Innoventions Habit Heroes closes for rework

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Guess TDO didnt really think this one through and they got called out.

Should happen more often really...

I thought it was a really well done attraction. Anything that promotes fitness and healthy living is a good thing in my opinion. The USA certainly needs all the help it can get in that area.

njDizFan

It makes me wonder why, after years and years of a fairly vocal Disney fanbase complaining about broken attractions or other TDO blunders that Disney would back down to this group of people.

Although looking at America and 1/3 of the population being overweight they certainly do not want to alienate a large base of fans.

Kind of sad when saying the right thing has such a huge backlash.

hpyhnt 1000

Was wondering if/when this would happen. The obvious problem I saw was that there would be limited participation in the ending dance game. But I'm sure there were some complaints about the whole eating healthy theme, which I am sure some read to be "Disney hates fat people."

Hopefully the attraction isn't scrapped completely. Its an important subject that deserves attention.

t3techcom18

It makes me wonder why, after years and years of a fairly vocal Disney fanbase complaining about broken attractions or other TDO blunders that Disney would back down to this group of people.

Although looking at America and 1/3 of the population being overweight they certainly do not want to alienate a large base of fans.

I'm guessing it's because this came out yesterday:

http://www.canada.com/health/Disney+slammed+anti+obesity+attraction+Habit+Heroes/6205156/story.html#ixzz1nKpUqE8s

coolbeans14

that article is a little extreme. i watched a video of this, and to be honest i see very little wrong with it. I actually thought the idea was good, and needed.

I do wonder though, whether the same would happen if the attraction opened abroad outside of america.

njDizFan

Wow pretty scathing article. Comparing Disney to the school bully and not concentrating on the real problem of obesity. No one wants a kid to feel embarassed or ashamed while on vacation(especially). But I believe the message is correct. Although I do agree the problem is not the childs fault. It's up to the parrent to allow for proper nutrition and good habits. That is not so easy today with the advent of our fast food nation and multiple income family scenarios. But it does come down to the responsibility of the parent to model good behavior.

Not to get too political but this has a similar backlash as when Michelle Obama started her advocacy for better nutrition in schools.

"Nobody is going to tell me what I should look like or what I can eat" mentality.

asianway

I don't think anyone would disagree with the message, it is the manner it was delivered and the context it is placed in( a parks blog who promotes churros and mickeys premium ice cream bars as a rite of passage)

What you need to do is make the author of the original article aware of your site and that this is only the tip of the iceberg. They obviously have the publics ear.

As you can see, the only way TDO will react quickly to change is if there is any type of bad press

NewfieFan

Yeah, I started a thread yesterday with some links to blogs that were giving it criticism... but I had no idea about it closing to be reworked!
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=833138

How much flack did they get over this I wonder? Or was it just a little and then Disney panicked at the threat of bad press?

Pioneer Hall

If the attraction is getting reworked, I hope it is in execution and not message. I don't think there is a problem with promoting healthy habits, but on an attraction level I didn't think it was executed all that well.

WDWFigment

I thought it was a really well done attraction. Anything that promotes fitness and healthy living is a good thing in my opinion. The USA certainly needs all the help it can get in that area.

I absolutely 100% agree with your last sentence and the spirit of your second sentence. (I actually would have agreed with it until I actually experienced this attraction--it proved to me that some things that promote healthy living are actually bad things!) I couldn't disagree more with your first sentence.

This attraction was far from a "good thing." It was a train-wreck of an attraction that was terribly executed and was incredibly awkward to experience in-person. When we were there a couple weeks ago, it really didn't seem like anyone (except a couple kids) had a good time with it.

That said, like I said above, I totally agree with you about Americans needing an attraction with this type of message. The message just needs to be presented in a better package.

I am sort of curious, besides the message, what about this did you think made it a good attraction? I'm genuinely curious, not trying to be sarcastic.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
If the attraction is getting reworked, I hope it is in execution and not message. I don't think there is a problem with promoting healthy habits, but on an attraction level I didn't think it was executed all that well.

What was your issue with the execution? I thought that for an Innoventions exhibit it was probably second only to Sum of All Thrills.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I am sort of curious, besides the message, what about this did you think made it a good attraction? I'm genuinely curious, not trying to be sarcastic.

For an Innoventions attraction, I thought there were a number of plus points. There was actually a sense of Imagineering quality to the wait area and the pre-show room Some nice details, and some real effort.

The actual game systems were quite comprehensive for an Innoventions exhibit. They do come from Space Mountain, Toy Story Mania, and Soarin, but even so, to include them in Innoventions shows some ambition for this attraction.

Solidifying all that would be the actual message of it. I was very pleased to see someone having the guts to really tell everyone the reality of health and fitness. American (and England) needs a good dose that.

As I was saying before, I would say it was the best Innoventions addition after Sum of All Thrills.

Pioneer Hall

What was your issue with the execution? I thought that for an Innoventions exhibit it was probably second only to Sum of All Thrills.

I didn't really understand the point of the teams since you were never shown a score in anything you did. The first two activities seemed fine, but the last one didn't even try to seem like it was part of a game. In essence I didn't have a problem with anything we did, I just kind of want them to tie up the loose ends. I went through it during testing, so things might have changed.

njDizFan

For an Innoventions attraction, I thought there were a number of plus points. There was actually a sense of Imagineering quality to the wait area and the pre-show room Some nice details, and some real effort.

The actual game systems were quite comprehensive for an Innoventions exhibit. They do come from Space Mountain, Toy Story Mania, and Soarin, but even so, to include them in Innoventions shows some ambition for this attraction.

Solidifying all that would be the actual message of it. I was very pleased to see someone having the guts to really tell everyone the reality of health and fitness. American (and England) needs a good dose that.

As I was saying before, I would say it was the best Innoventions addition after Sum of All Thrills.
Hey Steve why no trip report?;)

how often do you get to go to WDW BTW?

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
TDO does not make all the decisions. The specific departments do that!

People like you are so uninformed.

Actually they make the final decisions on the little things in the parks, like rides, attractions, restaurants; you know, minor calls here and there that impact WDW....

asianway

Someone just tweeted that this basically the same message that Kitchen Kabaret had. Maybe they should look into that...

Pioneer Hall

TDO does not make all the decisions. The specific departments do that!

People like you are so uninformed.

Each department reports to someone up the line. That line usually ends at what we know in some form as TDO. An attraction (even one like this) is not decided on without approval way up the line.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom