Disney World Ponchos

disney1077

I love riding Kali River Rapids but I am not crazy about getting drenched (which seems to happen every time I ride) so I was thinking of just wearing a poncho the next time I ride it. So I was wondering how good are the ponchos they sell in Disney World? Do you know how much they cost? Or should I just bring one from home? Thank! :)

rsoxguy

I have purchased several Disney ponchos over the years, and I have also used a more industrial strength poncho that I purchased at a large, Non-Disney store long ago. In all honesty, the disposable ponchos sold at Walmart for 88¢ are the best deal for a day at the parks and rides such as Kali.

Upvote 0

bubbles1812

I guess I will just bring it from home. I don't want to spend $6 on a poncho and then it will rip easily.
Hehe. We actually have some Disney ponchos still buried at home from our very first trip back in 95'...though that realize doesn't speak for their quality as we only used them the once. As others have advised...Target! (Walmart sucks ;) ) I've always wondered how much Disney makes off the ponchos from ill prepared people considering how expensive they are as far as ponchos go. I am guessing quite a lot..

Upvote 0

real mad hatter

We got three Disney ponchos in 2008 with he Disney parliament logo on them in light blue and still have,great.If I remember right if you spent so much in a shop you got them for nothing.

Upvote 0

dreamfinder

I guess I will just bring it from home. I don't want to spend $6 on a poncho and then it will rip easily.
The WDW poncho's are actually pretty thick. And typically if they do tear, they replace them no questions asked. If you have your receipt, they will definitely do it during the same trip, and we have even had luck replacing them years after (even with different logos).

Upvote 0

LuLaSue

I pack a few of the rain panchos from the 99 cent store. They are thin but I can slip a few right into my purse and they are not heavy or cumbersome. They serve their purpose and if you just using them for Kali, it's worth the $1.

Upvote 0

bgraham34

I have the Disney ones that I keep in my owners locker. I do want to get the cheap ones from Walmart so that way I can toss them if need be at the end of the day.

Upvote 0

G00fyDad

We have bought the Disney ones a couple of times over the years, but we have found that the ones from the Dollar Tree, Wal-Mart, Target, etc... work just as well.

But, I see that you want to wear it while riding Kali. Good luck on staying dry. It is a freak of chance with our family that whenever we ride my daughter and I sit on the opposite side from my wife and our son. No matter how many times we ride, they always get soaked to the bone, and we barely get wet. My wife has tried your idea of using ponchos to keep a little drier.... didn't work. And she was wrapped up like leftovers. ;)

Upvote 0

disney1077

Original Poster
We have bought the Disney ones a couple of times over the years, but we have found that the ones from the Dollar Tree, Wal-Mart, Target, etc... work just as well.

But, I see that you want to wear it while riding Kali. Good luck on staying dry. It is a freak of chance with our family that whenever we ride my daughter and I sit on the opposite side from my wife and our son. No matter how many times we ride, they always get soaked to the bone, and we barely get wet. My wife has tried your idea of using ponchos to keep a little drier.... didn't work. And she was wrapped up like leftovers. ;)

That always happens to me to. It seems that no matter where I am sitting I always end up the one getting soaked the most on the ride. So the poncho did not help at all?

Upvote 0

Uncle Lupe

I pack a few of the rain panchos from the 99 cent store. They are thin but I can slip a few right into my purse and they are not heavy or cumbersome. They serve their purpose and if you just using them for Kali, it's worth the $1.

I agree, that if that is the only reason you are using then the cheapo ones should work. The Disney ones are heavier and sell quite well despite the price in a prolonged downpour.

Upvote 0

NYwdwfan

Not for my wife and son. They still got really wet. :D

I got SOAKED - like I went in a dunk tank - one year and had to buy a dress and shoes in one of the AK shops (still my favorite souveniers ever!!). I wore a poncho the following year and kept mostly dry, but I wasn't in "the seat". I mainly got wet from the water going in through the hood opening and down the front of my shirt. I guess if you're headed down the drop and on the bottom, you can try gathering the poncho around your face. Although I suspect unless you hermetically seal yourself in a hazmat suit, if you're in that seat, the water is going to find a way in somehow!

Upvote 0

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
I wore a poncho the following year and kept mostly dry, but I wasn't in "the seat". I mainly got wet from the water going in through the hood opening and down the front of my shirt. I guess if you're headed down the drop and on the bottom, you can try gathering the poncho around your face. Although I suspect unless you hermetically seal yourself in a hazmat suit, if you're in that seat, the water is going to find a way in somehow!

Ponchos SEEM like a good idea but this is what I was thinking!
I personally don't care about getting soaked. It feels good actually and the Florida sun usually takes care of business.... but when the ladies in my family get wet it either costs us our day - (We have to leave the park) or it costs me in the wallet (I have to buy expensive disney gear)......I will however give the ponchos a try on Kali this year.
We always bring them to Disney with us in case of rainy days...(haven't had to use them yet...FINGERS CROSSED)

Upvote 0

ratherbeinwdw

I love riding Kali River Rapids but I am not crazy about getting drenched (which seems to happen every time I ride) so I was thinking of just wearing a poncho the next time I ride it. So I was wondering how good are the ponchos they sell in Disney World? Do you know how much they cost? Or should I just bring one from home? Thank! :)

We have Disney ponchos from this year and two years ago. The new ones are a little thinner, but they feel much better. The ones we bought in May cost 7.00 each, but they are really good ones. They don't tear like the dollar store ones. You can use them over and over. The only reason we bought new ones, was that we left our other ones in the car and didn't want to go back out and get them.
If you buy the cheaper ones, don't buy the ones at the dollar store. The hoods are too small and you get soaked. They are also too short to sit on with the hood on which defeats the purpose. Your bottom still gets wet. The ones at Wal Mart and the Disney ones have enough extra on the sides to pull under before you sit down. This way you stay dry.
We carry both kinds. If I'm carrying a small bag, I bring the deposable ones that day. If I'm carrying a larger bag, I carry the Disney ones. I actually used one of those little bag sealers you can buy at Bed Bath & Beyond and heat sealed the sides of our Disney ponchos so that if it's raining, the water doesn't come in the sides. We also have rain suits we wear when the rain is set in for the day. That way you stay totally dry and can still go from ride to ride.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom