Dixie Landings?

Bowler Hat Girl

Well, Shades of Green started out as Disney's Golf Resort in the 70s and then became the Disney Inn in the 80s. I don't know if you'd count that since it's not like the other resorts anymore, but that's definitely undergone some name changes!

Upvote 0

trs518

I seem to remember hearing the Old Key West was simply known as the Disney Vacation Club Resort when it opened, because it was the only one at the time.

Upvote 0

captainkidd

The Treehouses at Saratoga Springs used to be part of what was known as the Disney Institute. In fact, if memory serves, all of Saratoga Springs now sits on what used to be the Disney Institute.

Polynesian Resort used to be known as Polynesian Village.

Before Animal Kingdom Lodge opened, it was to be called Safari Lodge.

Upvote 0

Pioneer Hall

The Treehouses at Saratoga Springs used to be part of what was known as the Disney Institute. In fact, if memory serves, all of Saratoga Springs now sits on what used to be the Disney Institute.

Before The Disney Institute existed that resort was known as the Village Resort and then a few years later became the Disney Village Resort.

Upvote 0

captainkidd

Before The Disney Institute existed that resort was known as the Village Resort and then a few years later became the Disney Village Resort.

Ohhhhh yeah - That was back in the day when only the Marketplace existed. I should have remembered that. It's in all my Pictorial Souvenier books from the late 80's.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

I am not sure this is correct. It might have been referred to as the Safari Lodge during planning but I have never seen it called any thing other than Animal Kingdom Lodge since it opened. We booked a say there nearly a year before construction was complete and it was called Animal Kingdom Lodge. My first stay there was on 5/13/2001, which was only 26 days after it opened, and all of the signage in my pictures showed Animal Kingdom Lodge.

Upvote 0

captainkidd

I am not sure this is correct. It might have been referred to as the Safari Lodge during planning but I have never seen it called any thing other than Animal Kingdom Lodge since it opened. We booked a say there nearly a year before construction was complete and it was called Animal Kingdom Lodge. My first stay there was on 5/13/2001, which was only 26 days after it opened, and all of the signage in my pictures showed Animal Kingdom Lodge.

It was never called Safari Lodge once opened, or anytime close to opening. In the 2000 edition (I believe) of Birnbaum, it stated the Lodge was being built and was to be called Safari Lodge or Wild Safari Lodge. Animal Kingdom was originally to be called Disney's Wild Animal Kingdom.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
It was never called Safari Lodge once opened, or anytime close to opening. In the 2000 edition (I believe) of Birnbaum, it stated the Lodge was being built and was to be called Safari Lodge or Wild Safari Lodge. Animal Kingdom was originally to be called Disney's Wild Animal Kingdom.
Dixie Landings to PORS, Disney Vacation Club Resort to OKW, etc are official name changes. A placeholder name given to a resort by travel guide being wrong is not, IMHO, a name change.

Upvote 0

captainkidd

Dixie Landings to PORS, Disney Vacation Club Resort to OKW, etc are official name changes. A placeholder name given to a resort by travel guide being wrong is not, IMHO, a name change.

Whatever. Who cares? The OP didn't ask for "official name changes". Should we look up the patent information to confirm all this as well?

Upvote 0

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member

What is now Port Orleans-French Quarter used to be just Port Orleans.

And, of course, several of the hotels near DtD along Hotel Plaza Drive have experienced multiple name changes.

Upvote 0

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.

Yup, When my wife and I were dating I brought her for first WDW trip and we stayed there....we had our own little villa type room if I remember right....I have to find those old photos...good times...

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom