Possible Changes coming to the Guest Assistance Cards (GAC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
It's best not to ask anything.

One time working for another mouse (not Disney, the one from New Jersey), I had a kid come through the front door with a bandage over his head.

Now, it was baseball season, and this kid was about 11 or 12 years old. We had a lot of visiting teams in, as the Little League World Series was in my city that year.

So, kid comes through the front door, and I figure it must be a baseball injury or something. The kid said, no it wasn't, and didn't seem terribly upset, but was rather quiet. So, I let it go, stamped their hands and wished them a magical day (yeah, the other mouse steals a lot from Disney)...

A few moments later the mother comes up to me (I was the manager on duty) and cusses me out for how rude and unprofessional I was.

See...turns out, the kid was born without an ear. He never liked to leave the house, and felt self conscious about it. His mother had convinced him that they could bandage it up, and no one would notice.

The visit to Chuck E. Cheese was supposed to be his grand treat for leaving the house.

Well...guess who was the first person all day to notice? Me...

Though, I sortof disagreed with her mother coddling the kid who is going to have to live with this deformity for the rest of his life, so he really shouldn't be ashamed of it...that's not my place. He's not my kid.

Anyhow, after that, I never again even tried to politely mention (even if well-meaning) anything out of the ordinary (along those lines) again.

Tom Morrow

^ Yes, by brushing it off like that, its the exact mentality that is letting the abuse run rampant. You don't know because you aren't directly dealing with it or looking for it. But if you DID... then you'd probably be pretty upset that people who paid for the same tickets as you are riding significantly more and causing you to be able to ride less.

Of course if it were only a small handful of people using/abusing the cards, it would be fine and nobody would really think twice about it. But it isn't just a few people.... I mean it says up front right in the article in the OP.

s&k'smom

OK I'm going to say one more thing than I'm done. There are abuses for things everywhere, I work two customer service jobs and believe me they'll complain long and loud enough to get something for free. So the GAC is no different. Don't ever tell me if I can't stand in a line I should'nt be there and the same for my son. You are no better than someone who wants something for free and if you complain enough you think you'll get it. Walk a mile in my shoes or any other parents and then get back to me.

Disneycoog

Wel if you all are gonna complain about GAC then you need to be at the front of the bus line and miss a bus because of a person that appears to be ok riding a cart and all 12 of their family members get on board Right as the bus arrives and you have been there for 20+ minutes. That stinks, but you really don't know the whole problem and they would probably like to change lives with you and stand in line, but again you probably don't know. I am with the guy above this should not have 600+ comments. I just have a feeling this Next Gen stuff is going to be an epic failure!!!

Tom Morrow

OK I'm going to say one more thing than I'm done. There are abuses for things everywhere, I work two customer service jobs and believe me they'll complain long and loud enough to get something for free. So the GAC is no different. Don't ever tell me if I can't stand in a line I should'nt be there and the same for my son. You are no better than someone who wants something for free and if you complain enough you think you'll get it. Walk a mile in my shoes or any other parents and then get back to me.
*facepalm*... no matter how much I and others explain that 1. This thread is not attacking people with actual disabilities and 2. There are alternate ways to fairly accommodate said individuals with actual disabilities that won't also result in such widespread scamming, people still have to chime in and play the victim and complain.

goherdibg

I guess my question is why are there 500+ posts on this topic?? You all just need to worry about yourselves instead of harping on what other people are doing wrong!! Most people on here are really making assumptions with no facts to be found and that is no better than a person that uses a GAC!!! God bless and magical dreams!!!!

A few years ago, while waiting to pick my daughter up from one of her activities, I was talking to a group of friends about Disney and one dad started bragging about how he scammed a GAC for his son. His son is 7 years old, is in perfect condition, and plays competitive hockey all year long. He was laughing about how he told his son to twitch his head a little bit to make his story more believable. Needless to say, my wife and I immediately re-evaluated our friendship with that family. Now, here is the icing on the cake:

A year later we learned that same person was brought up on charge for embezzling $950,000 from his company. He is now spending 36 months in the pen.

Is there a relationship between the 2 immoral/unethical acts? I believe so. While one is much more extreme, if you are willing to lie about a disability just so you don't have to wait as long as me, you have a serious issue with entitlement (yes I went there).

Violet

Hi all, first post here, read the entire thread last night. I had no idea about any of this! First some background, I do have a condition that makes WDW hard for me (not a visible condition) and I never knew this card even existed. We are all dealt a certain hand in life, and this condition is mine and so I adapt to WDW and it means I don't get as much done as many people, but that's ok. I can't even imagine what I would ask for in terms of accommodations, although being able to jump to the front of the line would help a lot.

Anyway, aside from my personal drama, I guess I just wanted to say that people shouldn't be getting angry at each other over this, in general. If this is really true, and people are getting fake GACs or abusing GACs, I think the anger should be focused on WDW/DL, not other guests.

Not to derail this thread, but there is also a lot of Fastpass abuse going on. One of my relatives just got back from a spring break trip and was bragging to me how he collected Fastpasses and would just use them on any ride he wanted, even old ones from the day before, because as long as he didn't make eye contact with the CMs, they wouldn't stop him. I guess when things are so crowded, they don't have the time or energy to confront guests. I was telling him about the new FP system that is coming and he got so angry, saying "That's not going to work for me, that's not going to work for me!" Yeah, I bet it's not.

Anyway, I guess my point is that it is the park's responsibility to manage these things fairly and stop abuse. People will abuse things like this if they can get away with it, it's just human nature.

While there are clearly people who need the GAC, I believe there's more people who are just abusing it. Anyone with a real condition, visible or not, that limits their ability to wait in line, of course needs something to help them out and make their stay more enjoyable and I agree with that. HOWEVER, I have visited WDW not very many, but enough times, and have never actually seen someone who needs it using a GAC-what I mean is, on my past two trips, I went with my high school (yes, I was one of those) and at least four different people have rented a wheelchair or pretended to be disabled solely to get a "front of the line pass". It's disgusting to see a group of prissy teenagers abusing something that was meant to help those who really need it. Disney needs to make everyone change their mindset about GAC and realize it is supposed to be a card to help those who need it to find a place to make the wait for lines more comfortable/less stressful (or shorter if necessary), not to eliminate it altogether, and stick to that philosophy. I traveled with a friend in a walking boot who did not get a GAC, but did get extremely annoyed when Nother member of our group pretended her ankle was hurt in order to get one. Imagine having to be the cast member who most likely knows they are lying but still has to issue one anyway.

As for the Fastpasses, I think that may change with the whole nextgen situation. Or at least I hope-the PARENTS of a few of the people in our group would literally surround a Fastpass machine and break it, causing it to spew out hundreds of fast passes at once. Then proceed to hand them out to anyone who wanted them, and throw the extras away.

Needless to say, I did not really enjoy those people.

luv

Wel if you all are gonna complain about GAC then you need to be at the front of the bus line and miss a bus because of a person that appears to be ok riding a cart and all 12 of their family members get on board Right as the bus arrives and you have been there for 20+ minutes. That stinks, but you really don't know the whole problem and they would probably like to change lives with you and stand in line, but again you probably don't know. I am with the guy above this should not have 600+ comments. I just have a feeling this Next Gen stuff is going to be an epic failure!!!
I have no problems with people in ECVs or wheelchairs. It isn't about being mildly inconvenienced to help someone who needs help. I'll happily wait for them. God knows they do enough waiting in their lives. I can do a little, too.

It's about the GAC and the rampant abuse. Many more people get these things for absolutely no good reason than people who ACTUALLY NEED assistance.

I know people who do this. I know Disney employees who have encouraged it because "Everyone else does." Some Disney employees do it. It's wrong.

It is getting to point where people who lie about GACs get through the line, those who lie about speaking English get through, those who put up a stink about FP times get through and anyone who is willing to cut, push or shove their way to the front of the line get through.

The only people waiting in line are the ignorant and the well-behaved. That just doesn't seem fair to me.

Violet

Maybe the real issue is that the parks are just too darn crowded much of the time.

As for me, I am looking forward to FPP, I think it will help with a lot of this. I will be thrilled if I can get reserved times for three main attractions a day.

FabulousFigment

I don't pretend to know everything about these GAC cards, nor do I pretend to know everything about the FP+.. however is there a way that they can integrate the two to make things more fair??

People who typically require a GAC card can use the RFID in card or bracelet form. They take their card and get a "GAC Pass" type thing to come back but the time to come back could be for the amount of the actual wait time. i.e. if Peter Pan has a 45 minute wait, they get a pass to come back and get to the front of the line in 45 minutes?? This way they are technically waiting on line, just not in line?? They can see other attractions, sit on a bench.. whatever.

It would not be as appealing to those who didn't actually need it if it wasn't "jump to the front of each and every line"

SoupBone

GAC abuse is out of control. Disney has to put an end to this. They have to come up with something that helps people who TRULY need help, but isn't taken advantage of by everyone under the sun.

I think this is something that every single poster in this thread can agree on. I just don't know that any of the suggested solutions can eliminate people abusing it. People figure out ways to scam just about everything so that they can cheat in life, the GAC will sadly continue to be no exception. And the people that will suffer are those that truly need the GAC.

Dasnowz

People who typically require a GAC card can use the RFID in card or bracelet form. They take their card and get a "GAC Pass" type thing to come back but the time to come back could be for the amount of the actual wait time. i.e. if Peter Pan has a 45 minute wait, they get a pass to come back and get to the front of the line in 45 minutes?? This way they are technically waiting on line, just not in line?? They can see other attractions, sit on a bench.. whatever.

While I see your point in being fair for what you feel there is a fairness for everyone issue again. There are illnesses that cannot tolerate the heat or extended time at the park. So the scenario is you can only take it in 2-3 hour increments or become very ill ( yes I know someone like this with documented type illness) so if they come in and can only get a 45 min wait pass then in the short time they are able to be in the park would get to 2 things for that day. How would this be fair for this person? She has a child who loves Disney. Her family spends the same as everyone else to have a vacation. Disney's goal is to make it as accessible for everyone as possible.

Most GAC people that I know that truly need them are on rides such as peter pan or its a small world or pirates and maybe one time on thrill ride such as splash. They are more inclined to be in the slower rides or shows.

The other problem is this. If you give someone a pass to return in say 45 min they come back. Then you have to merge them in with the fast pass and regular lines. People will be up in arms at someone getting a front of the line pass at that point. The fast pass people will be screaming that its not fair the regular line people will then try to find out how do I get one. I think this will cause more issues because then people will run around and collect front of the line passes then hit all the rides in order and be done. There will still be the abuse just a lot more organized.

The other thing is this. On Toy Story when you use the handicap entrance the wait can far exceed the ride wait time. You have to wait for the special car to come around and its only sent through so often.Its not a quick on and off thing. You will wait. I have heard it can be upwards of 90 minutes for handicap access when the regular line is 30 min. We went one time on space mountain and the handicap line was over 2 hour wait. Ironically The person who is handicap in our party got ill on the ride but she can say she has ridden it once.

There is a GAC stamp that gives front of the line privileges now. There are different stamps for different situations. Its up to the CM in Guest services what they give out. When we go in for our GAC we bring our state issued disability card that goes with our state issued disabled license plates to prove what we are asking for. In our state a Doctor must sign the papers that you cannot walk long distances or have documented breathing issues. CM are getting stricter with whats on them and most are just like a fast pass at this point. Very few are for alternate entrances (the handicap side entrance) or other accommodations. I talked with Guest services last week. They know there is a problem but no one can come up with a fair solution. From what is being said there is no plans in the IMMEDIATE future to do away with them. I say immediate because you never know in the long term there might be something that is thought of.

FabulousFigment

Ok, there. Like I said, I dont pretend to know everything about GAC, was just offering an idea. It is not just people like myself who are fortunate enough not to need the GAC card who get tired of seeing people abuse it. It is those who genuinely need the GAC card who are getting tired of it as well. Not to mention how tired of it they will be when those that abused the system get it shut down completely.

I was simply offering an idea. Nothing is going to help the handicapped wait times when the need for a specific vehicle is the issue - only Disney can fix that by adding more wheel chair accessible vehicles.

RSoxNo1

Original Poster
I'm working on an article about this. I don't believe this problem is solved by changing the rules of usage once a GAC is acquired. That doesn't mean that those rules can't be tweaked, it just won't solve the problem. The program is a good one, but it's the issuing of the GAC that needs to be controlled.

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
GAC abuse is out of control. Disney has to put an end to this. They have to come up with something that helps people who TRULY need help, but isn't taken advantage of by everyone under the sun.

Funny thing, i have spent many hours in lines with other GAC families, very few have been what I would characterize as abusive. Those that were abusing the system were usually teanagers. The majority, and not by a small margin, of people using the cards in attraction lines were legitimate as far I could see.

Lord_Vader

150 per hour? That's ridiculous. I bet 75% of them had no disability.

I would bet you might be right, only one guest using a GAC in a family of four would make it 25%. I would expect that no more than 25% of riders in a GAC line actually need the card, the rest are with the GAC user for the most part. There are ALWAYS people looking to abuse/shortcut/cheat whatever system that is put into place to make the most of their time in the parks, it is not right to cheat as you are in effect stealing time from other guests. I think the "problem" is overstated for the most part and Disney does typically limit the number of guests per hour that can use them by passing them from the standard queus to a secondary area, as is the case for many rides such as BTMRR, TSMM, HM, SM, Splash Mountain, EE... The lines in those secondary areas have taken well over the standby line time in many visits over the years and seem to get longer each year.

Lord_Vader

This thread is hilarious.

It would be such an eye opening experience for any of you to actually work a Fastpass Return or Merge position. Only then would you understand the annoyance of GAC cards and the way some Guests throw them in your face and say "we have a Fastpass, where do we go!?"

The Stand-By line hasn't a clue how much longer they wait because of GAC cards, but since everyone who gets a GAC card dare never be questioned, I guess it's ok!

How "ok" would you be with the "disabled" getting GAC cards the next time you see pre-teens using their parents GAC card to skip ahead of you? How untouchable is this topic when you are wait 60 minutes and you see 10 straight families of GAC cards skip ahead of you? It's bad enough that people who get GAC cards complain that they have to wait. Get over it.

GAC cards are used for an alternate entrance, not immediate access. Yet, many Guests with a GAC yell at or act annoyed with a Merge Cast Member or length of the line if they have to wait more than 5 minutes. Here's a fact: Cast Members get GAC cards on the ride quickly, because they don't want to deal with those people.

I don't believe for one second that most people need GAC cards. Again, if only MOST of you understood the impact of GAC cards on the operation.

I am sure GAC are a total pain to deal with and the worst guests to deal with are also probably the ones that do not need them. The easiest solution I can see is what has been done for years at Space Mountian, provide a return time to the guest on a card and verify that the party that returns with the return card also has the GAC.

Also, the solution to guests using GAC thinking they should have immediate access to a ride is not letting anyone with a GAC on the ride immediately. Make the party check-in and return later, hopefully some of the rumoured features of the new MagicBands/MyMagic+ will eliminate ALL the percieved problems with GACs, read Jim Hill's article on the NextGen enhancements coming over the next few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom