Another Disney Parks "New Years Eve Announcement" 2012

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
Announcing some kind of a contest seems to make a lot of sense for the "big" announcement, as it should be able to give a choice between east coast and west coast parks.

Is TWDC smart enough to prepare for the coming "fiscal cliff" or will they just REact to any reductions in park attendance? Contests are nice, but real savings on trips, as mentioned previously on this thread, would be met with more interest...

A company the size of TWDC has most definitely planned for the worst in terms of the impending 'fiscal cliff'. Sorta related... but I had read that George Lucas sold Lucasfilm when he did because of potential tax hikes. By selling now he was getting more out of the deal.

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
^ and therein lies a problem. Put prices to where they should be and guests don't like it or can't manage it. Keep things artificially cheap and people expect it all the time.

And yet prices as they are warrant a premium product already. Were they to rise even more you'd expect things to be of a Tokyo standard.

Or of course stay off site and get more for less. Which will really mess with the NextGen math.

That is a problem that is also not exclusive to TWDC. Look around we all know many people who, when given an inch, take a foot. I think TWDC will fix this problem (for the most part) over the next few years. I believe Bob Iger has publicly addressed it a few times during interviews.

I have been reading the forums for quite a while, but have not made many comments so far. I have to be honest. I don't really understand all the hate and discontent I see here on a daily basis. Maybe I am missing something, but I was just in the World 2 weeks ago. I don't see the "rundown attractions? or "bad product" that everyone else does. Granted, we have only been going for 3 years now, but it amazes me how well-run and "magical" it is at Disney World. In a day and age where good customer service is a rarity, Disney is one place where 9 times out of 10 I am thrilled with the service I get. And I am rarely disappointed with the food.

I think that the people on here who are anti-free dining or discount are probably the ones who usually can't come during those times. Just sayin'.

Lisalyn

Wow! so much negativity and hate on here lately! :( I understand people get upset because Disney didn't do what they wanted them to but come on now - it's a happy place! You have to go there knowing not everything will be perfect (because let's face it..is anything or anyone?), that there may be a bad meal or a not so happy experience, that some other tourist may poop in your cornflakes and totally ruin that particular moment but come on people -SHAKE IT OFF! It's the happiest place in the World! It is what it is and Disney does what they can....it may not be what you FEEL it should be or what you WANT it to be but they make improvements here and there and aim for the masses not the negative few. If I had the kind of attitudes projected on this particular thread every time I went there (and this November 2013 will be my 6th year in a row) I'd never go back again! I shake it off! I'm in my happy place and not one person will ruin that for me - no matter what I think Disney "should have done" :) I totally understand constructive criticism for all things Disney but it's gotten a tad ridiculous don't you think? (preparing for the flogging! LOL)

lazyboy97o

It is what it is and Disney does what they can....it may not be what you FEEL it should be or what you WANT it to be but they make improvements here and there and aim for the masses not the negative few.
Disney does not "do what they can" and that is the problem. They do as little as possible so that people such as you're self buy into the notion that it's all they can do, when for decades they were able to do so much more. Walt Disney World did not become a vacation icon aiming for the lowest common denominator.

ParentsOf4

Wow! so much negativity and hate on here lately! :( I understand people get upset because Disney didn't do what they wanted them to but come on now - it's a happy place! You have to go there knowing not everything will be perfect (because let's face it..is anything or anyone?), that there may be a bad meal or a not so happy experience, that some other tourist may poop in your cornflakes and totally ruin that particular moment but come on people -SHAKE IT OFF! It's the happiest place in the World! It is what it is and Disney does what they can....it may not be what you FEEL it should be or what you WANT it to be but they make improvements here and there and aim for the masses not the negative few. If I had the kind of attitudes projected on this particular thread every time I went there (and this November 2013 will be my 6th year in a row) I'd never go back again! I shake it off! I'm in my happy place and not one person will ruin that for me - no matter what I think Disney "should have done" :) I totally understand constructive criticism for all things Disney but it's gotten a tad ridiculous don't you think? (preparing for the flogging! LOL)
Think of it this way. Your child is a straight A student with perfect attendance, as well as captain of the soccer team. Suddenly, your child is not getting straight A's any more. Being the good parent, you try to support and encourage your child. Instead of improving, your child's grades drop further and your child quits the soccer team. You try to be a more forceful parent and, rather than improving, you're child starts staying out late into the evening with only who knows. Your neighbors tell you, "Don't worry about it, it could be worse."

How would you feel?

Those of us who have been going to WDW for decades remember when WDW was the "perfect" child. Let's just say that WDW isn't so perfect anymore.

Lisalyn

Think of it this way. Your child is a straight A student with perfect attendance, as well as captain of the soccer team. Suddenly, your child is not getting straight A's any more. Being the good parent, you try to support and encourage your child. Instead of improving, your child's grades drop further and your child quits the soccer team. You try to be a more forceful parent and, rather than improving, you're child starts staying out late into the evening with only who knows. Your neighbors tell you, "Don't worry about it, it could be worse."

How would you feel?

Those of us who have been going to WDW for decades remember when WDW was the "perfect" child. Let's just say that WDW isn't so perfect anymore.

All i can say is I used to go in the 70's...I stopped because of joining the Army and such and moving around and started going back 6 years ago. So I have been going for quite some time and honestly we are all entitled to our opinions. I respect yours and understand how you feel. Disney in my eyes however will always be perfect to me! Can't help how I feel and no I'm not a child...I'm a 50 something saying this - the experience is what you make of it. I will always opt for the good over the bad. Maybe I'm just too positive!

John

I have been reading the forums for quite a while, but have not made many comments so far. I have to be honest. I don't really understand all the hate and discontent I see here on a daily basis. Maybe I am missing something, but I was just in the World 2 weeks ago. I don't see the "rundown attractions? or "bad product" that everyone else does. Granted, we have only been going for 3 years now, but it amazes me how well-run and "magical" it is at Disney World. In a day and age where good customer service is a rarity, Disney is one place where 9 times out of 10 I am thrilled with the service I get. And I am rarely disappointed with the food.

I think that the people on here who are anti-free dining or discount are probably the ones who usually can't come during those times. Just sayin'.

First, I am sorry to tell you....you have zero point of persepctive here. Just going in the last three years dosnt give you much of a reference to what Disney was. What you see here may well make you think that we are all being negative and somehow hate the parks. Nothing could be further from the truth. The members you see here are the worlds biggest Disney fans. Some have logged hundreds of trips, spent what amounts to a kings ransom.
No they live and breath this stuff. What Disney has become today ( last three years) is not what it once was. Disney set thier own standards, we are simply holding them to that standard. Dont mistake the comments here as nothing more then the members wanting Disney to be the best they can be.

Beholder

First, I am sorry to tell you....you have zero point of persepctive here. Just going in the last three years dosnt give you much of a reference to what Disney was. What you see here may well make you think that we are all being negative and somehow hate the parks. Nothing could be further
from the truth. The members you see here are the
worlds biggest Disney fans. Some have logged
hundreds of trips, spent what amounts to a kings
ransom.

No they live and breath this stuff. What Disney has become today ( last three years) is not what it
once was. Disney set thier own standards, we are
simply holding them to that standard. Dont
mistake the comments here as nothing more then
the members wanting Disney to be the best they
can be.

Well said. Ultimately, holding Disney to the standards that THEY created and held themselves to is what, I believe, the majority of us want. Nothing but tough love going on here. For the most part anyway.

awilliams4

Thanks for posting and pointing this out. I review these boards daily and have been for years. Over the past 24 months or so and VERY much so within the last 4-5 months, there is nothing but hate on these boards. It isn't all that far different from the old Fox News comments sections. It didn't matter what the subject was, there were always around 70% of the posts that just blamed everything on you know who.

Almost every News and Rumors thread is riddled with many little pokes, jabs, etc.

I for one am finding myself going to other boards now. MouseOwners for example is nothing like what you see here. You can have the same topic being discussed on both boards and you would think it was two totally different topics being discussed.

Mods and/or Owners of WDWMagic. I love this board but if the negativity continues like it is, don't be suprised if some long time visitors get turned off enough to where they don't visit as much.

awilliams4

How would you feel?

True but you hang out here enough to know what this poster is talking about. There is some thoughtful constructive criticism out there but that is the exception. You just scroll through jab after complaint then a dig then some talking down to and it goes on and on. For every worthwhile post pointing out things that may have been done differently, there are 10 more digs that are baseless.

It is like a right wing board bashing every topic as if it was a left wing problem or vice versa. It is no longer a Disney Board. It is one big session.

awilliams4

First, I am sorry to tell you....you have zero point of persepctive here. Just going in the last three years dosnt give you much of a reference to what Disney was. What you see here may well make you think that we are all being negative and somehow hate the parks. Nothing could be further from the truth. The members you see here are the worlds biggest Disney fans. Some have logged hundreds of trips, spent what amounts to a kings ransom.
No they live and breath this stuff. What Disney has become today ( last three years) is not what it once was. Disney set thier own standards, we are simply holding them to that standard. Dont mistake the comments here as nothing more then the members wanting Disney to be the best they can be.

Biggest fans? How many times a day would the 50 or so that bash Disney on a daily basis here have to continue to dog it before you changed teams?

If my team makes a bad play, trades a great player or does something stupid everyday for 3 or 4 years in a row, I probably wouldn't follow that team anymore, or that sport.

Look at the threads, look at the posts, hundreds and hundreds of cheap shots. Cheap shot after cheap shot after cheap shot.

If Disney was a person, half the people here would have warrants for bullying.

I am talking specifically about this....most of the negative posts around here are little stupid digs and those posts probably now represent a good 30% if not more of ALL posts in the News and Rumors threads.

awilliams4

How would you feel?

Personally, I look at it this way. Would I have more fun taking a trip to Disney World today with all that is offered or a trip back in say 1980. Besides WOM and Horizons and maybe a few things I am not thinking about that I would love to try, there is no comparison. None. WDW today blows away WDW of 1980.

And there are tons of things now that aren't as smooth because there are just a ton of more things.

ParentsOf4

True but you hang out here enough to know what this poster is talking about. There is some thoughtful constructive criticism out there but that is the exception. You just scroll through jab after complaint then a dig then some talking down to and it goes on and on. For every worthwhile post pointing out things that may have been done differently, there are 10 more digs that baseless.

It is like a right wing board bashing every topic as if it was a left wing problem or vice versa. It is no longer a Disney Board. It is one big session.
I agree that the tone turns negative much too quickly. Some people have positive things to write about WDW and some people disagree. Others have negative things to write about WDW and others disagree. Rather than debate the point, the attacks turn personal. "You're stupid for thinking differently than me." As you allude to, it's similar to much of today's political climate in the United States. Each side is so convinced that they are absolutely right and the other side is absolutely wrong that they'd rather shout down the other side rather than listen and, in turn, present a coherent response.

One thing I am absolutely certain of is TWDC is run by a group of highly intelligent business people who understand their market and take full advantage of it. It's their job to do so. It's up to us to be intelligent consumers and call them on this, to demand to be treated with respect, not as a statistic to be manipulated. Otherwise, we give them the advantage and get what we deserve in return. Right now, the people running WDW have the advantage and are using it. Let's not help them even more.

MerlinTheGoat

I first started visiting WDW in about '90 or '91 (forgot exactly). Continued to visit for dozens of times up until '97. Stopped visiting for over a decade and returned in 2010. I've said it before but it was a very nasty shock seeing what they had been doing to the place in that past 13 years. Has gotten even worse since then...

I've not renewed my AP since it expired in February and I'm doubtful to go back again until they've begun cleaning up their act. Lee's recent comments about new management arriving in the next few months as well as next gen being deemed a failure by many within the company (not to mention the success of Carsland as well as Universal's projects) has given some hope that perhaps WDW will someday regain some of its former glory.

If not i'll simply move on to other parks that better deserve money spent at them. I'm going to try out Universal and Sea World soon, and I hope to even take a trip out west to Disneyland as soon as I can (i've heard they still uphold the standards Disney once set for themselves, we'll see whether this is true).

ParentsOf4

Personally, I look at it this way. Would I have more fun taking a trip to Disney World today with all that is offered or a trip back in say 1980. Besides WOM and Horizons and maybe a few things I am not thinking about that I would love to try, there is no comparison. None. WDW today blows away WDW of 1980.

And there are tons of things now that aren't as smooth because there are just a ton of more things.
IMHO, WDW had a "sweet spot" running from 1982 to 1998, when prices were still reasonable, quality was maintained, and new experiences were added regularly. I call this WDW's Golden Age.

WDW is past its Golden Age.

KCheatle

Last year's annoucment was a "dud" because we all knew it was coming. It was a cool idea and a lot of people had a lot of fun with it. However, it wasn't exciting for anyone who reads this blog because someone had spoiled it like a month in advance. Chances are, tonight's annoucmenet will also fail to be exciting to anyone on this forum because we've already spoiled for ourselves every potential annoucement Disney could make. However, for the 99% of the population who does not read this or other Disney forums, they may think it is a big/cool/exciting announcment. My point is: don't complain if you aren't surprised because you heard it hear a month ago. You spoiled it for yourself and you can't blame Disney for that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom