Astro Orbiter and TTA Refurbishment in 2014

PeterAlt

It changed nearly in the blink of an eye; completely rehabbed during all of calendar year 2004 and into the spring of '05. New executive blood was brought in, and everything made a 180 degree turn very fast, aesthetically and culturally. The same thing could happen at WDW too.
I was there in 2003 and 2006. Nothing was open at the MK there in 2003. Was lucky to even have rode PotC then. I liked it better in 2003 than 2006 (PotC). The additions were really unnecessary. WDW's version needed anything it can get.

PeterAlt

Yeah but Disney needs to rehab all of DL's Tomorrowland, not just the PeopleMover tracks. Putting Tron in Tomorrowland with it still looking the way it does wouldn't be too good.

Alrighty, I have to be up for class in a few hours. Goodnight!
Al Lutz keeps talking about an Iron Man ride going into DL's Tommorowland. That and Tron sound like the makings of a great redo.

Raven - for purposes of this discussion, I'm only talking about DL in reference to the possibility of an Iron Man ride.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Maybe this was a concept and I was wishful dreaming!

5b15a4d66d9145da4e709b84328161dc_zps684c0704.jpg
It was a concept. I drew it!

This was one of the original proposed Peoplemover routes before Space Port morphed into Space Mountain.

The TTA/WEDway has never been altered / shortened. The Raceway underneath it has in 1974 but thats all.

articos

It was a concept. I drew it!

This was one of the original proposed Peoplemover routes before Space Port morphed into Space Mountain.

The TTA/WEDway has never been altered / shortened. The Raceway underneath it has in 1974 but thats all.
That explains it. Were you trying to more closely match the routing of DL's? Speedway was expanded in 73, then shortened in 87.

COProgressFan

It changed nearly in the blink of an eye; completely rehabbed during all of calendar year 2004 and into the spring of '05. New executive blood was brought in, and everything made a 180 degree turn very fast, aesthetically and culturally. The same thing could happen at WDW too.

It could happen at WDW, but would be a much longer process. WDW is just so vast, that it would take considerably longer than a couple years to bring everything back up to par. So I while I continue to hope things can change for the better, I try to rationalize that if and when this does happen, it will take some time.

meyeet

It could happen at WDW, but would be a much longer process. WDW is just so vast, that it would take considerably longer than a couple years to bring everything back up to par. So I while I continue to hope things can change for the better, I try to rationalize that if and when this does happen, it will take some time.
But aren't some things getting better? Main street has had lots of cleanup over the last two years, SM just got a needed refurb, New FL is opening... Lots still to do but seems some rides that have needed attention are starting to get more.

COProgressFan

But aren't some things getting better? Main street has had lots of cleanup over the last two years, SM just got a needed refurb, New FL is opening... Lots still to do but seems some rides that have needed attention are starting to get more.

These are small incremental changes, and are appreciated, but in many ways these are the types of improvements and refurbishments that should be already happening. Should we get all hot and bothered by routine maintenance and upkeep? When we as a fan community get all excited about a refurb gone right (Splash) or paint on Main St., then that is symptomatic of having been conditioned to expect the least from WDW.

Things might be a little bit better than they were 3 or 4 years ago, but I don't see the tide turning yet, sadly.

baymenxpac

i'm really excited about a refurb of rocket tower plaza. i don't know exactly when it happened, but some time in my teen years, tomorrowland became my favorite part of the MK. i love the feel of it, and if they could get it back on track thematically, it would be such a treat. an update of RTP and an elimination of the laugh floor and stitch for something that actually fits the theme of tomorrow would be great (i won't even stretch and ask for a real refurb of space mountain).

MerlinTheGoat

Refurbs are always welcome as said. But like '74 says, people really need to temper their excitement for something that should be simple given. It says a lot about how incredibly bad things had gotten over the past decade or so when people are treating Splash Mountain's refurb like it's some sort of major new attraction or theme park expansion. The issue is that refurbs like that used to be and still should be a simple "given". And it shows a lot about the company when these refurbs had become so scarce in recent times that people are wetting themselves over the possibility that a disney theme park element might be brought back into a state where it's not literally falling apart anymore.

Refurbs are welcome, but they should be treated as they once were- something that is expected for the simple fact that you are experiencing a Disney product. It's a standard they set for themselves (we only hold them to that standard). Disney has declined the standards they once set for themselves however. And it says a lot about how desperate the fanbase has been over the past decade that refurbs are a rare and exciting occurrence, treating them as if we're getting new attractions.

I'm happy as everyone else that Splash Mountain looks great and that may not be the end of the cleanup. The problem is not that the parks are being cleaned up. The problems are that the cleanups were even necessary in the first place (proper preventative maintenance that used to be a standard would have kept these aspects from needing such major fixes in the first place), and that people are treating it like we're getting something amazing and special. As said, i'm very happy that certain parts of WDW have begun to get cleaned up (whether they remain that way is another story), but it's not something on the level of new attractions and we should expect these sorts of cleanings to be a simple standard (not a rare exception).

Californian Elitist

That's exactly what I'm thinking. lol Seriously, I really don't want to see Tron or Tony Stark in TL because quite frankly it doesn't really fit since those films technically take place in the present.

Stark Expo is very futuristic, IMO. Have you seen Iron Man 2? If you have, remember the scene when Tony was watching footage of his dad and Stark Expo? That scene screamed Walt Disney and Tomorrowland.

Iron Man in general is pretty futuristic. The film may be present but Tony Stark is always thinking of new, innovative inventions. Same with Tron. Last time I checked, people don't go through the Grid and fight with laser discs and such today.

lazyboy97o

Stark Expo is very futuristic, IMO. Have you seen Iron Man 2? If you have, remember the scene when Tony was watching footage of his dad and Stark Expo? That scene screamed Walt Disney and Tomorrowland.
So why bring a copy of Tomorrowland to Tomorrowland? It's highly indicative of the mentality that themed entertainment needs prexisting intellectual property.

Californian Elitist

So why bring a copy of Tomorrowland to Tomorrowland? It's highly indicative of the mentality that themed entertainment needs prexisting intellectual property.

I won't argue that that is the mentality now. But I'm not going to pretend the idea of Stark Expo in Tomorrowland doesn't excite me. It could be very cool and I don't care, in this particular situation, that it's an existing property. The days of original attractions are pretty much gone.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom