MagicBands WILL become a thing...

G00fyDad

And so that means you'll have to want one in order to accept the offer. @Sue_Vongello is right, Disney wants us to want these.

THAT I get. I took her comment to mean that Disney will "require" people to use them.

Of course Disney wants us to use these. And I will. Not out of some automaton reasoning, but because I just like them and I like the idea of RFID. Its just that simple. I totally understand that some people don't like them. Heck, there are those that hate them. I have heard reasons from the sensible "They will irritate my wrists." to the insane "Disney is trying to spy on me." as reasons people don't like them. That's just fine, because they don't have to take one. ;)

G00fyDad

Are these mailed out to us, or do we get them when we check in?

Not sure yet. Probably mailed to you once your trip is paid off. Mine is paid off so I hope they offer them soon.

So wait, when you walk through the reader, how do they know you haven't given your band to someone else?

They still use the biometric scanners. So the same way they knew your tickets were yours before.
Are they a one vacation use?

I hope not.

Sue_Vongello

THAT I get. I took her comment to mean that Disney will "require" people to use them.

Of course Disney wants us to use these. And I will. Not out of some automaton reasoning, but because I just like them and I like the idea of RFID. Its just that simple. I totally understand that some people don't like them. Heck, there are those that hate them. I have heard reasons from the sensible "They will irritate my wrists." to the insane "Disney is trying to spy on me." as reasons people don't like them. That's just fine, because they don't have to take one. ;)

No, I meant essentially that these are ugly and sarcastically asked that "they want us to want them, right?" I can't envision wanting to wear that but I guess if I use it, it's not a hassle to grab it out of my purse.

G00fyDad

No, I meant essentially that these are ugly and sarcastically asked that "they want us to want them, right?" I can't envision wanting to wear that but I guess if I use it, it's not a hassle to grab it out of my purse.

I understand. My wife is not really big on this idea either, but she will just use her KttW card instead and she'll be fine. ;)

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
No. They are offering these in place of the cards you usually get.
It's all about the convenience for me. No more trips back to the car to pick up a card left in a jacket pocket; or worse yet, to Guest Services to get a new card. No more forcing everyone to come to a dead stop on the opposite side of the turnstiles to collect all the cards. No more fishing out the cards to collect Fastpasses. At a quick glance at everyone's wrist, you know instantly if you have a missing band.
Similarly, I found the PhotopassPlus card on a lanyard so much more convenient than the regular cards which have to be pulled out of your pocket or purse each time.
And if you look at my avatar, I am already wearing a pink plastic band, so I am clearly not averse to the band concept.
It will also make a great souvenir - better than the bookmark KTTK card.
I'm in.

G00fyDad

It's all about the convenience for me. No more trips back to the car to pick up a card left in a jacket pocket; or worse yet, to Guest Services to get a new card. No more forcing everyone to come to a dead stop on the opposite side of the turnstiles to collect all the cards. No more fishing out the cards to collect Fastpasses. At a quick glance at everyone's wrist, you know instantly if you have a missing band.
Similarly, I found the PhotopassPlus card on a lanyard so much more convenient than the regular cards which have to be pulled out of your pocket or purse each time.
And if you look at my avatar, I am already wearing a pink plastic band, so I am clearly not averse to the band concept.
It will also make a great souvenir - better than the bookmark KTTK card.
I'm in.

EXACTLY how I feel. :D

Gringrinngghost

No, they can be reused.
I believe they will be powered by a button cell battery. If not they would have to have a charging port and would have to have an easier access to the internals but as the FCC filing states: "... internal photos because the device is potted in plastic and over molded with thermal plastic polyurethane. It would destroy the circuit board and the product if the plastic and over mold were removed. Note that the internal photo of the PCB assembly was taken without the potting in plastic and over mold."

lazyboy97o

I believe they will be powered by a button cell battery. If not they would have to have a charging port and would have to have an easier access to the internals but as the FCC filing states: "... internal photos because the device is potted in plastic and over molded with thermal plastic polyurethane. It would destroy the circuit board and the product if the plastic and over mold were removed. Note that the internal photo of the PCB assembly was taken without the potting in plastic and over mold."
They're going to be available to Annual Passholders and Cast Members.

flynnibus

Premium Member

Yes - that just means they will have a finite lifespan - but that doesn't mean it has to be just days. I've speculated the system will use signals to know when it should be active or when it should go idle to increase battery life.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom