Moving to Florida for many reasons

nelsonj3

I live in Lakeland, but I teach at Haines City HS, which is at the intersection of US 92 and US 27. I really like the entire area here.

We moved here from Indiana four years ago, and we've really enjoyed being here.

Also, the schools here in Polk County are actually pretty good. Haines City High School is both a regular high school and an International Baccalaureate School. I teach in both schools, and several of my IB students have been accepted to prestigious or even Ivy League Universities.

Lakeland is a great place to live too. It is halfway between WDW and Tampa. We live close to I-4, so it only takes us 30-35 minutes to get to and from the parks. However, we are far enough away from the parks that the extra tourists and traffic don't bother us during peak times.

My parents live in Davenport, and they really like it as well. Let me know if you have any questions.

sweetpee_1993

I grew up in the metro Orlando area! I went to Lancaster Elementary in Pine Castle (which had gotten pretty slummy last time I drove by 15 years ago), Jackson Heights Middle School (Oviedo...but back in the day when Oviedo was hick-ville and the local mom-n-pop grocery store ~Meat World~ still had charge accounts for long-time customers), Rock Lake Middle School (Altamonte Springs...was full of snotty rich kids then), then Lake Howell High School (Winter Park...was an okay neighborhood back then but not the nicest now). Doctor Phillips was brand spankin' new when I left the Orlando area and I can't say I've ever had even the slightest desire to move back. Even with my Disney love, no way. Not my cup of tea. I know a lot of the gang we ran around with back in high school have moved out to the Clermont area. I thought that was odd. Nobody we knew thought anything even remotely related to Disney was in any way-shape-or-form "cool" so it's odd that they would all move so close. My bestest girlfriend has stayed near the Oviedo area and is a teacher at one of the schools. Her dad left Oviedo and moved to Chuluota. Not sure how that area bodes now. Back in the day that was like some serious backwoods folks and that's what the Oviedo country-bumpkins thought. My best friend's dad was a calculus professor at UCF. I've certainly spent many an hour roaming that campus feeling mighty cool hangin' with the college crowd (I was only like 12 & 13 then!). I'm sure Dr. Salzmann is long since retired but if any of y'all knew him, he's one cool fella.

I have a lot of family that live in Northwest Florida. I've lived in the Gulf Coast region almost my whole life. Before buying anything find out about insurance first! Florida insurance isn't cheap because of all the hurricanes. If I remember correctly windstorm is NOT covered under homeowners and has to be bought as a separate policy. Not sure if it's required more in the Central Florida area but I know they took some heavy hits in recent years from windstorms so I wouldn't be surprised if it's required. Because we live in a coastal area of Texas we have very high insurance for our home. We actually have a total of 3 different policies to cover us: homeowners, windstorm, and flood (even tho we aren't in what is zoned as a flood plain, if we're protected by a levee and a flood gate I won't dare be without it).

I checked out Connections for the boys. Connections actually costs waaaaay more than the curriculum we went with. Also, at the beginning of the school year it was looking very much like I'd need to go back to work which would've been not okay with the parent coach thing. We get online & phone support, set our own schedule, and it all works out but for a lot less money. We're talking $10k - $11k/year vs. about $3k - $4k/year which included the cost of buying 2 laptops. It's crazy. If I win the lottery I'd go with Connections, tho.... :lol: It looks very nice and well put together.

enchanted_belle

I live in Lakeland, but I teach at Haines City HS, which is at the intersection of US 92 and US 27. I really like the entire area here.

We moved here from Indiana four years ago, and we've really enjoyed being here.

Also, the schools here in Polk County are actually pretty good. Haines City High School is both a regular high school and an International Baccalaureate School. I teach in both schools, and several of my IB students have been accepted to prestigious or even Ivy League Universities.

Lakeland is a great place to live too. It is halfway between WDW and Tampa. We live close to I-4, so it only takes us 30-35 minutes to get to and from the parks. However, we are far enough away from the parks that the extra tourists and traffic don't bother us during peak times.

My parents live in Davenport, and they really like it as well. Let me know if you have any questions.

I have a question for you... I'm going for elementary education, and to say there are no jobs for my degree in my area is an understatement. What is it like for teachers in Florida?

Fashionista007

Original Poster
Thank You All!

I just wanted to thank you all for helping me with my relocation to FL. My husband and I are moving in just 12 days to Davenport near Four Corners! I started my trip report from last month when we picked our rental home, we are so excited to become real Floridians!!

Relocation Prep Trip Report

We are so happy with our decision to move down and we're really lucky that it's so easy for us because I don't have to change jobs and we don't have kids yet. I am happy to help anyone that has questions about relocation, this has been SO much easier than planning our Disney Fairytale Wedding :hammer:

Thank you all again for all your comments in this thread! Whether you knew it or not, you were helping to make my dreams come true :cry:

disneyrcks

I just wanted to thank you all for helping me with my relocation to FL. My husband and I are moving in just 12 days to Davenport near Four Corners! I started my trip report from last month when we picked our rental home, we are so excited to become real Floridians!!

Relocation Prep Trip Report

We are so happy with our decision to move down and we're really lucky that it's so easy for us because I don't have to change jobs and we don't have kids yet. I am happy to help anyone that has questions about relocation, this has been SO much easier than planning our Disney Fairytale Wedding :hammer:

Thank you all again for all your comments in this thread! Whether you knew it or not, you were helping to make my dreams come true :cry:

Congrats on the move!! I have been following your thread and am so glad things are working out for you both. We are also in the process of relocating to the Orlando area. We are very familiar with some areas but not so much others. So I may take you up on that advice :). I have just finished my Master's in Special Education grades 1-6. I have a somewhat in with one of the counties down there so I am keeping my fingers crossed for a job. Hubby will need to get a job for us to move though as he is the "bread winner" and FL schools do not pay nearly as much as they do up here.

Good luck with the move :sohappy:

phllymouse

After more and more research, we have now come to the conclusion that we are moving to either Clermont or Dr Phillips area. Dr Phillips is closer to DT Orlando (for jobs) but a little more pricey (but good area). Clermont is further away, but cheaper (rent and daycare wise)

We are about 4 months away from moving (February 2012) We can't wait. We are still researching every second we can. I work for SunTrust bank so I can transfer, my wife is a medical assistant in Dermatology/plastic surgery as well as 5+ years experience in family practice, so hopefully she can find a job with her background.

We are so excited to be back in Florida! Home!

I plan on moving in June. If you can help I am looking for a one bedroom apartment for under 1000 in the davenport/ Clermont area. Can you help me with suggestions, of places that my car will still bethere in the morning. 3-4 if possible. Thanks

71jason

I plan on moving in June. If you can help I am looking for a one bedroom apartment for under 1000 in the davenport/ Clermont area. Can you help me with suggestions, of places that my car will still bethere in the morning. 3-4 if possible. Thanks

Cagan Crossing. There's another nice apartment complex on 27, name escapes me at the moment, will ask my friend when I see her.

ddbowdoin

after some time of trying to convince my fiance... we're considering a move next year once she completes her graduate program.

Here are my perceived pro/cons of FL

Pro's:
1.) affordable living standards. Here in MA you can't sniff a home under 300K that doesn't need substantial work. Anything sub 300 and you're looking at awful neighborhoods, major house issues such as a failed septic system, roof issues, plumbing, electrical, asbestos.
2.) how about everything is just cheaper, period
3.) weather... I'll never have to shovel ever again. I'll take 3 month of misery and humidity to never have to shovel white crap ever again.
4.) well, Disney... that's pretty cool, right?
5.) TaxAchusetts ... 6% income tax back in my pocket... and don't tell me about property taxes, because our average house is racking up 5800 a year in taxes, not exactly cheap

Con's

1.) Lower wages... but honestly, given my experience with the housing market here in New England, we may earn more here but our housing is at least 40% higher. I don't expect to earn less than 40% income, period.
2.) I'll be losing access to major financial firms... we have just about EVERY firm in Boston. But it's hard enough finding a great job here anyway, the average person who is pulling in major cash at my firm has at least an MBA and all CFA levels passed, with many having PHD's.

BrittanyRose428

after some time of trying to convince my fiance... we're considering a move next year once she completes her graduate program.

Pro's:
1.) affordable living standards. Here in MA you can't sniff a home under 300K that doesn't need substantial work. Anything sub 300 and you're looking at awful neighborhoods, major house issues such as a failed septic system, roof issues, plumbing, electrical, asbestos.
3.) weather... I'll never have to shovel ever again. I'll take 3 month of misery and humidity to never have to shovel white crap ever again.
5.) TaxAchusetts ... 6% income tax back in my pocket... and don't tell me about property taxes, because our average house is racking up 5800 a year in taxes, not exactly cheap

Con's

1.) Lower wages... but honestly, given my experience with the housing market here in New England, we may earn more here but our housing is at least 40% higher. I don't expect to earn less than 40% income, period.
2.) I'll be losing access to major financial firms... we have just about EVERY firm in Boston. But it's hard enough finding a great job here anyway, the average person who is pulling in major cash at my firm has at least an MBA and all CFA levels passed, with many having PHD's.
Thats exactly how I feel about comparing MA to FL... though I'm still in college now for my bachelors (for History), so I feel like I have a better chance of finding a job in Boston. But you never know with the economy/lack of jobs. Sighh some day I'll live in Florida. :lol:

ddbowdoin

Thats exactly how I feel about comparing MA to FL... though I'm still in college now for my bachelors (for History), so I feel like I have a better chance of finding a job in Boston. But you never know with the economy/lack of jobs. Sighh some day I'll live in Florida. :lol:

there are great jobs in Boston... trust me, but again... IMHO you have to be very educated here to land those positions. The old BA isn't good enough anymore, now the standard is a graduate degree and many are going beyond that. I'm 27 and just got out of debt from my undergrad thanks to some help from my inlaws but there isn't a chance in hell I'm going back into debt to get a graduate degree. So I think at my stage in my career / income level I could at least find a lateral move in Florida.

I'm not exactly pulling 6 figures, le sigh :brick:

disneyrcks

Pro's:

Con's

It is common for people to think that you will automatically be making lower wages in FL but that is not always the case. Do not go into negotiations with a low number. Go with what you are making in the North. My family live in the Orlando area and we are down about every four months. From what I am told by everyone we know there, there is money to be made. It is a bit of a misconception that you MUST take a salary cut. Don't sell yourself short.

BrittanyRose428

there are great jobs in Boston... trust me, but again... IMHO you have to be very educated here to land those positions. The old BA isn't good enough anymore, now the standard is a graduate degree and many are going beyond that. I'm 27 and just got out of debt from my undergrad thanks to some help from my inlaws but there isn't a chance in hell I'm going back into debt to get a graduate degree. So I think at my stage in my career / income level I could at least find a lateral move in Florida.

I'm not exactly pulling 6 figures, le sigh :brick:
Agreed 100%. Not looking forward to paying off student loans. I just got a Museum Assistant position at the Old South Meeting House, so at least I (finally) have my foot in the door for something related to my major (and not retail!). Theres no way I'm getting a graduate degree either though, at least not anytime soon, I don't want to keep piling on debt. Florida keeps sounding better and better everyday lol. Sometimes I look at the prices of apartments in Florida, and in my head automatically compare them to Boston and it just sounds so much more affordable. (I guess you could make the same argument for New Hampshire too, but I want to get away from the cold!)

PatriciaH

We made a pros/cons list the 1st time we moved to FL and we just made another one recently. It helps that we have lived in both places now too! DH grew up in MA (North of Boston) and I grew up in NYC. I lived in MA 9 years before we moved to FL (5 & 1/2 years.) We have been back in MA for 2 years now and want to get back to FL ASAP. Orlando area. Anyway I'll share some of the list.

Florida Pros
-Weather from October to April (7 months)
-Newer/cheaper housing
-Lots to do (LOTS!)
-Better movie theaters close by
-Beaches/lakes close
-Things grow year round, sunny
-1 hour more daylight in a day
-Friends and family are there
-Good airport close, cruise ports close
-Vacations can be spent elsewhere (since we will get more time at WDW/Universal/SW or a quick cruise)
-Better hospital there (if we are comparing the 2 areas we were/are in)

Florida Cons
-Humid
-More crime/homeless
-Expensive groceries
-Expensive electric
-Jobs not as stable
-Bad drivers, tourist traffic
-Ocean polluted (BP spill/Corexit)
-Have to be careful of the sun
-Lightening
-Hurricanes

Massachusetts Pros
-Weather from the end of May to beginning of October (4 months with a few weeks on either end)
-Mountains (hiking)
-History/culture
-Cheaper groceries
-Farms/farm stands/farmers markets much closer and better
- Dentist much better here (we had a hard time finding a good, honest one in the area in FL!)
-Stable job with great benefits (for DH anyway. I have been searching for 2 years!)

Massachusetts Cons
-Weather is awful for about 7 months here (SAD is bad, too changeable, even with the warmer winter this past year it is still cool, damp, gray, dead and depressing for months on end. )
-Snow, ice
-Expensive housing
-Expensive heating
-Less to do without money
-We have a nuclear plant way too close
-Dry painful skin all winter

We found pay pretty comparable in both areas. Benefits were good in FL if you found a job with them. I had many more job options and we are falling behind with me not working. Plus I am bored and ready to move on. We gave it a try again here but it we prefer FL! Boston is a great city but I can not deal with the weather here!

nsmom

The vehicle registration from a previous post is wrong. We just moved to the Windermere area from out of state and to get our honda pilot and 2 drivers license for the state we paid almost $600.00. It does go by the weight of the vehicle. However, so far we love the area we are in.

Vader2112

We moved here from New York 7 years ago. Here are my Pros and cons

Pros-
Disney World!
Beaches
Housing and property taxes much cheaper
Can go outside year round November through March/April is best
NO STATE INCOME TAX!!!!

Cons-
Rednecks with or without teeth or guns.
Heat and humidity. Do not beleive you get used to it you just accept it and stop complaining.
The Economy is horrible even more so here.
Thingsin several area are not maintained very well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom