meet and greet why couldnt they just put pooh there? (I know there was a time difference but still it seems kinda wrong)

Alien Encounter- I know a lot of people who loved this ride including my gf. Stitch just kinda annoys me.

I would say Wonders of life but its not been replaced :p just left to rot and treated almost mockingly like a festival tent.

The Rio Del Tiempo ride shouldnt have been updated, I think its really just a seas with nemo like pointless retooling that was obviously done because it was going to be cheap to do and really didn't enhance it at all.

I hate the fact that they covered the queue in space mountain so you can't see the ride zipping around anymore. I thought it looked beautiful and made me feel like i was on another planet.

Food rocks appearantly is just walled off not replaced So I really don't have any idea what their doing with it.

The fountain needs to come back to the land, It was really pretty!

steviej

I'm just posting without reading any other posts, so I apologize if stuff has been said before.

AE was awesome, Sge was... we've been there before.

I love Winnie the pooh ride, but Mr. Toad's was so classic, surely they could've put Winnie somewhere else. And Snow White getting taken out was not cool with me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom