Tables In Wonderland

Goofnut1980

Original Poster
I have a general question. I have always been a DDP customer and always purchased the dining plan. But we are not big dessert people. so I figured out the cost of food, cost for Tables in Wonderland, tips and no dessert, I am coming up with a smaller figure than if i used DDP...

Has anyone else noticed the same situation??

Rob562

If the DDP fits your dining style exactly (dessert with every meal, no alcohol, no appetizers) then it's easy to at least break-even with it, and even save money if you work at it.

But quite often, as you've discovered, the TiW discounts are better when you start to eat in a style that doesn't fit the DDP mold. It offers more flexibility. And if you have a larger group, you can easily cover the cost of the TiW card with one or two meals.

If you spend $500 in food and alcohol, you reach the break-even point. And if you have an Annual Pass and can get the cheaper TiW price, your break-even point drops to $375. A group of 6 could easily come close to hitting that point with one meal at a Signature restaurant.

The only time I've ever found that the DDP is a good deal is if it's free at a Value or Moderate resort as part of the Free Dining promos. (But as this thread is on the DVC forum, that's not an option)

-Rob

Goofnut1980

Original Poster
If the DDP fits your dining style exactly (dessert with every meal, no alcohol, no appetizers) then it's easy to at least break-even with it, and even save money if you work at it.

But quite often, as you've discovered, the TiW discounts are better when you start to eat in a style that doesn't fit the DDP mold. It offers more flexibility. And if you have a larger group, you can easily cover the cost of the TiW card with one or two meals.

If you spend $500 in food and alcohol, you reach the break-even point. And if you have an Annual Pass and can get the cheaper TiW price, your break-even point drops to $375. A group of 6 could easily come close to hitting that point with one meal at a Signature restaurant.

The only time I've ever found that the DDP is a good deal is if it's free at a Value or Moderate resort as part of the Free Dining promos. (But as this thread is on the DVC forum, that's not an option)

-Rob

That is exactly what I was looking for. We do more table services than anything and have APs so that works out perfect. Thanks!!

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Yes, if you're paying for DDP, it's a fair bit of work to save money and then only if you use all the credits and order the most expensive entrées on the menu. TiW is guaranteed savings after you pass the $500 or $375 spending threshold Rob mentions.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Definitely a better deal for most people than DDP. If you are drinking alcohol at all the savings can add up fast. You also have the flexibility to order what you want. If you arent super hungry and feel like just a salad instead of the steak (or in my case a cheeseburger - no salads on vacation) you don't feel like you are losing value. On DDP you break even or save some money only when you order mostly high priced entrees and desert each dinner. I love deserts, but having it with lunch and dinner every day is a bit overkill in my opinion. They should really let you swap out desert for an app or a beer/wine at dinner as long as its of equal or lesser value.

dreamfinder

Best value is if you are staying at SSR. Artist's Palette is included in TiW, so any CS you grab there you get the discount on.

Many times however, TiW will end up being a much better deal that DDP. DDP I think may save $3-5 a day if you maximize to the fullest. But if you don't normally eat snacks from the carts, or desserts with your meals, then you end up either eating food you don't want, or spending extra money you don't need to spend. Last trip our first meal was at V&As, which recouped 2/3rd of the cost in one meal. Adding on the fact we will be doing a second trip prior to the TiW card expiring, it's a no brainer.

wiigirl

That is exactly what I was looking for. We do more table services than anything and have APs so that works out perfect. Thanks!!

Same with us...
75.gif

Disneykidder

We are excited to try TIW for the first time this summer. We will be first time PAP holders, too. We plan on using it twice within the year and I think we will come out with a bigger savings than the DDP. We always get the DDP but are switching it up a bit. Sometimes I feel like we are almost forced to use up all of the credits so we don't lose out. I think using TIW will allow us more flexibility. We will still make our ADRs, but with more wiggle room. We shall see how it goes. ;)

Goofnut1980

Original Poster
We are excited to try TIW for the first time this summer. We will be first time PAP holders, too. We plan on using it twice within the year and I think we will come out with a bigger savings than the DDP. We always get the DDP but are switching it up a bit. Sometimes I feel like we are almost forced to use up all of the credits so we don't lose out. I think using TIW will allow us more flexibility. We will still make our ADRs, but with more wiggle room. We shall see how it goes. ;)

That is my thoughts! I have 4 trips planned. December, May, October and December.. all within 365 days. So the TiW, I don't have to worry about trying to pay for the DDP or if the price increases.

Do you remember when they discriminated against DDP. You could call and ask for reservations, they would say we are full for guests with DDP. This was only a few years ago... But, if you were paying cash... Why yes, we have a 5:30pm available. I am glad they don't do that any longer.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I have to agree that you are going to love the TiW. We have been using it for years (even back when it was the Disney Dining Experience), and it has saved us a ton. It is so much more flexible that the DDP. We do more TS, and enjoy an adult beverage with our meals. DDP simply doesn't work for that. And what if you decide that you only want a salad for a meal? Discount with TiW, and loss of money on DDP. Anyway, unless you eat the most expensive item at every TS restaurant, and stay away from the buffets altogether, you will still hardly save anything with the DDP.

The main reason people seem to give for using it is the "convenience" of pre-paying for your meals. I never find it convenient to lose money! If people wish to pre-pay, put the money on a Disney Gift Card, and use that to pay for your meals. Some people might be surprised how much would be left on the card!

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
ok I don't realy get it ... Can you please explain how it works exactly
Tables in Wonderland is a dining discount card available to DVC Members, Florida Residents and Anuual Passholders. [It costs different amounts depending on which you are]

It provides a 20% discount of all food and drinks [including alcohol] at most table service restaurants and bars in WDW. They add an automatic gratuity of 18%. The card discount can be applied to up to ten people on the same bill.

dreamfinder

Tables in Wonderland is a dining discount card available to DVC Members, Florida Residents and Anuual Passholders. [It costs different amounts depending on which you are]

It provides a 20% discount of all food and drinks [including alcohol] at most table service restaurants and bars in WDW. They add an automatic gratuity of 18%. The card discount can be applied to up to ten people on the same bill.

Also at some CS locations as well. It can really work in your favor, especially if the DDP doesn't fit your dining habits.

ctosh

what CS locations? We are looking at 2 weeks next summer.. We do the DDP but I'm all for saving some $ if it will be taken at the places we like/want to eat at.

Jim ex-emporium

Excuse me for wondering but, since an automatic tip is included, has anyone experienced a lack of outstanding service that an 18% Tip would imply? Also, a tip for CS seems counter intuitive, n'est pas?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom