Polynesian DVC?

jpittore1

A 3rd DVC on the monorail

It seems strange they would put a 3rd DVC on the monorail. It was always my understanding the monorail rooms were always close to capacity with "cash" guests. I know DVC members have put their fair share of "cash" into Disney, but I would rather DVC put their money into a brand new property and make a grand resort, not just a DVC wing.

Pioneer Hall

Don't forget about the Yacht Club.

It's hard to consider that the case considering how Yacht and Beach are really one resort with just two different sides (they share pretty much every guest and management component). I feel that if they could have built more villas on the Yacht side they would have by now since BCV is the most popular thing they have in the system.

Tom

Beta Return
Thanks D.I.
I can't say how or who but it was confirmed that DVC is in the planning stages at the Polynesian.

They did look at putting it into Tahiti and Rapa Nui years ago and decided it would not work. The Test balloons reported on WDWMagic were part of evaluating the area for new construction and I am told it will be DVC.

Master Yoda,

I wondered the same thing. In all the discussions I have had I don't remember anyone mentioning anything happening to Luau Cove except to use it for serving food while the GCH was under construction but looking at the usable area over there it looks like it would have to move or be incorporated into the new structure.

Just me speculating, I see the Luau Cove going away and I would think that not only a building for the DVC rooms would have to go in but a lobby and maybe even another pool area. There is actually quite a bit of land over there. Things would just be split by the monorail line. They could also fill in part of Peepete Bay and even relocate Aotearoa towards the beach. Im just guessing now. I was asked for a few ideas and it will be interesting to see if they use any of them.

Thanks for the confirmation, TikiMan. I had pretty much ruled it a "yes" when the report of the test balloons happened, but this seals the deal.

Plus, it's a no brainer. Now that they know they can feasibly extend the beaches into the lagoon, there's no hurdle keeping them from putting up a DVC wing at the Poly.

I would tend to agree. Once you eliminate the luau cove you have a good size chunk of land to work with. Reclaim some of the lake and you have even more. Incorporating a new luau cove in to the new construction would also solve the problem of the shows being canceled due to bad weather.

Hey, you stole that from my post in the balloon thread! ;)

But yes, it would make complete sense to bulldoze the cove and incorporate it into the new facility...or otherwise make it weatherproof. It's a cash cow for Disney, and when they have to cancel shows all the time, it can't be good.

It seems strange they would put a 3rd DVC on the monorail. It was always my understanding the monorail rooms were always close to capacity with "cash" guests. I know DVC members have put their fair share of "cash" into Disney, but I would rather DVC put their money into a brand new property and make a grand resort, not just a DVC wing.

I predict this is 3 of 4, actually. And it only makes sense. They'll add a building, just like they did at Contemp and that they're doing now at GF, but it's even more fitting at the Poly since it's entirely made up of remote buildings anyway.

#4 will be the DVC or DVC/Resort combo at the site of the original Mediterranean Resort. I don't care about "sink holes"....it'll happen :)

bethymouse

Thanks Tikiman

I guess it was inevitable!:dazzle:

I just think: the more things change, the more things stay the same. IMHO.:shrug:

tjkraz

... I would rather DVC put their money into a brand new property and make a grand resort, not just a DVC wing.

From Disney's perspective, it's a much easier sell to add rooms to a resort guests have been visiting for 20-40 years. There is already an emotional attachment.

Also it allows Disney to farm out a portion of resort operating expenses and upkeep to the DVC owners.

DisneyInsider said:
It's hard to consider that the case considering how Yacht and Beach are really one resort with just two different sides (they share pretty much every guest and management component). I feel that if they could have built more villas on the Yacht side they would have by now since BCV is the most popular thing they have in the system.

There are always options. ;) Don't be surprised if DVC re-visits some existing locations and expands in the future. It isn't written in stone that BCV is locked into its existing 208 units.

That said, one of the issues they face is dealing with the existing condo association bylaws...specifically the contract end dates. There is room to expand the Beach Club Villas out into the parking lot, but the 2042 ending date on that contract limits the value of such an expansion. You can't charge $200 per point for less than 30 years of ownership.

They also have to carefully consider capacity issues among all of the resort's amenities. SAB is big but it also services 1400-1500 hotel + villa rooms now.

Again there are options but building in new locations is the favored approach at the moment.

Tom

Beta Return
From Disney's perspective, it's a much easier sell to add rooms to a resort guests have been visiting for 20-40 years. There is already an emotional attachment.

Also it allows Disney to farm out a portion of resort operating expenses and upkeep to the DVC owners.

Precisely. I love the Poly, but I'm also a DVC owner. I'd love to be able to stay at the Poly all the time, but I have to use my points every year too. If I can book a DVC room at the Poly, I'm technically staying there, just on points and in a much nicer room. It's win-win for someone like me.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Maybe the Luau will get the wrecking ball, but could also be rebuilt inside the new DVC wing providing an indoor venue that would not have to be canceled for bad weather.
That is what I suggested in a later post.

I would tend to agree. Once you eliminate the luau cove you have a good size chunk of land to work with. Reclaim some of the lake and you have even more. Incorporating a new luau cove in to the new construction would also solve the problem of the shows being canceled due to bad weather.

Pioneer Hall

There are always options. ;) Don't be surprised if DVC re-visits some existing locations and expands in the future. It isn't written in stone that BCV is locked into its existing 208 units.

That said, one of the issues they face is dealing with the existing condo association bylaws...specifically the contract end dates. There is room to expand the Beach Club Villas out into the parking lot, but the 2042 ending date on that contract limits the value of such an expansion. You can't charge $200 per point for less than 30 years of ownership.

They also have to carefully consider capacity issues among all of the resort's amenities. SAB is big but it also services 1400-1500 hotel + villa rooms now.

Again there are options but building in new locations is the favored approach at the moment.

I know it didn't work well at OKW, but they could always offer an extension if they want to expand. Then they can offer later contract dates and give owners the option of keeping their points after 2042.

Capacity is definitely an issue though, and I think you see it the most in transportation. There is really no question that those monorails and buses are more crowded from BLT and will get even worse with GFV. Obviously I am not against tasteful expansions as they have done (in my opinion), but they can't ignore details such as this either if they want to expand the system. Imagine a FW DVC sharing boats to the MK with the current guests. Those lines can get long enough now as it is, and they can't just add extra capacity. It would make staying at the fort incredibly inconvenient unless they come up with a new plan.

Sharkreef11

Original Poster
Thanks D.I.
I can't say how or who but it was confirmed that DVC is in the planning stages at the Polynesian.

They did look at putting it into Tahiti and Rapa Nui years ago and decided it would not work. The Test balloons reported on WDWMagic were part of evaluating the area for new construction and I am told it will be DVC.

Master Yoda,

I wondered the same thing. In all the discussions I have had I don't remember anyone mentioning anything happening to Luau Cove except to use it for serving food while the GCH was under construction but looking at the usable area over there it looks like it would have to move or be incorporated into the new structure.

Just me speculating, I see the Luau Cove going away and I would think that not only a building for the DVC rooms would have to go in but a lobby and maybe even another pool area. There is actually quite a bit of land over there. Things would just be split by the monorail line. They could also fill in part of Peepete Bay and even relocate Aotearoa towards the beach. Im just guessing now. I was asked for a few ideas and it will be interesting to see if they use any of them.

Thanks for the great info, tikiman. So you mentioned that you expect Poly DVC to open by 2017. When would you predict points to go on sale? 2016? I am sure this is going to be a hot commodity amongst Disney fans. I really hope to be one of the first!

Sharkreef11

Original Poster
Thanks D.I.

Master Yoda,

Thanks for the great info, tikiman. So you mentioned you thought Poly dvc would open 2017. When do you predict points to go on sale? 2016? I am sure this is going to be a hot commodity amongst disney fans, I just hope I am able to purchase points before they sell out!

tjkraz

I am sure this is going to be a hot commodity amongst disney fans, I just hope I am able to purchase points before they sell out!

Disney will control demand with prices. They aren't going to allow it to sell out in a few weeks or even a few months. If it were trending in that direction based upon initial prices (doubtful), they would immediately skyrocket.

DVC builds resorts with the expectation of a minimum 2-3 year sales lifecycle. Again, if sales exceed expectations they will simply bump the price by 10%...20%...30%...whatever is needed.

This isn't like selling churros or Mickey ice cream bars where good sales nets larger orders. Disney typically invests over $100K in any resort expansion and will set prices as high as the market will bear.

Sharkreef11

Original Poster
Disney will control demand with prices. They aren't going to allow it to sell out in a few weeks or even a few months. If it were trending in that direction based upon initial prices (doubtful), they would immediately skyrocket.

DVC builds resorts with the expectation of a minimum 2-3 year sales lifecycle. Again, if sales exceed expectations they will simply bump the price by 10%...20%...30%...whatever is needed.

This isn't like selling churros or Mickey ice cream bars where good sales nets larger orders. Disney typically invests over $100K in any resort expansion and will set prices as high as the market will bear.

I gotcha. I think the whole thought of the Poly becoming DVC just got me excited and I wasn't thinking clearly. :hammer: I plan on starting a special savings now so I am ready when the time does come so I can jump in before the price spike.

tikiman

Thanks for the great info, tikiman. So you mentioned you thought Poly dvc would open 2017. When do you predict points to go on sale? 2016? I am sure this is going to be a hot commodity amongst disney fans, I just hope I am able to purchase points before they sell out!

Well I just found out the details of what they are going to do (crazy stuff)and I have to say that maybe the first phase will be done by 2017 but I really don't know when they will start selling. If I can find out I will let you know.

Sharkreef11

Original Poster
Well I just found out the details of what they are going to do (crazy stuff)and I have to say that maybe the first phase will be done by 2017 but I really don't know when they will start selling. If I can find out I will let you know.

Exciting stuff. Thanks again! :wave:

captainkidd

:lol: Not going to be cheap. :(

Yeah, I mean, it's all relative. By that point in time, to stay at the Polynesian will probably be over $550 per night (if not more). My only point is, as we all know, Disney's resort rate increases don't jive with what most of us increase in salary. As time goes on, Disney is going to either have to start discounting the heck out of their rooms, or there will be a lot of empty rooms. That's where the future of DVC becomes interesting. What's the cost now - $18,000 to join for 150 points? In 5 years, figure what, $22,000? It's a big leap of faith on Disney's part, especially in this tricky economy and not knowing where we'll be in just a few years time.

Pioneer Hall

Yeah, I mean, it's all relative. By that point in time, to stay at the Polynesian will probably be over $550 per night (if not more). My only point is, as we all know, Disney's resort rate increases don't jive with what most of us increase in salary. As time goes on, Disney is going to either have to start discounting the heck out of their rooms, or there will be a lot of empty rooms. That's where the future of DVC becomes interesting. What's the cost now - $18,000 to join for 150 points? In 5 years, figure what, $22,000? It's a big leap of faith on Disney's part, especially in this tricky economy and not knowing where we'll be in just a few years time.

Disney increases prices because they can though. If points weren't selling at the current rates the they would be the price that they are. So time will tell how Disney prices their rooms, points, etc.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom