Busch Gardens Tampa

fractal

Original Poster
Next weekend I'm heading to the Tampa area for a wedding. We are leaving early Thursday morning and we are planning on going straight to Busch Gardens for that first day.

The last time I was in Busch Gardens Tampa I was 9 years old ( 1976). Anybody have any tips or advise on how to navigate this park? We would like to hit the coasters first ( looking forward to Cheetah Run) and then see the animals.

SyracuseOrange

Spent a day there a few years ago...let me try to remember what happened. (Day started off with a HUUUGE thunderstorm, was so scared that we wouldn't be able to ride anything for hours! Luckily, it cleared up.)

Since most of the coasters are pretty much in a straight(ish) line to the left, most people start at the front and head back. I'd recommend walking quickly to the back, work your way front, and then hit the animals.

Have fun!

fractal

Original Poster
Spent a day there a few years ago...let me try to remember what happened. (Day started off with a HUUUGE thunderstorm, was so scared that we wouldn't be able to ride anything for hours! Luckily, it cleared up.)

Since most of the coasters are pretty much in a straight(ish) line to the left, most people start at the front and head back. I'd recommend walking quickly to the back, work your way front, and then hit the animals.

Have fun!

Thanks for the tip!

dave&di

I've got no tips but just wanted to say how much Busch gardens has improved over the last few years, you'll have a great day!

palmage

Cheetah Hunt is an awesome coaster. Lines are moderately long all day.
Don't waste your time with Gwazi, it's neck jarring.

fractal

Original Poster
Just got back from our trip. We had a very good time at BG. I took a few pictures and will provide a mini trip report of our day in Tampa. :)

devoy1701

Just got back from our trip. We had a very good time at BG. I took a few pictures and will provide a mini trip report of our day in Tampa. :)

BG is a great park that has dramatically changed over the past 5 years. We have passes for the first time in about 6 years or so and couldn't believe the difference. Glad you had fun! Not quite Disney, but BG does a lot of things VERY well .

devoy1701

Cheetah Hunt is an awesome coaster. Lines are moderately long all day.
Don't waste your time with Gwazi, it's neck jarring.

I have to disagree with both comments. Cheetah was ok...very quiet and comfortable, but overall nothing to write home about. About half of the attraction takes place in a long trench with absolutely ZERO theming...it's just a concrete base with steel walls. I "think" they were trying to simulate how a cheetah moves up and down through the tall grasses of the African Plains, but overall it's very boring. If you're going to put half the ride in a trench....theme the trench!

And Gwazi is an amazing tribute to old wooden coasters (though it's not about 15 years old as well, so perhaps it doesn't need to be called a tribute anymore)! The only wooden rollercoaster I have enjoyed more than Gwazi thus far is the Tennessee Tornado in Dollywood.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
Gwazi is an amazing tribute but there is no beating around the bush that it rattles fillings outta teeth.

inchy warrior

Ive been to BG last three years and really enjoyed my time there. I love the animals and went on the serengeti safari which was brilliant, up close and feeding the giraffes. My wife and I really impressed with the park although with the building of Cheetah Hunt it has ruined Rhino Rally, losing the water part of the ride.

However, sitting and watching the antics of Simpson the siverback and the rest of the gorillas more than makes up for that:)

Skunk

Gwazi is an amazing tribute but there is no beating around the bush that it rattles fillings outta teeth.

Truth. Sad too because it had a much smoother ride when it was new. I don't even care to ride it anymore, it's way too rough now.

Cheetah Hunt is my new favorite coaster in Florida, truly awesome ride.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom