Is This Rumor Credible (This Time)?

dreamscometrue

Original Poster
I know we read and discussed this a year or more ago, but at least 2 sites have reported permits being filed and work being done that might suggest a 'Fort Wilderness Area D.V.C.' is indeed in the works.

Not sure how credible this site/source is, but I'm sure some of you will let me know. :)

http://www..com/2012/04/02/walt-disney-world-fort-wilderness-dvc-files-to-start-construction-soon/

Also, any knowledge of permits 'danld 2000' or 'edwardtc'?

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I know we read and discussed this a year or more ago, but at least 2 sites have reported permits being filed and work being done that might suggest a 'Fort Wilderness Area D.V.C.' is indeed in the works.

Not sure how credible this site/source is, but I'm sure some of you will let me know. :)

http://www..com/2012/04/02/walt-disney-world-fort-wilderness-dvc-files-to-start-construction-soon/

Also, any knowledge of permits 'danld 2000' or 'edwardtc'?

There seems to be a lot of smoke surrounding this. And usually where there is smoke, there is fire.

prberk

I recognize the Settlement Tradiing Post and marina, but I do not regnize roads leading to the parking lot on the pic. If I am looking at this correctly, it seems like they will be putting the parking lot right where the lawnmower tree is.

And it will destroy the intent of having the beach area actually look like a seventeenth-century settlement without cars.

Bad idea if I am reading this right.

GLaDOS

I recognize the Settlement Tradiing Post and marina, but I do not regnize roads leading to the parking lot on the pic. If I am looking at this correctly, it seems like they will be putting the parking lot right where the lawnmower tree is.

And it will destroy the intent of having the beach area actually look like a seventeenth-century settlement without cars.

Bad idea if I am reading this right.

What do they care about ruining the intended look, feel, and theme of Fort Wilderness? There's easy profit to be had. Thematics can go to hell for all they care.

prberk

I can tell you that, although sometimes transportation to the Trading Posts (and parking) can be annoying when staying there, the quietness and the ability to actually let kids ride bikes and run around at FW make it all worthwhile. Having a parking lot there would completely ruin the Settlement.

I also know that the camping loops on the other side of the Settlement Trading Post are the most popular for campers. They are convenient to the store, beaches, and breakfast. It seems that these plans would plow over those popular campsites as well. This is different than what the cabins did when they installed those. They simply used the most remote (from the Trading Posts and provisions for campers) to locate the homes and cabins... which made sense, because people staying in them were less likely to be dependent on the Trading Posts for fresh provisions. (Cabins have refrigerators.)

It seems that Disney has forgotten the campers and theme. In Florida the camping industry is still important. Disney used to be a major player. The suits making decisions seem to forget that sometimes.

raven

I can tell you that, although sometimes transportation to the Trading Posts (and parking) can be annoying when staying there, the quietness and the ability to actually let kids ride bikes and run around at FW make it all worthwhile. Having a parking lot there would completely ruin the Settlement.

It seems that Disney has forgotten the campers and theme. In Florida the camping industry is still important. Disney used to be a major player. The suits making decisions seem to forget that sometimes.

Parking for the new DVC should be located on the opposite side of the structure away from the Settlement and only be connected by the road that leads to Wilderness Lodge.

On a side note, and fun one, the layout of the new DVC very much like a man riding a horse. :)

WDW1974

Not rumor (sadly).

Fact.

What was the last bastion of peace, quiet and the Vacation Kingdom of the World will become overrun with cars, buses, mulch where original pre-WDW trees stood and timeshares.

Yeah. MAGICal!

This 'news' was first spilled on another disney place by myself and the MIA Disney gadfly Lee MacDonald over a year ago.

Also, this is Disney/Iger's pedal to the floor plan to develop every inch of property as quickly as they can (for tax purposes, quick bottom line improvements and the possibility of attracting outside investment).

It is one of five (is it six if you include the EPCOT units that want to build desperately ... because EPCOT doesn't need attractions, it needs more bars and timeshares so no one has to drive home!) active DVC plans for WDW at this time.

Oh, ask yourself what solid (or even liquid) plans they have for any parks at WDW when you remove Fantasyland and the very tenuous Avatarland project from the list ... the answer would be none beyond NEXT GEN 'enhancements'.

aladdin2007

Not rumor (sadly).

Fact.

What was the last bastion of peace, quiet and the Vacation Kingdom of the World will become overrun with cars, buses, mulch where original pre-WDW trees stood and timeshares.

Yeah. MAGICal!

This 'news' was first spilled on another disney place by myself and the MIA Disney gadfly Lee MacDonald over a year ago.

Also, this is Disney/Iger's pedal to the floor plan to develop every inch of property as quickly as they can (for tax purposes, quick bottom line improvements and the possibility of attracting outside investment).

It is one of five (is it six if you include the EPCOT units that want to build desperately ... because EPCOT doesn't need attractions, it needs more bars and timeshares so no one has to drive home!) active DVC plans for WDW at this time.

Oh, ask yourself what solid (or even liquid) plans they have for any parks at WDW when you remove Fantasyland and the very tenuous Avatarland project from the list ... the answer would be none beyond NEXT GEN 'enhancements'.

Reading that makes me ill. But is this new DVC going to be another high rise??? Or a different layout like the wilderness/buffalo junction plans?

menamechris

This is what is so incredible to me. Work is being done everyone at WDW except where it really matters - the parks themselves. What good is having all these DVC's and additional hotels if you are allowing the parks to become stale and neglected? I find it amazing that people are still investing in DVC given that Disney isn't even hiding their lack of interest in further developing the parks. Once FLE is open - aside from whatever comes of Avatarland - we are seeing no real plans. And given Iger's own admission that it takes half a decade to get a project off the ground and in the park - I think we are looking to a huge period of nothingness...

slappy magoo

This is what is so incredible to me. Work is being done everyone at WDW except where it really matters - the parks themselves. What good is having all these DVC's and additional hotels if you are allowing the parks to become stale and neglected? I find it amazing that people are still investing in DVC given that Disney isn't even hiding their lack of interest in further developing the parks. Once FLE is open - aside from whatever comes of Avatarland - we are seeing no real plans. And given Iger's own admission that it takes half a decade to get a project off the ground and in the park - I think we are looking to a huge period of nothingness...

Fantasyland is in the middle of a major re-do, Star Tours 2.0 just opened up, and yeah, there's Avatar-land.

There have been times when the sentiment "nothing is being done in the parks" carried some weight. Now, not so much. What remains to be seen is how much this does to advance/enhance the parks.

menamechris

There have been times when the sentiment "nothing is being done in the parks" carried some weight. Now, not so much. What remains to be seen is how much this does to advance/enhance the parks.

It still carries weight. Fantasyland is purely from a capacity standpoint for executives. Now they most likely won't have to close the park for capacity again at the Magic Kingdom. It was about increasing the park's footprint. We aren't even getting an E ticket out of it. Sorry, but that's just crazy for an expansion of this size.

Avatarland already looks as if its dead on arrival. And while I absolutely love the Star Tours upgrade - it was just that - an upgrade. People act as if it is a completely different ride (which yes, it does feel like because of the new technology) - but the point is that we didn't call the Haunted Mansion new after its refurb....

Captain Neo

Is this timeshare business really that profitable for them? Seems like they aren't even interested in the parks themselves anymore at all. It's sad and disgusting really.

td1129

This thread proves that you people will complain about literally anything. And the funny thing is you think it makes you cool.

Lee

Adventurer
Is this timeshare business really that profitable for them? Seems like they aren't even interested in the parks themselves anymore at all. It's sad and disgusting really.
Yes, the DVCs are quite profitable.
And they do care about the parks, in so much as they see the parks as a means to sell DVC units. It's like TV. Shows are only there to sell commercial time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom