First timer staying at a Value resort.....need some help

katieclooney

This is my first trip staying at a Value resort rather than a moderate. My friend and I are booked at the All Star Music Resort for Labor day week.

I keep seeing mixed reviews of the Music resort as well as all the All Star ones. I requested the Calypso building cause its closest to the main building as well as bus stops.

For those of you who have stayed at Music, was choosing this resort a good idea? Am i right in thinking Calypso is the building of choice?

We are NOT bringing any kids with on this trip so I am not woried about kids having a good time. We just want a clean room with Disney amenities and perks.

Thank you :)

wolf359

I've stayed at all of the All Stars and at Pop Century and All Star Music is easily my favorite. The rooms have been upgraded so they all feel clean and fresh, I've found the busing to be easier at the All Stars than at Pop, and I just like the theming more than the others.

I've stayed in several buildings but not Calypso before. The proximity to the main building would be nice from an amenity standpoint, but the pool is almost always noisy. Jazz Inn has a nice balance of being close to the main building but far enough from the main pool to cut back on some noise, but since it was partially converted into suites it can be hard to get a regular room there now.

On our last trip we didn't use Disney buses at all and had a room WAY out in Country Fair on the parking lot side. Being surrounded by grass and trees and only steps away from the car was a VERY different vibe from the normal All Star hustle and bustle and I really enjoyed it. Being near the second pool was great and the only real drawback was the slightly long walk to the main building to shop and eat the couple times we wanted to do that.

Upvote 0

ParentsOf4

We don't stay at Value Resorts anymore because of the groups of unchaperoned teenagers yelling late into the night. They're having a great time, nothing wrong with that, but we're trying to sleep. Years ago, it seemed WDW use to do a much better job policing its public areas late at night. However, after 3 straight "bad" experiences at Value Resorts with loud guests late at night, we'll never go back again.

Upvote 0

katieclooney

Original Poster
We have gone in the past during Labor Day week and the kid population was near non existent so I am hoping it is that way this time as to not have pesky teenagers.

I understand the bus situation. Port Orleans bus route was always busy coming back from parks or early morning to get to parks.

Glad though to hear the Music resort was recenty updated! that seemed to be the biggest issue ppl had when i was researching it

Upvote 0

Rob562

FYI, Calypso is the Preferred section of Music, so unless you reserved a Preferred room, you pretty much have no chance in getting your request honored. You should probably amend your request to be "Jazz" or "close to the main building".

-Rob

Upvote 0
This is my first trip staying at a Value resort rather than a moderate. My friend and I are booked at the All Star Music Resort for Labor day week.

I keep seeing mixed reviews of the Music resort as well as all the All Star ones. I requested the Calypso building cause its closest to the main building as well as bus stops.

For those of you who have stayed at Music, was choosing this resort a good idea? Am i right in thinking Calypso is the building of choice?

We are NOT bringing any kids with on this trip so I am not woried about kids having a good time. We just want a clean room with Disney amenities and perks.

Thank you :)

All Star Music is my favorite Value resort.

As someone else mentioned, Calypso is preferred and costs more. Also, it's mostly family suites. The next best pick is Jazz...you should request this on your reservation as well. We stayed in Rock and we were fine as the layout at this Value is the most user friendly of all the Value Resorts.

The food court was busy at peak times, but any resort's eatery will be. We had no issues getting what we needed and out quickly in spite of the crowds.

Our room was clean and up to Disney standards.

I don't think you made a bad choice at all!! Have a nice trip!!!

Upvote 0

katieclooney

Original Poster
Ahh, I didnt know it was family suites. She didnt tell me that when I called and made the request. I just dont want to be on the farthest end of the resort is my worry. Not that its a huge deal, but if I can be closer Id like to be.

Upvote 0

lunchbox1175

We don't stay at Value Resorts anymore because of the groups of unchaperoned teenagers yelling late into the night. They're having a great time, nothing wrong with that, but we're trying to sleep. Years ago, it seemed WDW use to do a much better job policing its public areas late at night. However, after 3 straight "bad" experiences at Value Resorts with loud guests late at night, we'll never go back again.

Agreed, I will never stay at a Value again, due to the noise. I was looking at booking a quick trip out there next week and actually got rates at $65 a night for All Star Sports and still decided not to do it.

Upvote 0

ParentsOf4

Agreed, I will never stay at a Value again, due to the noise. I was looking at booking a quick trip out there next week and actually got rates at $65 a night for All Star Sports and still decided not to do it.
It appears you have had similar experiences as we did. As resorts, we like the Value Resorts just fine. I'm sure there are quiet corners in them. However, as I understand it, the Value Resorts have high guest-to-staff ratios making it difficult for the staff to keep things quiet at night. We like the Value Resorts, but we like our sleep even more.

Upvote 0

The original poster is travelling at Labor Day. School/sports groups shouldn't be an issue at that time.

Upvote 0

hiptwinmama

I second all of the posts about unchaperoned teens. You don't think it is a big deal to share a bus with 2 other resorts, but it really does seem to take forever to get anywhere. And not because of the distance, because of stopping 2 other stops. Last year we were at Kidani Village and we had to share a bus with AKL, it seemed sooooo much faster than the all stars.

I stayed in value resorts growing up for only 1 night, because we lived 90 minutes from WDW and we decided to stay in the parks late and grab a hotel. For one or two nights, they are fine.

However, during my first 8 day trip with my own family and my kids we stayed at a value resort. And all I can say is ....never again. The room was cramped, not very clean, the dresser was broken, and the bath was TINY. Maybe it is just me, but I think even the quick service at the moderate and deluxe resorts can be al little better.

That being said, my kids loved the All Star Movies, even though my husband and I hated it.

All of that being said, most of us have some kind of budget (large or small) and you have to do what works for you. You'll be miserable if you upgrade to a moderate or deluxe then have no spending money.

Upvote 0

fam

The constant bus stops is the only factor in me not choosing any of the all star resorts, even if youre the last resort to be picked up, then youre the last resort to be dropped, off...no way around it. Pop Century has its own bus system and so does art of animation.
Ive stayed at All star movies, pop century, beach club, wilderness lodge among others and honestly ive never had issue with rooms at the value resorts being much different than the super expensive ones. The rooms are all about the same size and the buses at pop century were just as well timed. Yes beach club and up have higher class guests but honestly ive heard the kids in the hallways at night just as much as the value resorts...but for people looking for a cheap place to stay at disney (when im paying) value resorts are still nice. When my inlaws pay for the super expensive trips...more power to them taking us to the higher resorts..but in all honesty the resort is where we go to sleep, eat breakfast, and sometimes the pool...and the value resorts are just as nice for those 3 things in my opinion.

Upvote 0

sgtmgd

We have gone in the past during Labor Day week and the kid population was near non existent so I am hoping it is that way this time as to not have pesky teenagers.

I understand the bus situation. Port Orleans bus route was always busy coming back from parks or early morning to get to parks.

Glad though to hear the Music resort was recenty updated! that seemed to be the biggest issue ppl had when i was researching it

Right after School starts so ther isnt alot of teenagers roaming about..

Upvote 0

Poofiesdream

I traveled with my 87 year old mother in Dec. We stayed there in the jazz building. Was just right. regular pricing, just far enough away from the main pool to be quieter, but pretty close to the food court and bus's. Bus's were never a problem either.

Upvote 0

katieclooney

Original Poster
We usually stay at POFQ but I cant justify this time spending an extra $100 a night to do so this time around. I plan on sleeping at the hotel, nothing more. As long as its clean I can sleep anywhere

Upvote 0

jlsHouston

Stayed at POP once and that is my only experience with a value. It was our first visit, we had a car and all we did was MK, character dining and sleep and shower in the room. POP worked really well for that. We never used the pool although we were right by it. It was never too noisy, we had a second floor room and we were on the side the laundry room was so that was the only other thing we did use onsite that was convenient. If the only way I could stay on property was to stay at a value, I would stay at POP again.. we had a good time and nothing negative to say about the property that affected our vacation.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom