Shore excursions: what to expect?

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
Our first cruise was 3 days and only got off the ship at CC with nothing specific planned as far as excursions or activities. Our upcoming cruise is a bit different. We're getting off the ship and have excursions planned. I'm just not sure how to expect these things to go down as far as where I'm supposed to be, when to be there, and exactly what I will need. Here's what we have so I'll let y'all fill in the blanks (if you'd be so kind :D):

Key West: Going ashore without anything specific booked. We want to rent an electric 4-seater cart (I think they look like hollow eggs with the sides shaved off). We want to scoot about the island, see the Southernmost Point, hit the Hemingway House (we finished reading 'The Old Man & the Sea' today), maybe shop a little, and I want to be sure to hit Margaritaville and Captain Tony's for at least 1 drink at each. Tracey said something about taking passports with us when we go ashore. I can't imagine why we would need to do that. We're Americans. Wouldn't our picture ID's and room keys suffice here? I guess he has a point. They have to see your passport when boarding the ship initially and we'll be departing for a foreign port so maybe we would need them. :shrug:

Nassau: I have us booked for the 9:15 Atlantis Aquaventure. This is our first DCL excursion. Where do we go to check-in or whatever it is we have to do? What do we need with us? Will we be given a card with our reservation or what? I understand towels are provided. That's cool. And we will need a credit card, not cash, for a locker and any additional purchases at Atlantis. I also understand we'll need cash to pay the cab driver returning to the ship (because I'm not taking Disney's assigned 2:15 return time when all-aboard isn't until 5). Again, will we need to take our passports with us to get back on the ship with?

CC: I think I got this one! I need to get Brian down to Marge's Barges (I think) to sign him in for the teen excursion thing. I believe later in the day when it's time for parasailing that's the same place we should go check-in for that. Like last time, towels will be provided, room keys for any purchases and reboarding the ship, no passport needed. Got that one!

Thanks for the answers to my questions. Some days I feel too guilty to bombard poor Tammy with more emails and rookie questions. :lol:

Disneyfalcon

Our first cruise was 3 days and only got off the ship at CC with nothing specific planned as far as excursions or activities. Our upcoming cruise is a bit different. We're getting off the ship and have excursions planned. I'm just not sure how to expect these things to go down as far as where I'm supposed to be, when to be there, and exactly what I will need. Here's what we have so I'll let y'all fill in the blanks (if you'd be so kind :D):

Key West: Going ashore without anything specific booked. We want to rent an electric 4-seater cart (I think they look like hollow eggs with the sides shaved off). We want to scoot about the island, see the Southernmost Point, hit the Hemingway House (we finished reading 'The Old Man & the Sea' today), maybe shop a little, and I want to be sure to hit Margaritaville and Captain Tony's for at least 1 drink at each. Tracey said something about taking passports with us when we go ashore. I can't imagine why we would need to do that. We're Americans. Wouldn't our picture ID's and room keys suffice here? I guess he has a point. They have to see your passport when boarding the ship initially and we'll be departing for a foreign port so maybe we would need them. :shrug:

Nassau: I have us booked for the 9:15 Atlantis Aquaventure. This is our first DCL excursion. Where do we go to check-in or whatever it is we have to do? What do we need with us? Will we be given a card with our reservation or what? I understand towels are provided. That's cool. And we will need a credit card, not cash, for a locker and any additional purchases at Atlantis. I also understand we'll need cash to pay the cab driver returning to the ship (because I'm not taking Disney's assigned 2:15 return time when all-aboard isn't until 5). Again, will we need to take our passports with us to get back on the ship with?

CC: I think I got this one! I need to get Brian down to Marge's Barges (I think) to sign him in for the teen excursion thing. I believe later in the day when it's time for parasailing that's the same place we should go check-in for that. Like last time, towels will be provided, room keys for any purchases and reboarding the ship, no passport needed. Got that one!

Thanks for the answers to my questions. Some days I feel too guilty to bombard poor Tammy with more emails and rookie questions. :lol:

:lol: I don't mind! But this way you may get more opinions!

You do not need your passports to get on and off your cruise (there are a few possible exceptions to this on Med cruises and Alaska cruises). The only thing you will need are your Key to the World cards and maybe a government ID for adults. But everyone definitely needs their Key to the World cards.

For your DCL excursion, when you get to your stateroom there will be excursion tickets there. They'll give you a time and place to meet. No passports in Nassau either.

jme

Exactly what she said, typical meeting spots are in the the theaters, and you will be given a color coded sticker (like Purple Mickey or Blue Donald, etc.) Then you will play follow the leader with a CM to your excursion, or in this case, bus.

And just a note, you won't ever NEED your passports, not even to board the ship. The only situation you need one (other than med, and alaskan cruises) is if you have an emergency and need to return home early from a foreign port.

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
:lol: I don't mind! But this way you may get more opinions!

You do not need your passports to get on and off your cruise (there are a few possible exceptions to this on Med cruises and Alaska cruises). The only thing you will need are your Key to the World cards and maybe a government ID for adults. But everyone definitely needs their Key to the World cards.

For your DCL excursion, when you get to your stateroom there will be excursion tickets there. They'll give you a time and place to meet. No passports in Nassau either.

Thanks, Tammy. I know you have a cruise to be getting ready for and prob'ly worn-out from all the free dining frenzy. I really was trying to save you the trouble of my endless narcisistic questions. :D

Exactly what she said, typical meeting spots are in the the theaters, and you will be given a color coded sticker (like Purple Mickey or Blue Donald, etc.) Then you will play follow the leader with a CM to your excursion, or in this case, bus.

And just a note, you won't ever NEED your passports, not even to board the ship. The only situation you need one (other than med, and alaskan cruises) is if you have an emergency and need to return home early from a foreign port.

Thank you so much! My husband is Mr.Be-Prepared. He swears we have to have our passports on us at all times when off the ship other than at CC but I don't think so. Maybe before the use of the Key to the World cards because you are you and the CM sees a pic of you when they scan your card to reboard. It's not like someone is stealing your key card and helping themselves to your stateroom. I don't like the thought of carrying the passports around regularly so much because I know I'd be the one having to carry them and it'd be another thing I was extra alert about NOT losing or having stolen. The key cards are much more convenient to carry! So thank YOU! :wave:

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes

Good to know :wave:

Phonedave

Thanks, Tammy. I know you have a cruise to be getting ready for and prob'ly worn-out from all the free dining frenzy. I really was trying to save you the trouble of my endless narcisistic questions. :D

Thank you so much! My husband is Mr.Be-Prepared. He swears we have to have our passports on us at all times when off the ship other than at CC but I don't think so. Maybe before the use of the Key to the World cards because you are you and the CM sees a pic of you when they scan your card to reboard. It's not like someone is stealing your key card and helping themselves to your stateroom. I don't like the thought of carrying the passports around regularly so much because I know I'd be the one having to carry them and it'd be another thing I was extra alert about NOT losing or having stolen. The key cards are much more convenient to carry! So thank YOU! :wave:

I was leery about it as well, because at Nassau, you don't just get on the ship. You have to passu through Nassau customs first before you get to the ship boarding process. Nassau customs just wants to see your KTTW card, no passport necessary.

-dave

flynnibus

Premium Member
Disney will collect your passport info when you checkin. From there, your Key to the World is your ID for boarding the ship at all ports.

There is a passport exception for ships that leave and return via the same port.. and passport cards are good for land/sea crossings. The reason to have the passport is because if you must deviate from the ship's return for some reason, you need a way to get back into the country (or potentially enter other countries). Passport books are recommended because they give you the most flexibility.

jme

Good to know :wave:

No problem.
Just so you know (and have something to back this up with) here's the exact terms used by the Department of Homeland Security.

ENTRY / EXIT REQUIREMENTS: All U.S. citizens traveling outside of the United States are required to present a passport or other valid travel document to re-enter the United States. This requirement was extended to all sea travel (except closed-loop cruises), including ferry service on June 1, 2009. Travelers must now present a Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) compliant document such as a passport or a passport card for entry to the United States. While passport cards and enhanced driver’s licenses are sufficient for entry into the United States, they may not be accepted by the particular country you plan to visit; please be sure to check with your cruise line and countries of destination for any foreign entry requirements.

NOTE: Be aware that Caribbean cruises that begin and end in the U.S. (closed loop cruises) do not require that you travel with a valid passport. However, should you need to disembark due to an emergency and you do not have a valid passport, you may encounter difficulties entering or remaining in a foreign country. You may also have difficulty attempting to re-enter the United States by air because many airlines will require a valid passport before allowing you to board the aircraft. As such, we strongly recommend that you always travel abroad with your valid passport.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/ppt_card/ppt_card_3926.html

That being said, some people feel safer bringing them, just in case. It's totally your call, but it certainly not a 'requirement'.

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
jme, thank you so much for the direct info. That helps. Now when the hubby thinks I'm full of crap and don't know what I'm talking about I have proof! :lol:

GMRO

That's the great thing about this board...the HELP! You can usually get the info you need from good WDW folks.

If your hubby is still concerned...just make xerox copies of your passports and carry them. Lock your real ones in the safe in your stateroom.

As many have said your KTTW card gets you the ID you need as long as your sticking with the program per say. We always carry our passport copies with us in our take along bags just in case. We leave one copy at home in the fire proof safe...take the original and another set of copies to use if needed. Once we check in with DCL we put the originals in a safe place till we get on board and lock'em up.

GOOD LUCK AND ENJOY YOUR CRUISE!!!

Phonedave

jme, thank you so much for the direct info. That helps. Now when the hubby thinks I'm full of crap and don't know what I'm talking about I have proof! :lol:

The info posted, while factual, does not pertain to this situation.

That info is for entry back into the US - at the end of your cruise. You do not currently need a passport at all to take a closed loop cruise (although it is HIGHLY recommended).

What we are talking about here is getting off and back on the ship in a forigen port. You don't need a passport for that either.

-dave

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
The info posted, while factual, does not pertain to this situation.

That info is for entry back into the US - at the end of your cruise. You do not currently need a passport at all to take a closed loop cruise (although it is HIGHLY recommended).

What we are talking about here is getting off and back on the ship in a forigen port. You don't need a passport for that either.

-dave

Exactly. That's what I needed! :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom