We always knew this day would come...this is most likely our last September PTR

Hi all. Well, we're under 180 days now, so it's time for the annual PTR. Before we get into the details, first the introductions:
PH294220912-0053.jpg

(this is probably our favourite family picture - we had it taken last year at EPCOT). From left to right...Our DS Liam (10), DW Tammy (I'm not stupid enough to put her age...), Me (Graham (38)) and Our DS Stephanie (12).

First let me say that we are really looking forward to this trip. We came home from our last trip really excited about going again, and then the company I work for announced a huge company-wide reorganization that put any vacation planning on hold. Four months of uncertainty followed, until I was called into my director's office in late January to be told that my position and the group that I lead were all staying as is. Talk about relief. So with that out of the way, we started planning our next trip...

Our current plan is to be down at WDW from Sept 18th to Sept 27th. We have a 1 bedroom villa at Kidani Village - standard view (we stayed here last year and loved it). March 22nd was our 180 day mark, but I had problems using the on-line reservation system in the morning, so had to wait until after work to book our ADRs. I was a bit concerned that some of the more popular places would be booked, but everything worked out great. Here's what we have:

Sept 18 - 'Ohana
Sept 19 - Be Our Guest
Sept 20 - Sci-Fi (Liam's choice)
Sept 21 - Rose & Crown
Sept 22 - Whispering Canyon (Steph's choice)
Sept 23 - Boma
Sept 24 - Teppan Edo
Sept 25 - Cape May Cafe
Sept 26 - Mama Melrose
Sept 27 - Liberty Tree Tavern

We're not sure if there is anything "extra" we want to do this year. I love the MNSSHP, but we've done it 3 times now. I would do it again, but may have to convince the better half that it would be fun again. We also really loved the water parks last year, so may add that on. There has also been talk of the Dessert Party if that is extended to September. We'll wait and see though. I'm also really looking forward to getting the Magic Bands. I hate carrying around a wallet with all the room keys in them.

As the title says, this is probably our last September trip. This will be Steph's last year before high school, and we don't think it will be wise to take her out of school any more (we always clear our September trips with the kids teachers and make sure they have work to do to keep up so they aren't behind when they get back). We've always loved travelling in September due to the lower crowd levels (and it works best from my work schedule), but it looks like we'll have to pick another time of year to go after this year (or a cruise maybe).

journ116

That really is a great family photo! How did you go about getting it done at EP?

I have a much younger sister who is of high school age, and together with our mom, we decided to take a big family trip in December 2010. She was only a freshman at the time and it worked out great (she had yet to settle into any sports or activities). And because her classes were't doing much considering Christmas break began the week after we returned from WDW, she really didn't miss too much in terms of tests, etc.. My mom and step-dad come from the mindset that, "if you're doing well in school, and you're not going to miss any extra-curricular practices, why not take a trip during the school year?!"

Have a great time with your countdown! (Oh, AKV's are our home resort and we LOVE it!)

gwhb75

Original Poster
That really is a great family photo! How did you go about getting it done at EP?

I have a much younger sister who is of high school age, and together with our mom, we decided to take a big family trip in December 2010. She was only a freshman at the time and it worked out great (she had yet to settle into any sports or activities). And because her classes were't doing much considering Christmas break began the week after we returned from WDW, she really didn't miss too much in terms of tests, etc.. My mom and step-dad come from the mindset that, "if you're doing well in school, and you're not going to miss any extra-curricular practices, why not take a trip during the school year?!"

Have a great time with your countdown! (Oh, AKV's are our home resort and we LOVE it!)

We booked a photshoot through Disney Event Photography (http://www.disneyeventphotography.com/). You can pick from EPCOT, Hollywood Studios or Animal Kingdom as your location. We picked EPCOT. We were in the park at 7:30am and had a 1 hour shoot around World Showcase. It was a lot of fun.

I would love to own at AKV. We bought into DVC about 4 years ago through the resale market, and went with the cheapest points we could find, which was SSR. We like SSR, but really prefer AKL.

PolynesianPrincess

Love the family picture!!

September is really a great time to travel. We will be there Sept 7-15 (4 nights will be on the Dream cruising) We've never been that early in Sept so we're looking forward to trying it out! And I know all about not taking kids out of school for trips. We usually go the end of April/beginning of May but this year we are bringing my cousins along so we have to go the week of Memorial Day instead so my cousin won't miss too much school (she is 13) hopefully the crowds won't be absolutely insane!

Awesome dining choices! Cant wait to read all about it when you come back!! :)

epcotisbest

We usually go in September (and sometimes early Dec. and early May) as well, because of the low crowd levels and it is our anniversary. No kids so we don't have to worry about school plans. Last Sept. we stayed at SSR and really enjoyed walking to DTD. This Sept. it is BLT and look forward to walking to MK.
You mentioned doing something extra...we like to resort hop and try desserts at different resort restaurants. That is fun and you get to try different places. Once, we had desserts or appetizers at each of the monorail resorts.

gwhb75

Original Poster
Love the family picture!!

September is really a great time to travel. We will be there Sept 7-15 (4 nights will be on the Dream cruising) We've never been that early in Sept so we're looking forward to trying it out! And I know all about not taking kids out of school for trips. We usually go the end of April/beginning of May but this year we are bringing my cousins along so we have to go the week of Memorial Day instead so my cousin won't miss too much school (she is 13) hopefully the crowds won't be absolutely insane!

Awesome dining choices! Cant wait to read all about it when you come back!! :)

Yeah, we love September. We went in October a few years ago, but with Food and Wine on we found the crowds to be busier than we were used to (and I know the summer/March break/Christmas people are rolling their eyes at that). However, I'd still take a more crowded Disney to no Disney at all. Looking forward to reading about your trip in September and the cruise too (is it your first cruise?). Thanks for the comment on the picture too.

gwhb75

Original Poster
We usually go in September (and sometimes early Dec. and early May) as well, because of the low crowd levels and it is our anniversary. No kids so we don't have to worry about school plans. Last Sept. we stayed at SSR and really enjoyed walking to DTD. This Sept. it is BLT and look forward to walking to MK.
You mentioned doing something extra...we like to resort hop and try desserts at different resort restaurants. That is fun and you get to try different places. Once, we had desserts or appetizers at each of the monorail resorts.

The monorail resort thing sounds interesting. One thing we had talked about doing is going to World Showcase and each of us picking a quick service lunch from a different country and then sampling what we all picked. I know the logistics of that are a bit more complicated, but I think it would be fun to try. Thanks for reading the PTR.

epcotisbest

The monorail resort thing sounds interesting. One thing we had talked about doing is going to World Showcase and each of us picking a quick service lunch from a different country and then sampling what we all picked. I know the logistics of that are a bit more complicated, but I think it would be fun to try. Thanks for reading the PTR.
We have done that as well...kinda like grazing with small orders at several places at Epcot. We order one thing and split it, then try another place and repeat...fun and tasty and you can have your own Food and Wine (without the wine) Festival anytime.

cfry06

Beautiful family & photo! Your plans sound wonderful. I love the ADR choices. I haven't traveled to WDW in September yet, but that is on the table for next year perhaps! For something special/different, maybe take a look at the Pirates and Pals fireworks cruise. I can't wait until my son is old enough to appreciate it, and I've read reviews for all age groups (some adults only) who loved it. Pretty reasonable too.

Love the idea of The Epcot walking food tour- we tried a few new quick service restaurants in World Showcase on our last trip and sooo happy we did (Katsura Grill & Tangierine Cafe, I'm looking at you!) Can't wait to try more in early June! I look forward to hearing about your trip!

gwhb75

Original Poster
Beautiful family & photo! Your plans sound wonderful. I love the ADR choices. I haven't traveled to WDW in September yet, but that is on the table for next year perhaps! For something special/different, maybe take a look at the Pirates and Pals fireworks cruise. I can't wait until my son is old enough to appreciate it, and I've read reviews for all age groups (some adults only) who loved it. Pretty reasonable too.

Love the idea of The Epcot walking food tour- we tried a few new quick service restaurants in World Showcase on our last trip and sooo happy we did (Katsura Grill & Tangierine Cafe, I'm looking at you!) Can't wait to try more in early June! I look forward to hearing about your trip!

Thanks. September is definately a great time to go. The Pirates and Pals cruise sounds kind of cool. I'll look into that. Thanks for reading the PTR.

GeoDonJac34

Great photo. Your plans sound great, enjoy. We are in a similar situation, we have gone to Disney every Fall since 2003, and now DS is getting a little older. He enters high school this fall. We are still planning on going in November, but it may be our last fall trip if he struggles. We picked a week where there are four days of school. We return on Sunday and Monday is also a holiday. This will give him a little extra time to do some work. It is definitely a tough decision.

foreverbelle

Love the photo and sounds like your plans are great.

As for your company, glad to hear you are ok and all, totally understand as mine did the same not to long ago..gee I wonder if we work for the same place. ;)

I totally hear you with the last time thing, our son will be starting kindergarten trying to get the last spring trips in before he does.

Jessica Meier

As for your company, glad to hear you are ok and all, totally understand as mine did the same not to long ago..gee I wonder if we work for the same place. ;)

I totally hear you with the last time thing, our son will be starting kindergarten trying to get the last spring trips in before he does.
I'm with you both. We usually go in September for my daughter and husband's birthdays. She will start kindergarten in 2014 though so this September will be our last September trip. :(
Sounds like an awesome trip! I'm envious, I want to buy into DVC!

foreverbelle

I'm with you both. We usually go in September for my daughter and husband's birthdays. She will start kindergarten in 2014 though so this September will be our last September trip. :(

Yes 2014 is when my little one starts kindergarten as well....

journ116

We booked a photshoot through Disney Event Photography (http://www.disneyeventphotography.com/). You can pick from EPCOT, Hollywood Studios or Animal Kingdom as your location. We picked EPCOT. We were in the park at 7:30am and had a 1 hour shoot around World Showcase. It was a lot of fun.

I would love to own at AKV. We bought into DVC about 4 years ago through the resale market, and went with the cheapest points we could find, which was SSR. We like SSR, but really prefer AKL.

I just booked our family's first-ever family portrait session using Disney Event Photography!!! We're booked for June 9th in EP! The only family pictures we take are either during our yearly trip to WDW by a PP photography or by me with my dslr set on a timer...I have a feeling these pictures will turn out a sqoosh better;)!

Thank you again for the information and the inspiration (I told the lady taking our reservation that I heard it from this website and your pre-TR)!!

gwhb75

Original Poster
Great photo. Your plans sound great, enjoy. We are in a similar situation, we have gone to Disney every Fall since 2003, and now DS is getting a little older. He enters high school this fall. We are still planning on going in November, but it may be our last fall trip if he struggles. We picked a week where there are four days of school. We return on Sunday and Monday is also a holiday. This will give him a little extra time to do some work. It is definitely a tough decision.

Thanks. It will be tough not going in September again for us. We're thinking mid to late August may work, or a cruise is also an option. Hope you enjoy your trip.

gwhb75

Original Poster
I just booked our family's first-ever family portrait session using Disney Event Photography!!! We're booked for June 9th in EP! The only family pictures we take are either during our yearly trip to WDW by a PP photography or by me with my dslr set on a timer...I have a feeling these pictures will turn out a sqoosh better;)!

Thank you again for the information and the inspiration (I told the lady taking our reservation that I heard it from this website and your pre-TR)!!

That's awesome. We had a great time when we did our shoot. If you haven't done it yet, you will probably want to pre-order the CD of the pictures, that way you can either print off your own copies or get enlargements done at home (it's cheaper to pre-order than to order it after the shoot). Can't wait to hear how your shoot went.

gwhb75

Original Poster

Since you're in Virginia, I'm pretty confident we don't work at the same place. Regardless, it's never an easy time no matter where you are when things like that happen and there is nothing you can do but wait.

gwhb75

Original Poster

DVC is great. Ignoring the financial arguements (and trust me, there are plenty out there on both sides of the buy/don't buy discussion), it's kind of neat knowing you "own" a small piece of Disney. The big thing for us is that it makes it easier to take vacations. Hope you have a great trip in September too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom