When others think your Disney Vacation is stupid...

star77kc

Hi guys!! I thought maybe some of you may have had this problem in the past, and I wanted to see how others like myself feel about it. I am planning my twins 1st visit to the world for this upcoming December. I want to stay at the Art of Animation suites for 8 nights. My kids will only be 2 years old, so my plan was to go to the parks 5 days (1 day Epcot, 1 day AK, 1 day HS, and 2 days MK) with 2 "off" days to relax. I keep hearing "I can't Believe your going to pay that much to go to Disney", "why are you going for so long?" And "the kids won't even remember it". I'm starting to feel depressed about it as most people just don't understand. It has been a dream of mine for so long to be taking my kids for the 1st time, and now people are squashing it lol Does this happen to anyone else??

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
It is a wonderful family time. My DS first trip was at 14 months, 2 days after he learned to walk and fell on his pumpkin head in DTD, I asked for ice and they sent the paramedics, lol. Such a great time. It was the year of Mickey's Birthday party and he loved it. I think 2 days in MK is a great idea. My DD's first trip was at 2 months, she loved the colors and smiling at the attention people gave her and my DS finally at 5 got some attention after the new baby arrived. My DD during that 2 week trip learned to sleep through the night, worth every single penny just for that milestone! We went from the time my son was 14 months every year for 2 weeks, some they remember some they didn't but we had such fun in the moment and I'd never trade that time with them in the World of Magic. They don't have to remember, you have to remember the wonderful times you had with your kids.

Upvote 0

donaldtoo

We've run into that so many times over the years, yet most of these people return to their favorite vacation place time after time.
At this point, unless asked, we only tell those that we know will be happy for us returning to Disney.
I know it sounds kinda' corny and old fashioned, maybe, but only you can ruin your dreams in that way, others really can't...unless you let them. It's your dream, to heck with them...live the MAGIC with your loved ones...! :)

Upvote 0

star77kc

Original Poster
Thanks so much for replying guys!! I know my kids will have a great time, and I will always remember the look on their face when they meet Mickey for the 1st time (good or bad! Lol) unfortunately, my husband isn't really a Disney lover, but he is allowing the trip because it means so much to me. Anybody have any advice on how to sway him?? Lol

Upvote 0

star77kc

Original Poster
It is a wonderful family time. My DS first trip was at 14 months, 2 days after he learned to walk and fell on his pumpkin head in DTD, I asked for ice and they sent the paramedics, lol. Such a great time. It was the year of Mickey's Birthday party and he loved it. I think 2 days in MK is a great idea. My DD's first trip was at 2 months, she loved the colors and smiling at the attention people gave her and my DS finally at 5 got some attention after the new baby arrived. My DD during that 2 week trip learned to sleep through the night, worth every single penny just for that milestone! We went from the time my son was 14 months every year for 2 weeks, some they remember some they didn't but we had such fun in the moment and I'd never trade that time with them in the World of Magic. They don't have to remember, you have to remember the wonderful times you had with your kids.
That's so funny about them wanting to call the paramedics. They always want to be on top of everything! Lol When we go in December, I'm sure we will be in the middle of potty training. Maybe they will magically learn?? Lol

Upvote 0

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
My DD went at 2 over a year ago. She still remembers things. Like the fact she didn't get to meet Tiana - LOL.

She will pop out random facts from our trip from time to time. She loves looking at the pictures from our trip and watches the videos from our trip on a weekly basis.

As for the negative people around you I would question them back. Do they take their kids to visit with Santa, throw a first birthday party, give them gifts? Why they won't remember?

What kind of life is that if you only do things when your kids are old enough to remember? Silly.

Upvote 0

star77kc

Original Poster
My DD went at 2 over a year ago. She still remembers things. Like the fact she didn't get to meet Tiana - LOL.

She will pop out random facts from our trip from time to time. She loves looking at the pictures from our trip and watches the videos from our trip on a weekly basis.

As for the negative people around you I would question them back. Do they take their kids to visit with Santa, throw a first birthday party, give them gifts? Why they won't remember?

What kind of life is that if you only do things when your kids are old enough to remember? Silly.
Thank you so much for saying this. I was just talking to my husband about this. If we waited to do things with our kids until they were old enough to remember it forever, that would be a pretty boring childhood lol. I just get so frustrated with people who think this way.

Upvote 0

disneycouple07

One of my co-workers thinks I am "wasting my money" by going every year. This will be DD's first trip, she will be 2. At lunch, another co-worker and I always talk about Disney since he is a DVC member and goes 2-3 times a year. She hasn't been since she was a child so of course she doesn't understand why we go every year! She hasn't taken her son yet and has gone as far as booking trips but cancelling for "other reasons." It used to upset me because she would make rude comments in front of everyone over what resort we were staying at or how long we were going for. I finally asked our lunch group why they thought she was so against disney vacations. They all agreed that she was jealous. She's obviously going through a tough financial time (just from other comments she has made) and cannot afford to go this year. What she doesn't realize is we wouldn't be able to go if we didn't budget and save throughout the year. There's plenty of times we turn down fun things or weekend getaways due to our budget. I don't bring up Disney anymore at work that way I don't make her feel uncomfortable.

Please don't let others crush your dreams of taking your family to Disney! Enjoy those magical times :)

Upvote 0

star77kc

Original Poster
One of my co-workers thinks I am "wasting my money" by going every year. This will be DD's first trip, she will be 2. At lunch, another co-worker and I always talk about Disney since he is a DVC member and goes 2-3 times a year. She hasn't been since she was a child so of course she doesn't understand why we go every year! She hasn't taken her son yet and has gone as far as booking trips but cancelling for "other reasons." It used to upset me because she would make rude comments in front of everyone over what resort we were staying at or how long we were going for. I finally asked our lunch group why they thought she was so against disney vacations. They all agreed that she was jealous. She's obviously going through a tough financial time (just from other comments she has made) and cannot afford to go this year. What she doesn't realize is we wouldn't be able to go if we didn't budget and save throughout the year. There's plenty of times we turn down fun things or weekend getaways due to our budget. I don't bring up Disney anymore at work that way I don't make her feel uncomfortable.
Wow. That's really sad that she would take her frustrations out on you. Maybe you could just casually talk about how you save, where she can overhear. It's hard not to let those comments affect you though.

Upvote 0

disneycouple07

Wow. That's really sad that she would take her frustrations out on you. Maybe you could just casually talk about how you save, where she can overhear. It's hard not to let those comments affect you though.

She's come to me and asked for advice on saving and budgeting. I showed her how DH and I do it, what we put into savings, vacation, bills, etc. She's one of those people that ask for advice but takes none of it into consideration. When she saw what I put into our vacation budget, she said, "that is sick."

When the vacation is booked, I get a total amount. I add additional expenses that I know we'll incur during that time. I divide that by the number of weeks until the balance is due in full. So every week, I transfer into our vacation fund. I also decrease our weekend and "play" money. There are things we do give up, but its worth it in the end!

Upvote 0

emma c

I've got a mum like that a school all she does is make negative comments about wdw, the flight too long for children or they wont remember blah blah she has just gone to euro disney and was bragging about it to everyone when i mentioned we just booked all i got was a look and "I dont approve of such long flights with small children" bloomin woman!

Upvote 0

stevehousse

A lot of people at my work have never been to Disney and when I try to talk to them about it they just think it is weird that i have been so many times.

I will say though that finally a few months ago we hired 2 girls who are Disney fans like me and now I finall have people at work to talk to about it. We are both finalizing our next trips but we are not going at the same time.

Upvote 0

DisneyPrincess5

I know I'm going to sound like a Psych 101 class, but honestly who cares what others think of it?!?! It makes you and your family happy so stay strong and confident when you talk to those people. Your response should be "Really, you think so? That's too bad! This is our favorite vacation and we have a GREAT time! You should go one day too!!!"

Enjoy your trip and screw the naysayers! I've found that most people who make comments like that know not a thing about Disney, so their "opinions" aren't even valid.

Upvote 0

fireman17

Thanks so much for replying guys!! I know my kids will have a great time, and I will always remember the look on their face when they meet Mickey for the 1st time (good or bad! Lol) unfortunately, my husband isn't really a Disney lover, but he is allowing the trip because it means so much to me. Anybody have any advice on how to sway him?? Lol
Once your husband sees the look on your twins faces when they are in The Magic Kingdom you won't have to worry about swaying him at all the magic of Disney World will do it for you. I took my first WDW trip in 2003 with my DW who was pregnant with our third child our son was 5 and our daughter was 2 and to this day she'll still tell us things she remembers from the trip. Now back to me as it was my first WDW trip and DW did all the planning I was like a baby when it came time to leave. When we returned home I couldn't stop asking when we were going back and we did. In 2005 we returned with now 3 children for The Happiest Celebration on Earth in May and after that trip she surprised us with a second trip in September. I was hooked so bad we bought DVC in 2007. LOVE IT!!!

Upvote 0

star77kc

Original Poster
Once your husband sees the look on your twins faces when they are in The Magic Kingdom you won't have to worry about swaying him at all the magic of Disney World will do it for you. I took my first WDW trip in 2003 with my DW who was pregnant with our third child our son was 5 and our daughter was 2 and to this day she'll still tell us things she remembers from the trip. Now back to me as it was my first WDW trip and DW did all the planning I was like a baby when it came time to leave. When we returned home I couldn't stop asking when we were going back and we did. In 2005 we returned with now 3 children for The Happiest Celebration on Earth in May and after that trip she surprised us with a second trip in September. I was hooked so bad we bought DVC in 2007. LOVE IT!!!
Wow. This is awesome!! I don't think this will happen with my husband, but a girl can dream!!!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom