Riverside or French Quarter?

DisneyNerd547

Hey guys,

This is my first time posting! :wave: I usually lurk around looking for tips and opinions, but wanted to get something more direct from everyone. My DW (I think I've interpreted that right as Disney Wife) and myself are planning a trip for our anniversary in September and were looking at Port Orleans. We are having a tough time deciding between RS and FQ though. We have no real interest in the Alligator Bayou rooms, but really want to stay at one of the super romantic mansions at Magnolia Bend. (Just not the Royal rooms) Though we are apprehensive because that's all up to chance.

Does one out weigh the other? Should I take the chances on Magnolia Bend or go for the French Quarter? What do you guys think?

Thanks! :D

Mimi

If it's romance you're looking for the French Quarter is the place to find it. The FQ has a wonderfully relaxing atmosphere and has much more of an adult feel to it than the Riverside, IMO.

Upvote 0

MouseDreaming

You really can't go wrong with either. Ironically, we've always stayed at POFQ as a family, but as newlyweds, we stayed in mansion rooms on what is now the RS part of PO. As a result, I always think of that as being more romantic. For an evening of romance, a stroll along the Sassagoula is in order. Maybe even a horse and carriage ride? And the boat to DTD is great. As a matter of fact, we hardly stay around DTD, we just hop the boat, again. Enjoy!:wave:

Upvote 0

RedBaron

I love FQ and it is the only hotel on property that I keep going back to. I love that it is small, and even if you are at the farthest building, the main building and food court are just a short walk away. I enjoy the New Orleans music that they play around the resort. I also think the pool area is beautiful. The last time I stayed here, we had to share bus service with POR? I am happy to hear that they have its own bus again. Maybe it was a seasonal thing? Maybe we wont be driving to the parks like we had originally planned.

Upvote 0

DisneyRunner

If you are looking for a discount on a reservation, POFQ has only had 5% off lately. POR has had at least 20%-25% off. Thus leading me to believe that POFQ is very popular and has high occupancy rates. Whichever resort you choose you won't be disappointed.

Upvote 0

jnbarrett

Our family personally prefers POR ... we've stayed there 3 times now, and we'll be staying there a 4th time this coming fall.

We found PFQ too garish for our own tastes, and the cafeteria area was a bit too intense for us.

We loved the laid back / spread out feel of POR.

We have 3 young children, ages 6, 4, and 2 - we're looking forward to the trundle beds at POR. :)

Upvote 0

ml123_9

If you are looking for romance, I would go with RS. The resort is spread out and peaceful. If there are a lot of kids there, I've never noticed them. Except in the mornings when the food court is busiest. I wouldn't worry about the busses, the only time they share, I believe, is in the middle of the day. The boats to DTD run out of both resorts. I have never stayed at FQ, but whenever I visit, it always seems too "busy". RS just has a relaxing ambience to it.

Upvote 0

real mad hatter

New Beds.

Our family personally prefers POR ... we've stayed there 3 times now, and we'll be staying there a 4th time this coming fall.

We found PFQ too garish for our own tastes, and the cafeteria area was a bit too intense for us.

We loved the laid back / spread out feel of POR.

We have 3 young children, ages 6, 4, and 2 - we're looking forward to the trundle beds at POR. :)

Now Murphy beds.:wave:

Upvote 0

real mad hatter

No Problem.

No kidding? When we went last spring, we stayed at PC with the kids (wow that was squished!).

I guess it's been about 2-2.5yrs since our last stay at POR. Where'd they stick the murphy bed in those rooms?

Theres a video on the port Orleans unofficial web site that shows you.it's like a bench that folds out into a bed,you can request safety bars from concierge.:wave:

Upvote 0

Kita79

When researching the moderate hotels, I just fell in love with the grounds of Port Orleans Riverside. And they have the new Royal Guest rooms that I had to get for my little princess. She loves the princesses especially Cinderella and Tiana. I love the fact that we will be able to relax and take bike rides, hop on a horse and carriage ride, and the pool is cool too. Being right on water seems peaceful. There are tons of activities to do while not in the parks.:sohappy::sohappy::sohappy:

Upvote 0

DisneyNerd547

Original Poster
Thank you!

Thanks to everybody for their advice! Sorry for the late reply, things have been kind of crazy.

The sad news is that after certain factors and budget constraints came to light we had to cancel our anniversary trip! :cry:

The good news though, my wife had a trip planned to visit her family who live in Kissimmee starting next weekend. After seeing how bummed out I was over having to cancel our trip in Sept. (more so than she knew because of the surprises I had lined up) she managed to surprise me with airfare to FL to tag along with her for part of the trip! :eek: Normally it's the reverse and I'm all sneaky with stuff to plan, so it was very, very unexpected. She even called my boss and got my time off work requested and ok'd!

We won't be staying at PO this trip, but I am definitely looking forward to it whenever we can plan another big trip. You guys have been super helpful! I can't wait to try out my new camera and post my first trip report! :D

Thanks again everybody!

Upvote 0

luv

I prefer POFQ...and I don't even care about New Orleans.

With kids, I'd go to POR. I very much prefer the AB section, but only because I like those rooms so much more.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom