'Be Our Guest Restaurant' testing new advance online ordering for lunch

WDW1974

They really want to separate their guests into various stratas, don't they?

I've heard good things about BoG, but I'm not willing to stay at a WDW resort just for a chance to dine there. I also don't intend to head for a lunch queue at park opening.

It really sounds like they want to make everything a chore all in a very mistaken belief they are improving guest service.

It will go perfectly with all the artificial lines created by FP+.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
They really want to separate their guests into various stratas, don't they?

I've heard good things about BoG, but I'm not willing to stay at a WDW resort just for a chance to dine there. I also don't intend to head for a lunch queue at park opening.

It really sounds like they want to make everything a chore all in a very mistaken belief they are improving guest service.

It will go perfectly with all the artificial lines created by FP+.
I believe the plan is ultimately to make this available to everyone after this test. There is a big problem there right now with demand. People are basically lining up at 9am, with lunch starting at 11am. The line is extending across the bridge and into the walkway. Guests are pretty much looking at an hour wait much of the time. Now this system is obviously not going to add capacity, but it could certainly help with efficiency of getting people in and out. Will be interesting to see how it pans out. It really seems like they need to consider adding a breakfast option here to soak up the amount of guests wanting to eat here.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
This is what it looks like everyday before opening
A84cFO9CAAEbaV2.jpg:large

UPbeekeeper

Lining up for lunch at park opening? I'm sorry but there is nothing fantastic enough to ever even make me think about doing something like that. I thought the whole idea of going to amusement parks was to enjoy attractions, not eat. To me, food is just something you stop for to give you energy and to recharge so you can continue on enjoying attractions. When did it become a main event with rides and attractions being an afterthought? To each his own, I suppose...

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Lining up for lunch at park opening? I'm sorry but there is nothing fantastic enough to ever even make me think about doing something like that. I thought the whole idea of going to amusement parks was to enjoy attractions, not eat. To me, food is just something you stop for to give you energy and to recharge so you can continue on enjoying attractions. When did it become a main event with rides and attractions being an afterthought? To each his own, I suppose...
Food is a BIG deal for a lot of guests, and is as much a part of the park experience as the rides, for some even more so. Disney are creating some amazing dining experience, some of which are eclipsing some of the attraction offerings.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
What's next? Bathroom+?

A lot of guests can't decide what they want when they are standing at the register. Now we're supposed to pre-book our burgers and frites. Unbelievable.
This seems to be exactly what they are looking to change. The people who are standing at the kiosk for 15 minutes working out what they want is killing the throughput of guests. By moving this ahead of their arrival it will help. Those doing the test can make changes at anytime online, and even make changes once they arrive at the restaurant. It is really a win win situation.

SirLink

I believe the plan is ultimately to make this available to everyone after this test. There is a big problem there right now with demand. People are basically lining up at 9am, with lunch starting at 11am. The line is extending across the bridge and into the walkway. Guests are pretty much looking at an hour wait much of the time. Now this system is obviously not going to add capacity, but it could certainly help with efficiency of getting people in and out. Will be interesting to see how it pans out. It really seems like they need to consider adding a breakfast option here to soak up the amount of guests wanting to eat here.

Why not test it then somewhere which does not get heavy foot track already?

WDW1974

I know. I've seen pics and heard from friends. I'll be at WDW later this month, and I'd like to try BoG, but I am 99% sure that I won't. I won't be there at opening and I don't want to walk up at 12:45 and be told, we've reached our capacity for lunch or you can wait for 90 minutes and we'll let you in. I've dined at some of the best restaurants in the country and not waited. I'm not doing it for BoG.

But this is what I fear (as do many in OPs) with the entire FP+ program. There will be lines for everything in the near future and the largest will be at Guest Relations (they'll likely need to station security there just to deal with the guests who try and strangle the CMs when they say 'we understand your issues and feel bad that everything wasn't MAGICal for you, but there's nothing we can do') ... oh yeah, this is going to be uglier than Honey Boo Boo's momma.

SirLink

I know. I've seen pics and heard from friends. I'll be at WDW later this month, and I'd like to try BoG, but I am 99% sure that I won't. I won't be there at opening and I don't want to walk up at 12:45 and be told, we've reached our capacity for lunch or you can wait for 90 minutes and we'll let you in. I've dined at some of the best restaurants in the country and not waited. I'm not doing it for BoG.

But this is what I fear (as do many in OPs) with the entire FP+ program. There will be lines for everything in the near future and the largest will be at Guest Relations (they'll likely need to station security there just to deal with the guests who try and strangle the CMs when they say 'we understand your issues and feel bad that everything wasn't MAGICal for you, but there's nothing we can do') ... oh yeah, this is going to be uglier than Honey Boo Boo's momma.

Wasn't this a similar situation when they rolled out Fastpass and there was fisticuffs at Jungle Cruise I pray something like that happens again...

WDW1974

This seems to be exactly what they are looking to change. The people who are standing at the kiosk for 15 minutes working out what they want is killing the throughput of guests. By moving this ahead of their arrival it will help. Those doing the test can make changes at anytime online, and even make changes once they arrive at the restaurant. It is really a win win situation.

Ah, Steve, but isn't the larger issue the kiosks themselves?

I watch it at Pecos Bill's and Captain Cook's ... many folks don't have a clue how to operate the things. It's not so much they don't know whether they want the burger or the chicken salad.

I remember when they first tried those out at DCA's Taste Pilot's Grill almost a decade ago and got rid of them quickly as they just slowed down everything. People are used to placing orders by talking to another human being.But think of the labor savings if they can get this system in use everywhere.

Many companies have tried this from supermarkets to the Home Depot with very mixed results.

lazyboy97o

I too have a hard time believing this is not built on others operational issues symptomatic of Disney's methods. Even when I had to get a time card to enter the Wizarding World of Harry Potter it was more than possible to go eat at the Three Broomsticks without a ridiculous wait.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Ah, Steve, but isn't the larger issue the kiosks themselves?

I watch it at Pecos Bill's and Captain Cook's ... many folks don't have a clue how to operate the things. It's not so much they don't know whether they want the burger or the chicken salad.

I remember when they first tried those out at DCA's Taste Pilot's Grill almost a decade ago and got rid of them quickly as they just slowed down everything. People are used to placing orders by talking to another human being.But think of the labor savings if they can get this system in use everywhere.

Many companies have tried this from supermarkets to the Home Depot with very mixed results.
It is hard to say. The BoG kiosks are miles ahead of anything else that has come before it. They offer so much information that guests are traditionally asking the cast members about (allergy, nutrition, options). Hard to say if replacing with a human would change that. Factor in language issues etc and the kiosks look attractive.

Regardless of the ordering process, from what I can see, the actual dining room is running at 100% during all of this, so the orders are certainly getting through. Without adding more physical capacity (which is not going to happen), I cant really see a way out of this. BUT is is clear that we are approaching some kind of reservation system for lunch at this location.

SirLink

If they can change it at any point - then what is the benefit to the kitchen - assuming this is the only Lunch counter service that cooks to order food? I still don't see how it will benefit the day guest...

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
If they can change it at any point - then what is the benefit to the kitchen - assuming this is the only Lunch counter service that cooks to order food? I still don't see how it will benefit the day guest...
I dont think it really is aimed at benefiting the kitchen. I believe it is aimed at moving guests out from the line outside, and reducing guests at the kiosks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom