Nikon D3200, WU-1a, Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G officially announced

NowInc

Original Poster
As the title says :)

I have used the D3100 (the older model) a lot and was very impressed with what it could do. The D3200 looks like a more than worthy upgrade from that. Its the "entry level" DSLR, so the price is right as well.

At around 700 dollars, the new 28mm 1.8 lens looks amazing as well. Its a bit on the pricey side but the images you can get shooting wide open should justify the costs.

Read more about both at :

http://nikonrumors.com/2012/04/19/nikon-d3200-wu-1a-nikkor-28mm-f1-8g-officially-announced.aspx/

flynnibus

Premium Member
wow.. quick refresh from the D3000 to 3100 and now the 3200. Keeping the D3100 I guess to push the entry point even further down (see it on amazon as $550 today) and burn through inventory I assume.

Looks like mostly the LCD catchup to canon (still no articulation tho) and the external mic jack. I wonder how much better video shooting really is... I find it marginal on the D3100

flynnibus

Premium Member
Have camera prices come down or am I reading the price wrong at $699?

No, not cheaper than the old camera. I think MSRP on the D3100 was $650 and could be had for

A good price on the D3100 prior was up to $100 off that. Now the D3100 has pushed down to $550 as its selling price.

NowInc

Original Poster
They aren't discontinuing the D3100..its still going to be the base beginner DSLR. The D3200 is for someone who wants a few more features (and a better sensor). The 24 megapixels is a tad much (around 20 megs per raw file), and I won't give my official opinion until I see how it performs at higher ISOs (my expectations are that it won't do that well), but the wifi "gimmick" could be a good selling point (remote photo taking via android and eventually iOS) for only 50 bucks extra.

Also, the D3100 on release with the kit lens was 700 dollars. It went down to 650 shortly after, and now can be had for 550. I expect thats the price point it will remain at for the rest of its production.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The reasoning for keeping the D3100 probably has to do with production... gotta run out the inventory of parts!

I don't see really why there is any other reason to keep the 3100. It's so close to the 3200.

NowInc

Original Poster
Well..$700 for a DSLR Kit (D3200) may be out of some beginners price range...$550 (D3100) is a lot easier. But I do agree with you, I feel if you're getting into DSLR..even at entry level. the extra 150 bucks is no big deal with the many upgrades that come with the new version.

I own a D3100, and I will not be getting a D3200 (and no, not just because i also own a D7000). I feel anyone upgrading from the D3100 can skip the D3200 (and the D5100 for that matter) and go to the D7000 (or wait as I'm sure there will be a D7100 at some point this year with a "too many megapixel" sensor).

ddbowdoin

I actually agree with you, there is just no need for 24MP on a DX.

The only saving quality is that the camera will not have an option to select your BIT rate for RAW images. So even though the sensor is so large (mexapixel wise) the files would be roughly 20 MB since you aren't shooting 14 bit uncompressed files. I believe the camera only shoots compressed files... unlike the beastly D800 which from the reports I read are seeing 80MB files.

NowInc

Original Poster
If the android app lets you set the exposure/shutter speed I may reconsider my thoughts on it. It would allow for some HDR type stuff and remote shutters are good for odd angled videos as well

flynnibus

Premium Member
If the android app lets you set the exposure/shutter speed I may reconsider my thoughts on it. It would allow for some HDR type stuff and remote shutters are good for odd angled videos as well

From Nikon's website
Note: Smart device is used to remotely fire the camera, maximum distance is up to 49 feet and the smart device can not be used to adjust settings on the camera.

Now in theory they could be talking setup settings.. but the only thing they talk about on the web are preview and shutter.. so I assume they also mean shooting settings.

I would have preferred the wireless capabilities being built in.. and sticking with the old sensor!

having to put a dongle in (hanging out of the camera).. and then still not being able to beam camera stuff to a laptop.. or control the shot seems like a waste.

Don't like the new 800 or 3200 really.

Demo of the smartphone app (in Japanese)
http://youtu.be/wItH1VCuQ_8

Basically a fisher price application - not for pro-sumer use really.

ddbowdoin

From Nikon's website

Now in theory they could be talking setup settings.. but the only thing they talk about on the web are preview and shutter.. so I assume they also mean shooting settings.

I would have preferred the wireless capabilities being built in.. and sticking with the old sensor!

having to put a dongle in (hanging out of the camera).. and then still not being able to beam camera stuff to a laptop.. or control the shot seems like a waste.

Don't like the new 800 or 3200 really.

Demo of the smartphone app (in Japanese)
http://youtu.be/wItH1VCuQ_8

Basically a fisher price application - not for pro-sumer use really.

Major fail... they already have a wireless remote and it's 19.99... what is the point if you can't adjust settings ?!?!?!?

only thing... DxO has the 800 highest rated sensor EVER

NowInc

Original Poster
I had the chance to play with a D800 this weekend and honestly it was VERY nice...but those damn huge raw files. I am someone who has terabytes of storage because of my job and even I feel that the images are going to be difficult to hold on to. I am, however, heavily considering getting a D700 instead...the prices are dipping a bit due to it being an older model and its still a damn good body. Just need to decide if I want to dive into full frame and invest in new glass etc.

ddbowdoin

I had the chance to play with a D800 this weekend and honestly it was VERY nice...but those damn huge raw files. I am someone who has terabytes of storage because of my job and even I feel that the images are going to be difficult to hold on to. I am, however, heavily considering getting a D700 instead...the prices are dipping a bit due to it being an older model and its still a damn good body. Just need to decide if I want to dive into full frame and invest in new glass etc.

As someone who has both d7000 and 700... 700 is not worth it unless you get an absolute steal on a clean body.

1.) the D700 is old, I know three - four years doesn't sound like much but many gaps were made up in the time.
2.) tougher body, but both cameras are weather sealed and well... don't drop your camera!
3.) a little enhanced in AF points, but again... this camera isn't a sports camera so its kind of a moot point.
4.) no real difference in FPS

The only difference in some dynamic range and ISO performance, but in all honesty it's not really all that better. The extra cash between the two models is your full frame sensor.

My general rule is up a model and a generation... and the 700 isn't that, IMHO.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom