Disney Gift Card - Where can't it be used at WDW?

sittinpretty

I'm due to go to WDW next week for 16 days and was intending to load a Disney Gift card and use that instead of carrying around cash.

I read in another topic that the gift card is not valid in stores in Japan and Morocco at the World Showcase because they aren't Disney operated, this really surprised me, where else on property can't you use the card and is it obvious?

For instance, I know that the Yak and Yeti restaurant isn't operated by Disney, can you use the card there? If it can be, why can't it be used at non Disney operated store in a park? To me the policy doesn't seem very consistent or logical.

If anyone knows of a list of places that the card can/can't be used at it would really be helpful and save me from possible embarrassment! Thanks.

sittinpretty

Original Poster
I use gift cards all the time and haven't had any problems including the store in Japan. One store had a problem with swiping the card but after I wiped it off with a hankie it was fine.

That's interesting and good to know, I wonder why in this thread http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/dr-who-coming-to-epcot-and-other-news.847963/ (third post down) the poster advised gift cards couldn't be used in Morocco or Japan? I didn't want to ask the question in the thread as it would have been OT.

Upvote 0

wiigirl

I have never had an issue, never found anywhere that wouldn't take it.
75.gif

Upvote 0

ratherbeinwdw

I'm due to go to WDW next week for 16 days and was intending to load a Disney Gift card and use that instead of carrying around cash.

I read in another topic that the gift card is not valid in stores in Japan and Morocco at the World Showcase because they aren't Disney operated, this really surprised me, where else on property can't you use the card and is it obvious?

For instance, I know that the Yak and Yeti restaurant isn't operated by Disney, can you use the card there? If it can be, why can't it be used at non Disney operated store in a park? To me the policy doesn't seem very consistent or logical.

If anyone knows of a list of places that the card can/can't be used at it would really be helpful and save me from possible embarrassment! Thanks.
I had the same question, but could only find a partial answer. If you go to the Disney Gift Card Home Page and click on the Terms instead of FAQ, it does give somewhat of a list.

Upvote 0

maryszhi

i have never had problems. i would get disney gift cards as gifts and would use them for souvenirs. another tip is write each gift card number down along with the 800 number is case you lose your card.

Upvote 0

RonAnnArbor

The Disney Gift card is good at all Disney establishments anywhere in Walt Disney World -- where it is NOT good is any establishment in Downtown Disney that is NOT Disney-owned except for the restaurants that participate on the Disney Dining Plan -- for example, you can't use it at the "Magnet Store" or "Earl of Sandwich", but you can use it in the World of Disney or Raglan Road/T-Rex/Rainforest Cafe, etc...Inside the parks it is accepted everywhere that accepts credit cards (which is practically everywhere now, even the pushcarts)...

Upvote 0

CrazyDisneyLady

I use Disney gift cards all the time. The only place I have not been able to use them was at some of the snack carts. Do remember to write down your gc# I case you lose it. If you have the number they will replace the card and cancel the lost one

Upvote 0

MissM

That's interesting and good to know, I wonder why in this thread http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/dr-who-coming-to-epcot-and-other-news.847963/ (third post down) the poster advised gift cards couldn't be used in Morocco or Japan? I didn't want to ask the question in the thread as it would have been OT.
That was me. Few years ago when they did the "free birthday admission" promo, if you already had a ticket (like being an AP), you could get a gift card in the value of a day's admission instead. They were not valid in non-Disney owned locations such as Japan and Morocco. I haven't used other gift cards since but the fine print does state "select locations"

The Disney Gift Card can be used at select participating locations at Walt Disney World® Resort, Disney® Cruise Line, Disney Store locations in the U.S. and Disneyshopping.com. It is not redeemable for cash, will not be replaced if lost or stolen without required proof of purchase and is subject to the terms and conditions of the Disney Gift Card Program. The Disney Gift Card is issued by Disney Gift Card Services, Inc. Gift cards may not be used towards the purchase of any Disney Dollars or Disney Gift Cards. Other restrictions may apply. Use of gift card is acceptance of its terms and conditions. Visit DisneyGiftCard.com for more information about the Disney Gift Card program.

I know that AP discounts are NOT valid in non-Disney owned stores/shops/restaurants. (Again, including Japan.)

Upvote 0

Buzz2001

My last trip I went to the Disney Store and turn all my funds into Disney gift cards and paid for everything with them. I paid the room, restaurants, clothes and souvenirs, even the stores at DtD that aren't Disney took the gift card. And the cards are refillable.

Upvote 0

Rob562

In regards to to locations that don't take a Disney Gift Card, most of them *do* take a WDW hotel Room Charge. So what you can do is set up a room charge account and then use the gift card to pay down the balance on that. That's what we usually do.

You just have to make sure to visit the front desk sometime *before* your check-out morning, otherwise all of your charges will dump to your credit card on file. (I've also read that you can open a room charge account using a Disney Gift Card, but I have no first-hand knowledge of doing so)

-Rob

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom