DVC Dues increses for 2013

copcarguyp71

So the increase is expected to be rescinded in future years once the initial cost is paid for?

This is kind of the problem for me in that they are fairly non-specific when they are trying to sell you on the idea but you folks who are in it already seem to be better versed than the sales team...or at least more forthcoming.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Original Poster
So the increase is expected to be rescinded in future years once the initial cost is paid for?

This is kind of the problem for me in that they are fairly non-specific when they are trying to sell you on the idea but you folks who are in it already seem to be better versed than the sales team...or at least more forthcoming.

To keep things in perspective the increase at BLT for Housekeeping was $0.20 per point so if you own 160 points it's a $32 increase on your dues. Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but as a % increase housekeeping went up 30% over last year. That is why people (or at least me) were seeking an explanation. I do not expect housekeeping to drop $0.20 per point next year, but we should also not expect another 30% increase. The portion of the increase related to bedding should not be a repeat increase anyway. Employee costs will always go up.

As far as the sales people go, they don't want you to think about the fees going up. They will not hide it (or at least they shouldn't if you ask about it) but they are not going to highlight it either in their sales pitch. They will usually just talk about the fee increase being on par or less than resort cash rate increases. Which for 2013 is true depending on which DVC you own and what cash rate you compare to. That's why places like this are great to get some perspective on the pros and cons.

Phonedave

Exactly...and I know you seem to be better versed than even DVC reps! Thanks Goof!

In addition to what has been mentioned about the fact that Dues cover actual expenses only, DVC has an interest in keeping dues under controll (managing the resort well). When they can point to a resort that has been running well, is still in good shape, and has guests satisfied with the amenities, and shows only at 2% or so y/y increas in dues, it helps their sales of future properties.

As for triple sheets replacing spreads, I am not sure what this means, but many hotels/resorts have moved away from the comforter, duvet, or beadspread route. Guest surverys show that many take such an item off the bed and throw it on the floor because they do not feel it is clean (very often they are not cleaned after every guest). DVC does wash their duvets after each guest, because this is what guests want. However, washing a duvet is costly (it is heavy, soaks up a lot of water, and takes forever to dry). My syspicion is that this three sheet thing bot simplifies the bed making process (storage of sheets on linen carts) and makes laundry easier and cheaper. I would hope that the increase in costs to purchase these linens is offset in the future by lower ongoing housekeeping costs.

-dave

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Original Poster
In addition to what has been mentioned about the fact that Dues cover actual expenses only, DVC has an interest in keeping dues under controll (managing the resort well). When they can point to a resort that has been running well, is still in good shape, and has guests satisfied with the amenities, and shows only at 2% or so y/y increas in dues, it helps their sales of future properties.

As for triple sheets replacing spreads, I am not sure what this means, but many hotels/resorts have moved away from the comforter, duvet, or beadspread route. Guest surverys show that many take such an item off the bed and throw it on the floor because they do not feel it is clean (very often they are not cleaned after every guest). DVC does wash their duvets after each guest, because this is what guests want. However, washing a duvet is costly (it is heavy, soaks up a lot of water, and takes forever to dry). My syspicion is that this three sheet thing bot simplifies the bed making process (storage of sheets on linen carts) and makes laundry easier and cheaper. I would hope that the increase in costs to purchase these linens is offset in the future by lower ongoing housekeeping costs.

-dave

I always throw the bedspread on the floor:). Especially at WDW since its usually hot there.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Original Poster
I always put the top bedspread to the side, as well. I heard they aren't washed very often soooo.....ew. (Not sure if that is true)

Phonedave says they do wash them, but you can't trust everything you hear on the Internet;)

I saw one of those news stories once where they go into a hotel room with a blacklight. I am really sorry I watched it. The bedspread isn't the worst offender though. The TV remote has it beat by a mile...

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
Phonedave says they do wash them, but you can't trust everything you hear on the Internet;)

I saw one of those news stories once where they go into a hotel room with a blacklight. I am really sorry I watched it. The bedspread isn't the worst offender though. The TV remote has it beat by a mile...

And light switches! Always travel with Lysol wipes!

dreamfinder

Alot of hotels are switching to the triple sheets. Basically they end up sandwiching a feather duvet (or something similar) in between two flat sheets. This is most definitely to alleviate hotel guests concerns with the duvets being unclean or having bugs since the sheets are more likely to be washed. (I've also noticed places dropping fitted sheets altogether, and just using a flat sheet there as well, but that is most likely cost saving as they only need to stock/clean/distribute one style sheet instead of 2)

I don't know if it will have much offset down the road. Any idea how often the linens need to be replaced? If a sheet normally lasted 1 year, but a duvet lasted 5, you now need to have 10 flat sheets cost less than a duvet or higher costs will continue. No idea what their linen costs are, but I routinely see good quality flat sheets for $40+ while duvets are $200ish. You can also get cheap flat sheets for $5, so its probably in the middle.

Phonedave

Well.....

I know that most hotels do NOT wash them after every guest (or at least in the past did not). I made such a comment on these very boards about a year or two ago. I said that I doubted that DVC washed the comforter after each guest. I never saw them doing so, and it would be a large expense. Somone copied a reply that they receive from an email to Disney that stated, yes they do wash them after each guest.

Of course THAT response was on the internet as well :) so take it for what it's worth.

And while remotes are now the dirtiest thing in the room, back before everyone had cell phones, the phone in the rooms were just loaded with crud.

-dave

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Original Poster
ehhhh - one thing about that "Black Light" :). If you want some fun, get one, then spill innocent things onto an old, CLEAN sheet. Anything with organic content (like some herbal shampoos). Then turn on the light :). You'll notice that UV light tends to show off ANYTHING with a good deal of organic content...it's pretty broadband, and does NOT just react to what we would think of as "bodily" fluids :). I'm an Analytical Chemist (retired of course) - and a Spectroscopist. The Black Light trick makes great TV shows... but it's not very specific :).

Good, that makes me feel a little better. Guess you can't trust what you see on TV either.:) I will probably still strip the bedspreads off in hotel rooms though.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Original Poster
Well.....

I know that most hotels do NOT wash them after every guest (or at least in the past did not). I made such a comment on these very boards about a year or two ago. I said that I doubted that DVC washed the comforter after each guest. I never saw them doing so, and it would be a large expense. Somone copied a reply that they receive from an email to Disney that stated, yes they do wash them after each guest.

Of course THAT response was on the internet as well :) so take it for what it's worth.

And while remotes are now the dirtiest thing in the room, back before everyone had cell phones, the phone in the rooms were just loaded with crud.

-dave

I did hear that the average office phone has more germs than the toilet seats so I believe it.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
As far as mousekeeping dues going up at BLT, that may be a question of who is staying there. Since it is a "dual resort", DVC and CRO, they share the cost of mousekeeping, just like BC, BW, etc. The resort has people that stay with cash, and DVC people staying on points. The percentage mix is what determines which side pays more for the room upkeep. If more guests stay on points, the dues for DVC are more. More cash guests and the CRO side picks up more of the cost. This is determined once a year, and an adjustment of dues is made to cover it.

Since SSR (and OKW) are completely owned by DVC, there is no mix, and DVC is charged the entire cost, regardless of whether a person uses cash or points.

This is how it was explained to me at one time, so I cannot be 100% sure that the information is accurate.

Kevin

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Original Poster
As far as mousekeeping dues going up at BLT, that may be a question of who is staying there. Since it is a "dual resort", DVC and CRO, they share the cost of mousekeeping, just like BC, BW, etc. The resort has people that stay with cash, and DVC people staying on points. The percentage mix is what determines which side pays more for the room upkeep. If more guests stay on points, the dues for DVC are more. More cash guests and the CRO side picks up more of the cost. This is determined once a year, and an adjustment of dues is made to cover it.

Since SSR (and OKW) are completely owned by DVC, there is no mix, and DVC is charged the entire cost, regardless of whether a person uses cash or points.

This is how it was explained to me at one time, so I cannot be 100% sure that the information is accurate.

Kevin

I think there is some truth to this. However, at OKW and SSR if someone stays for cash a portion of the cash they pay should be applied to costs such as housekeeping. For example if 5% of OKW guests pay cash and 95% use DVC points then 95% of the annual housekeeping budget should be coved by DVC dues. The remaining 5% of the budget should come out of the cash guest revenue. I do think there are probably more cash guests at BLT than OKW or SSR just due to popularity and location so that could factor in too.

MaxsDad

ehhhh - one thing about that "Black Light" :). If you want some fun, get one, then spill innocent things onto an old, CLEAN sheet. Anything with organic content (like some herbal shampoos). Then turn on the light :). You'll notice that UV light tends to show off ANYTHING with a good deal of organic content...it's pretty broadband, and does NOT just react to what we would think of as "bodily" fluids :). I'm an Analytical Chemist (retired of course) - and a Spectroscopist. The Black Light trick makes great TV shows... but it's not very specific :).

I took a food safety class once. As a demonstration, they had a volunteer coat their hands with an unnamed white powder, then wash their hands at least twice. Afterwards, they held their hands under a "blacklight", and the light shows areas that where still "dirty". My only concern with the validity of this demo was: Does the powder have the same proprties as bacteria/virus? I mean, if i coat my hands in crazy glue, then wash them, I am going to get a different result than if i coat them in water then wash them.

Phonedave

I think there is some truth to this. However, at OKW and SSR if someone stays for cash a portion of the cash they pay should be applied to costs such as housekeeping. For example if 5% of OKW guests pay cash and 95% use DVC points then 95% of the annual housekeeping budget should be coved by DVC dues. The remaining 5% of the budget should come out of the cash guest revenue. I do think there are probably more cash guests at BLT than OKW or SSR just due to popularity and location so that could factor in too.

Cash rentals are listed on on the financial report as "breakage" income - this flows back to reduce the OpEx portion of the dues. It does not come out of housekeeping, or painting, or guest activities per se, but is a line item reduction in the OpEx portion of the dues.

-dave

Phonedave

Kevin

Cash guests in a DVC unit pay cash to DVC, not to CRO. I believe in shared resorts that CRO does provide the housekeeping services. Charges are bill based on how often a room is cleaned, and at what level (full vs. trash and towels). If a guest is staying on cash, the daily cash rate is more than enough to cover the bill back from CRO housekeeping.

-dave

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Original Poster
Cash rentals are listed on on the financial report as "breakage" income - this flows back to reduce the OpEx portion of the dues. It does not come out of housekeeping, or painting, or guest activities per se, but is a line item reduction in the OpEx portion of the dues.

-dave

That makes sense. I knew it had to flow back in somehow. I thought breakage income was just money charged for room damage which seemed like a lot of money to me since I have never been charged for anything, but I thought maybe other people were just really destructive;).

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Cash guests in a DVC unit pay cash to DVC, not to CRO. I believe in shared resorts that CRO does provide the housekeeping services. Charges are bill based on how often a room is cleaned, and at what level (full vs. trash and towels). If a guest is staying on cash, the daily cash rate is more than enough to cover the bill back from CRO housekeeping.

-dave

Thanks for the clarification!

Kevin

Phonedave

That makes sense. I knew it had to flow back in somehow. I thought breakage income was just money charged for room damage which seemed like a lot of money to me since I have never been charged for anything, but I thought maybe other people were just really destructive;).

Breakage is one of those weird words. It can mean, of course, broken things. But it also means money received for cash rentals of unused timeshare units. It also can mean the penalty you can get for paying off a loan early. It is also used to mean money that stores make by selling gift cards that are then never used.

I have no idea why it means so many things or how the terms came about. The first time I saw it on my time share report I though that it meant charges for broken things as well. My reaction was the same "wow, a lot of people must be trashing the place"

-dave

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom