Epcot & DHS rumors from Screamscape

GrumpyFan

Original Poster
Screamscape posted a couple of rumors this morning for Epcot & Disney Hollywood Studios.

First, Epcot and a rumor/speculation on Soarin' -

2016 - Soarin’ Over The Horizon - Rumor - (5/20/13) Disney & More reports that the top secret new version of Soarin’ opening at Shanghai Disneyland in 2015 is expected to be called Soarin’ Over The Horizon, essentially a Global version of the Soarin’ concept featuring famous icons and landcapes from around the world. This same new ride will also come as an update to the existing Soarin’ rides at Epcot in Walt Disney World and to Disney’s California Adventure at the Disneyland Resort in 2016.
That said… there may be a slight twist to this entire plan as new details about the upcoming PLANES animated film are slowing comingout. The film, once planned as a direct to DVD spin-off from Pixar’s Cars films was upgraded to a full theatrical feature film release last year. (It is also interesting to note that PLANES is from Walt Disney Animation and not Pixar.) The story behind PLANES involves air races at famous locations all around the world… a storyline that might tie in nicely with this new Soarin’ ride concept as well.

Next, DHS & Cars Land -

2018 - Cars Land - Rumor - (5/20/13) The date seems so very far away... but according to a new rumor sent in, 2018 may be the date that a Walt Disney World version of Cars Land could open, with an expected construction timetable of about 24 months expected. Ever since Cars Land was announced for Disney’s California Adventure, people have talked about the possibility of bringing it to the Studios at WDW, and from the sound of things, Disney was listening enough to see if it would actually work as a replacement for the aged remains of the Backlot Studio Tour site.
BUT... and you knew there was going to be one of these... from what I’m hearing, if Cars Land is approved for Walt Disney World, this will not be a carbon copy of the one built in California. You’ll still get to wander the streets of Radiator Springs, eat in Flo’s V-8 Cafe and even try out Mater’s Junkyard Jamboree... BUT...
There will be no Radiator Springs Racers.
I’ll let that concept sink in for a second. The iconic ride that all of Cars Land was built around will not be cloned in Florida and as disappointing as this seems on the surface, this could be a very good thing as the concept has two strikes against it from the start.
After all... Walt Disney World has already had the same Radiator Springs Racers ride system running since the late ‘90s as Test Track at Epcot. (Strike 1!)
Disney has also just finished pumping several million into that same Test Track attraction at Epcot to reinvent it as an all new version of Test Track less than a year ago. (Strike 2!)
So as much as most Walt Disney World fans want to experience the Radiator Springs Racers, there is too much of a fear that the end result will simply me a “Meh!” from guests as they cross the finish line, as Test Track is not only the same ride system... but one that also goes much faster through it’s high speed finale.
So what to do? Well, if the rumored project gets the green light and gets built, apparently we can expect to see an all new Cars themed dark ride experience built just for Walt Disney World instead. Given the location, I do have to wonder if they might try to include some of the old Catastrophe Canyon set as part of this new attraction as well. Oh, and you may have noticed that I left Luigi’s Flying Tires off the list as well. As many can attest, the attraction has not lived up to expectations and we should also expect to see another flat ride or two themed to the Cars universe built instead. One possibility is said to be a ride based on the WDI pattent for a “Twister Ride System” discovered earlier this month. (Click here) A version of this concept in Cars Land, but themed to the new “Planes” film characters (Coming in August 2013) may fit the bill nicely.
A lot can happen between now and 2018... but there are enough rumors going around now claiming that the Studios may have been targeted for a major 5-year overhaul masterplan, much like California Adventure was, and this does fit within the timeframe as a nice finale for the project... much like it was for DCA. Stay tuned...

I know, it's Screamscape, and they don't have a track record of reliable information, but as stated, they're just rumors (a currently circulating story or report of uncertain or doubtful truth), so take it for what it's worth and discuss the possibilities here, not the credibility, please.

Edit 5/22/13 - Updated info here.

luv

Soarin could use a new film! It would be cooler if you never knew which film you'd get, though. Mix it up! Keep it fresh and interesting!

Not a Cars fan...but also not a DHS fan, so don't care much what they put in there...and kind of like that it won't be something that makes me want to go there! It would fit the park. The Californians seem happy with it, but they got a good ride, too. It sounds very TDO to build a land and skip the cool ride, lol. But a dark ride (especially if they include Catastropy Canyon!) could be great. :)

Zman-ks

Soarin could use a new film! It would be cooler if you never knew which film you'd get, though. Mix it up! Keep it fresh and interesting!

Not a Cars fan...but also not a DHS fan, so don't care
75.gif
much what they put in there...and kind of like that it won't be something that makes me want to go there! It would fit the park. The Californians seem happy with it, but they got a ride, too. It sounds very TDO to build a land and skip the cool ride, lol. But a dark ride (especially if they include Catastropy Canyon!) could be great. :)

Totally agree! :)

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I still want a more varied Pixar Place, but I won't complain if they go all out and the Cars addition is well done.....The Soarin' rumor is good. I'll give Screamscape credit. They leave rumors up for a long time, so you can ogle them and go, "Oh yeah....I forgot there was talk about JttCotE coming to DAK", and whatnot.

Fox&Hound

I would be sooooo angry if they built a Carsland area and dropped RSR. It's like another poster said- comparing test track and RSR as the same ride is like saying there is no need for Pirates of the Carribbean because it is essentially the same ride as "It's a Small World"......ughhhh. While Flo's and Mater's Junk Yard Jamboree would be nice additions, they would have to have a pretty awesome alternative ride to make me forget about RSR's. It really is a great ride and the canyon spectacle is a sight to see.

I think the general public would shrug too. "You're building Carsland but not RSR's??? Meh..."

Beholder

Soarin has needed a new film for awhile and I'd be excited for that, but I somewhat mixed feelings on the DHS "plans". I fully understand that these are rumors and by 2018 may be completely different, but theses things need to be done, so who knows? I was never crazy about a 100% clone of Cars Land, so a little variation could be good. Not so much Pixar maybe, unless Monster Inc, or Incredibles. I'll enjoy the next few years, that's for sure.

GrumpyFan

Original Poster
I saw another rumor here or elsewhere that one of the ideas being thrown around for Carsland involved a theme closer to the Cars2 movie than the original, which might fit better with a dark ride anyway. If true, and IF done right, I'm glad to hear that they're shying away from a direct clone of what they did at DCA. Hopefully, they will have something suitable for DHS that will be as impressive as RSR, or at least as thrilling.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I would be sooooo angry if they built a Carsland area and dropped RSR. It's like another poster said- comparing test track and RSR as the same ride is like saying there is no need for Pirates of the Carribbean because it is essentially the same ride as "It's a Small World"......ughhhh. While Flo's and Mater's Junk Yard Jamboree would be nice additions, they would have to have a pretty awesome alternative ride to make me forget about RSR's. It really is a great ride and the canyon spectacle is a sight to see.

I think the general public would shrug too. "You're building Carsland but not RSR's??? Meh..."

That would all depend on what the replacement was. Yes RSR is a great ride, no question about that. BUT, plenty of people here have expressed dissatisfaction that it would be another clone. What if Disney were actually considering bringing something all new (and great) to the land? Could be a good move. Having said that, all indications are that RSRs is on the cards.

Fox&Hound

That would all depend on what the replacement was. Yes RSR is a great ride, no question about that. BUT, plenty of people here have expressed dissatisfaction that it would be another clone. What if Disney were actually considering bringing something all new (and great) to the land? Could be a good move. Having said that, all indications are that RSRs is on the cards.

Well-said....I guess we'd have to wait and see what ride would be built (if there is any truth to this rumor at all). RSR is quite impressive, and if we got something new that was unique to WDW and allowed DisneyLand to keep a unique Carsland complete with RSR, then I guess it could be a win for both coasts.....I would just be afraid that WDW would get Flo's, Maters, and a small kiddie ride and that would be it.

I'll reserve judgement until we know more. =)

My thoughts:

• I sincerely hope the mini-Carsland comes as part of a multi-year Pixar Place expansion. Cars makes the WDC salivate because of its billion-dollar merch sales, but it is still one of the weaker Pixar films. Just give us the Monsters Inc coaster too and I'll be satisfied.
  • I'm open-minded to a DHS Carsland sans RSR as long as there is still a solid E-ticket.
  • I had always assumed Catastrophe Canyon would be worked into a future attraction, it can fit in perfectly with a Cars E-tick.
  • As for Soarin' Over the World, all I can say is FINALLY.
  • As for a possible Planes re-theme, I certainly hope not and would think it'd also be unlikely unless the film beats expectations and becomes a box-office smash. I remain skeptical.

PhotoDave219

Not a Cars fan...but also not a DHS fan, so don't care much what they put in there...and kind of like that it won't be something that makes me want to go there! It would fit the park. The Californians seem happy with it, but they got a good ride, too. It sounds very TDO to build a land and skip the cool ride, lol. But a dark ride (especially if they include Catastropy Canyon!) could be great. :)

Its my understanding that they had budgeted the money for a new Soarin film years ago, but scrapped it before shooting.

I'm a big fan of randomized show attractions. Star Tour 2.0, Tower of Terror make great use of the concept and the new Hogwarts Express that will link the two parks at Uni is rumored to use this concept too. Definitely something we can expect to see in new attractions moving forward.

Why is everyone so upset about the possibility of no RSR? It would make the area more unique and allow for creativity on another great ride in it's place. I'd rather something new honestly if the ride will still be of the same quality.

People are skeptical of TDO's cut-happy budgeting record. After the back and forth between them and WDI we're often left with the very minimum.

MickeyPeace

So basically Carsland HS would be a New Fantasyland 2.0. A highly themed restaurant and C/D ticket. No thanks. Do it right Disney or don't do it at all.

As for a new Soarin film. Great. But leave Planes out of it.

I'm not a fan or Cars or Planes (since it's more of the same). There is no need for characters in Soarin. An no need for more lameness in HS.

luv

Its my understanding that they had budgeted the money for a new Soarin film years ago, but scrapped it before shooting.
I really like Soarin. I do hope a new film isn't just, "Here's the pyramids, here's the Great Wall..." I like how Soarin showed me things I wouldn't necessarily have expected, like the golfers next to the mountains.

It's a good ride. I hope the new film comes to be. :)

PhotoDave219

So basically Carsland HS would be a New Fantasyland 2.0. A highly themed restaurant and C/D ticket. No thanks. Do it right Disney or don't do it at all.

As for a new Soarin film. Great. But leave Planes out of it.

I'm not a fan or Cars or Planes (since it's more of the same). There is no need for characters in Soarin. An no need for more lameness in HS.

Keep in mind, this is Scream Scape. Their reputation for accuracy is slim at best over the past 10 years.

Sue_Vongello

If they are dropping RSR to do "family friendly" "people eaters" in Carsland ... that's not a bad idea BUT with the money they are "saving" might as well throw in MI Coaster along with a major E-Ticket SW addition ... if they drop RSR and don't add anything else of value outside of a "dark ride" this will be a major disappointment ... (speaking of ... wait ... maybe they are trying to divert attention away from new fantasyland!?)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom