Entering the utilidors

mergatroid

Original Poster
Hi, I found this rather astonishing video on youtube of two young lads entering the utilidors and filming :eek:. They seem to enter through a normal door that appears unlocked and then walk from Fantasyland to Tomorrowland passing many cast members before finding an exit back into Tomorrowland! It says it's from 1997 but I find it extraordinary that accessing the utilidors seemed so easy even back then. I'm sure there's multiple security systems in place now, but can anyone identify exactly where they enter and exit just out of curiosity :shrug:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkDMzJvsF-E

By the way it goes without saying not to try this :hammer:

I_heart_Tigger

Pretty much all fo the doors were unlocked in 97, I was still working at Epcot then. In some cases there aren't even doors to backstage, you just walk behind a particular hedge or wll and Boom! you're backstage. You have to remember that CM's from all the parks are allowed down there so 50,000 people have access to the tunnels...two people wandering around aren't going to cause much concern unless there is a very identifiable way to show they aren't CM's.

If anything the video shows how incredubly dull the tunnels are. Ohhhh...he saw some CM's talking to each other...and Chip's head. I think people imagine something way more exciting than it actually is. It's normal people hanging around between shifts...just like any other job.

If you could have seen my break trailer that video would have been better. The Canadians used to share a trailer with the characters from the UK. Mary Poppins was nice but I could have decked the that played Alice....snotty little thing. We almost got in a few scraps backstage. I was dating Tigger so he would come backstage and we would hang out, before he put his head on I would give him a kiss before he went onstage - yes, a little strange kissing a grown man in a tiger suit but it just seemed ordinary after a while.

btw most of the doors are still easily accessible. When I'm alone I still skip backstage if it's a shortcut to anywhere. I figure I've already been there and if I get stopped by anyone I can completely recite the spiel in the Cave as proof.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
There's still no security to get down there. I've been down there in my street clothes a hundred times, but only asked for my ID twice. Twice, though, is enough to convince you that you shouldn't risk it; it could easily get you kicked out of the parks or even banned.

phlydude

There's still no security to get down there. I've been down there in my street clothes a hundred times, but only asked for my ID twice. Twice, though, is enough to convince you that you shouldn't risk it; it could easily get you kicked out of the parks or even banned.

"I thought this was the entrance to the bathroom but I got lost :cry: "

fosse76

Hi, I found this rather astonishing video on youtube of two young lads entering the utilidors and filming :eek:. They seem to enter through a normal door that appears unlocked and then walk from Fantasyland to Tomorrowland passing many cast members before finding an exit back into Tomorrowland! It says it's from 1997 but I find it extraordinary that accessing the utilidors seemed so easy even back then. I'm sure there's multiple security systems in place now, but can anyone identify exactly where they enter and exit just out of curiosity :shrug:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkDMzJvsF-E

By the way it goes without saying not to try this :hammer:

That's interesting. Are CMs not required to be wearing nametags in the Utilidors? And are backstage employees allowed to dress so casually? I ask because even at Six Flags I wouldv'e been stopped backstage looking like that...especially if I didn't have a nametag. Just wondering.

The Utilidors look every bit as boring and unexciting as I expected them to be. Would make a great setting for a horror movie. :wave:

I_heart_Tigger

That's interesting. Are CMs not required to be wearing nametags in the Utilidors? And are backstage employees allowed to dress so casually? I ask because even at Six Flags I wouldv'e been stopped backstage looking like that...especially if I didn't have a nametag. Just wondering.

The Utilidors look every bit as boring and unexciting as I expected them to be. Would make a great setting for a horror movie. :wave:

No, you don't have to have a nametag on for numerous reasons:
1. Characters on their breaks can take off their costumes and spend their break time in shorts and t-shirts - they have nametags assigned but rarely need them unless their doing something other than characters that day
2. People could be on their way to and from costuming or their locker - you cannot take your costume home, it is dropped at costuming after your shift. Your nametag is usually in your locker so you usually don't ever have that until you have your costume on
3. Some CM's will get dropped backstage just for days off when going to the park. They may just be on their way out for some fun, not for working
4. New CM's are given tours of the utilidors to find their way around and they haven't even started work so they have no costume or nametag yet
5. There are other things down there - internet cafe, lunch room, costume repair etc which CM's may use on their days off or just to meet their friends who are working
6. If there is a meeting scheduled CM's have to go off duty and meet in their offices/meeting rooms - or they may stop in to check their schedules

These are just a few that I thought of, but you can see there are reasons why people wouldn't be wearing their nametags. As I said before there are 50,000 people who are allowed down there (not that other CM's really need to be - and personally it's easier just to get places onstage at MK) so I can see why people just walk past someone without a second glance.

However if you look nervous or like you don't know where you're coming or going to - you might get stopped. It's a confusing place - you have to just follow the coloured stripes on the walls to figure out which land you're in.

mergatroid

Original Poster
Pretty much all fo the doors were unlocked in 97, I was still working at Epcot then. In some cases there aren't even doors to backstage, you just walk behind a particular hedge or wll and Boom! you're backstage. You have to remember that CM's from all the parks are allowed down there so 50,000 people have access to the tunnels...two people wandering around aren't going to cause much concern unless there is a very identifiable way to show they aren't CM's.

If anything the video shows how incredubly dull the tunnels are. Ohhhh...he saw some CM's talking to each other...and Chip's head. I think people imagine something way more exciting than it actually is. It's normal people hanging around between shifts...just like any other job.

If you could have seen my break trailer that video would have been better. The Canadians used to share a trailer with the characters from the UK. Mary Poppins was nice but I could have decked the that played Alice....snotty little thing. We almost got in a few scraps backstage. I was dating Tigger so he would come backstage and we would hang out, before he put his head on I would give him a kiss before he went onstage - yes, a little strange kissing a grown man in a tiger suit but it just seemed ordinary after a while.

btw most of the doors are still easily accessible. When I'm alone I still skip backstage if it's a shortcut to anywhere. I figure I've already been there and if I get stopped by anyone I can completely recite the spiel in the Cave as proof.

No, you don't have to have a nametag on for numerous reasons:
1. Characters on their breaks can take off their costumes and spend their break time in shorts and t-shirts - they have nametags assigned but rarely need them unless their doing something other than characters that day
2. People could be on their way to and from costuming or their locker - you cannot take your costume home, it is dropped at costuming after your shift. Your nametag is usually in your locker so you usually don't ever have that until you have your costume on
3. Some CM's will get dropped backstage just for days off when going to the park. They may just be on their way out for some fun, not for working
4. New CM's are given tours of the utilidors to find their way around and they haven't even started work so they have no costume or nametag yet
5. There are other things down there - internet cafe, lunch room, costume repair etc which CM's may use on their days off or just to meet their friends who are working
6. If there is a meeting scheduled CM's have to go off duty and meet in their offices/meeting rooms - or they may stop in to check their schedules

These are just a few that I thought of, but you can see there are reasons why people wouldn't be wearing their nametags. As I said before there are 50,000 people who are allowed down there (not that other CM's really need to be - and personally it's easier just to get places onstage at MK) so I can see why people just walk past someone without a second glance.

However if you look nervous or like you don't know where you're coming or going to - you might get stopped. It's a confusing place - you have to just follow the coloured stripes on the walls to figure out which land you're in.

Really interesting stuff there and thanks for sharing, I also see your username differently now :animwink:

I_heart_Tigger

I was down there on my training day where we toured the utilidors and went backstage one some attractions - luckily for me the attraction we toured that day was Alien Encounter (RIP :cry:) but before we got to the door to let us out in Tomorrowland, the power flickered a bit, shut off for about 7 seconds then slowly came back on. It was actually really creepy.

Rob562

Actually, most CMs can now take their costumes home. (Not Entertainment or Characters, obviously, but most of the hourly roles) It's called Cast Zooming and was part of the budget cuts that WDW adopted after Disneyland did the same thing. Main Costuming for the MK was also relocated up by West Clock. Only Entertainment and Character costuming are in the Utilidors anymore.

A CM can now have up to three costumes checked out at one time. (Or maybe it's three of the clothing items, one of any accessories) They can either wash them themselves, or return a set for Disney to wash and check out another set.

It's most obvious at Animal Kingdom, where Cast parking is in the main lot just beyond the bus stops. So you'll sometimes see Cast coming and going as your bus arrives or leaves the bus stops, or from the tram as you head out to your car. (It's also like this at the Studios, but the CMs don't walk as close to the Guest areas of the lot)

-Rob

I_heart_Tigger

Actually, most CMs can now take their costumes home. (Not Entertainment or Characters, obviously, but most of the hourly roles) It's called Cast Zooming and was part of the budget cuts that WDW adopted after Disneyland did the same thing. Main Costuming for the MK was also relocated up by West Clock. Only Entertainment and Character costuming are in the Utilidors anymore.

-Rob

Interesting. I worked at Epcot and had to go to costuming behind Mexico. What a time that was, elbowing your way up to the counter to get a costume - trying to check it for stains, holes, really bad smells - getting my workboots (Canada costume) and trying to get the steel toed ones which were WAYYYYYY more comfortable than without the steel toes.

When you have a 10 foot counter and 75-100 international CM's screaming out "ITALY FOOD SIZE 10!!! GATEWAY SIZE 4 WITH SHORTS!!! CANADA MERCH SIZE 8 WITH SHORTS NEW BOOTS SIZE 8!!!!" It's quite a way to start the day. :lol:

I would have loved to had the opportunity to take out more than one costume especially since some of them were not in the best shape.

mergatroid

Original Poster
There was originally plans for a utilidor extension for the meet and greets that were to be where the mine train is now being built. We've seen no signs of it being built during the FLE as it is no longer a necessity.

Ok, thanks for that.

Bob

B00b
Premium Member
I get that there are tons of CM's down in the utilidors and most are in "plain clothes", so it would be hard to distinguish a park guest from everyone else. I am just curious how the CM's did not notice the camera that these guys were using to record everything. Even if they said that it was being held down to the side. Camcorders back in the 90's were not nearly as inconspicuous as what we have these days. Kinda hard to keep something like this hidden. I would think that would make it a dead give-a-way that the two did not belong there.

6110222339_25dc5c9710_z.jpg

rufio

There was originally plans for a utilidor extension for the meet and greets that were to be where the mine train is now being built. We've seen no signs of it being built during the FLE as it is no longer a necessity.

Why is it no longer a necessity?

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.

A CM can now have up to three costumes checked out at one time. (Or maybe it's three of the clothing items, one of any accessories) They can either wash them themselves, or return a set for Disney to wash and check out another set.
-Rob
Five. They can have five full costumes.

Why is it no longer a necessity?

Not that I know for sure, but there shouldn't really be any need for additional utilidoors under the expansion part. The existing part of fantasyland already has them going there, so people can get to the main part without having to walk down main street or through tomorrowland. The backs of the new main buildings are also "outside" of the park so things or people could go in and out that way too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom