Is getting a Disney Visa card worth it...

Joshua&CalebDad

So I am wondering if getting a Disney Visa card is worth trying to get. Is it easy to rack up points and then redeem them on your Disney trip? I have a trip planned for the end of November and I was thinking about getting one. Does anyone have the card and what do you do to try and rack up the points? Can you get points for anything you purchase or use the card for (i.e. bill/mortgage)? Thanks for taking the time to read this and reply. I look forward to hearing back from everyone. :wave:

Pioneer Hall

They now have two Disney cards. The free one will get you 1% on your purchases that you can redeem for Disney spending. The new premier card costs $49 a year and gets you 2% back on restaurants, gas, and most Disney spending it seems. Then you get the normal 1% on everything else. Personally, I don't think the Disney card is really a great card. You can do better with rewards elsewhere and then just use them towards a Disney trip if you would like. I have the free card and keep it only for the rare time that there is a good discount or benefit you need to have it for. Otherwise it sits in my wallet and only gets used every couple of months just to keep it active.

Upvote 0

ToTBellHop

I actually like my Disney Visa. I pay it off completely every month and have never paid a finance charge (the interest rate is higher than you might find elsewhere, so if you can't pay it off each month, it's not worth it), but in the two years that we've had the card, we've racked up about $500 reward dollars for Disney trips. They have a promotion every once in awhile where you can get double points on certain items.

I've been pondering whether or not the premier card is worth the $49 annual fee...I dunno...

Upvote 0
We love our Disney Rewards card. We have the $0 apr one that earns 1%. We used it for everything. Groceries, gas, fast food & anything else we'd normally use a debit card or cash for. We pay it off every month too. Otherwise it wouldn't be worth it. I deduct the money right out of my checkbook when I make a purchase so i don't think that I have more money than I truly do.

In a 9 month period of doing this, we estimate that we'll have $200+ Disney dollars saved. I told my husband if we continue to go every other year then we could have about $600 saved by next time.

It's nice too that you get 0% interest for 6 months on your vacation package too.

Although we'd probably benefit from the other card where you pay an annual fee, I think we'll just stick to this one for now.

Upvote 0

ann0d

The only thing I could not put on my visa was our school and property taxes, just the way our county runs it. Oh and my mtg, because that came directly out of checking account, we get a discount. Otherwise I put everything on the Disney card, and pay it off every month. We racked up tons of points. Especially when my stepson was in college! But we always paid it off every month. Otherwise the finance charges get you.
ONe year we bought our tickets with the points, one year we had paid for most of our dining, last year we put money towards the cruise, this year putting it towards the vacation. Really helps out.

Upvote 0

GMRO

Personally wife and I like the card. Been a member of the free card for a few years now. And recently just upgraded to the new Premier Signature Card. By our trip this May I suspect we will have close to $600 in Disney money on a gift card to spend while on our trip. We use it daily to pay for all we can - including utilities etc. Then pay it all off at the end of each month.

Past 2 years we got $350 to spend - we consider it extra. Now with the same spending habits throughout the year and the new card we should have darn close to 60% more due to the 2% the Premier card offers.

If you travel to Disney often it makes sense. If not - yes there are other cards out there with what most folks would consider a higher return. But add the 10% discount on $50 Disney merchandise purchases at most properties, check for that - some offer the discount some do not, and 0% on your trips for 6 months for us it was a no brainer. We go to the WORLD each year and this extra spending money we get thru the Disney Rewards Visa program helps.

GOOD LUCK on your decision!

Upvote 0

harryk

Been using the free card for several years now and have found it to be a great way to pick up extra $$ for use in the parks. We use it on the Dining Plans for the items not covered by the plan - i.e. wine, etc. It has come in handy in DTD when shopping. To date the savings have been well worth it.
We charge everything on the card, food, fuel, gas, airline tickets, cruise tickets and the points really add up. Would not consider a card which has a fee attached to it. Go for it and you will find over time it is worth it.
Some venues at WDW give a discount for using the Disney Visa rewards card.:xmas::xmas:

Upvote 0

Philhar-Fanatic

We've had ours for about 3 years now and love it. Like others have waid we use it for ALOT of everyday things then just pay it off at the end of every month. Whatever we have on the card when we go is used for souveneers! We go to WDW yearly and have about $200 to play with!

Upvote 0

lebeau

We upgraded to the premiere card. The math worked out for us that I expect to come out ahead inspite of the fee. There are probably cards where I could get better rewards. But I like using my Disney card. It's totally illogical. But if nothing else you can get the free card and use it for discounts, etc.

Upvote 0

sbkline

We have the Disney Visa card and I use it for pretty much anything that I can use it for: gas, groceries, going out to eat, etc. I figure that whatever we spend our money on, we're spending that money one way or the other, whether we pay cash, check or credit card, so if we're spending the money anyway, we may as well put it on the card and get points for it. As others have said, we pay it off every month which shouldn't be hard as long as you don't go out and spend a bunch of money just because you have a credit card.

Now, unless your November trip is a once in a lifetime thing, or you don't plan to go back for quite a while, I would suggest holding on to your points for a future trip. Unless you spend an awful lot of money each month, you're not gonna rack up that many points by November. My credit card bill is around $1500 or $1600 a month, which would be about 16 points per month. Between now and November, that would be about 160 points (dollars), which isn't really that much. We got our card in 2010, just in time for our April 2010 trip. In almost 2 years now, I have over 600 points accumulated and some of that is from some big spending we did last year, such as remodeling the bathroom, as well as putting our April 2011 trip on the card, as well as another vacation which we took to Mackinaw Island in Michigan. But barring big ticket items like vacations or home improvement projects, we would be gaining about 16 points or so per month. I'm putting this coming April trip on our card, as well as a shorter November trip, and I plan to cash out our points for our April 2013 trip to use to pay all of our dining. I'm hoping by next April, to have anywhere from 800 to 1,000 points, which can then make a big dent in the expenses of the trip. But a couple hundred bucks isn't going to make a huge dent, so I would suggest holding onto them for a year or two.

Upvote 0

sbkline

They now have two Disney cards. The free one will get you 1% on your purchases that you can redeem for Disney spending. The new premier card costs $49 a year and gets you 2% back on restaurants, gas, and most Disney spending it seems. Then you get the normal 1% on everything else. Personally, I don't think the Disney card is really a great card. You can do better with rewards elsewhere and then just use them towards a Disney trip if you would like. I have the free card and keep it only for the rare time that there is a good discount or benefit you need to have it for. Otherwise it sits in my wallet and only gets used every couple of months just to keep it active.

Are you sure it is restaraunts? I was told that you get the 2% off of gas and groceries.

Just an FYI to anyone who is thinking about getting this card, make sure that the place where you get your groceries at is coded as a grocery store. My wife and I work at a Walmart Supercenter and we do 99% of our grocery shopping at Walmart. I asked the Disney Visa rep on the phone if that would qualify as a grocery store for the purposes of the 2% rebate and she said she doesn't think so because Walmart is considered a "general retailer". I then asked one of my managers at work last night and he said the same thing. So if you do your grocery shopping at Walmart, you will NOT get the extra 1% in rebate.

For me, that was reason enough not to get the Premiere card. Because then, I would be relying on my gas purchases to get me the extra 1%. I did the math and found that it wouldn't be saving me anything. I'm not sure exactly how much we spend on gas per month, but I'm guessing around $400 a month. That would be $4800 a year. Maybe even round it up to $5000 a year to take into account our annual trip. So that would be around $50 of Disney rewards points per year on gas. The Disney Premier Visa card costs $49 a year, so the extra points I would get on gas would pretty much go to pay the annual fee. It's possible I may come out 3 or 4 dollars ahead if I was underestimating my gas costs by a few hundred bucks, but certainly not worth the hastle of getting the card.

Upvote 0

Minnie1976

We have had one since they first came out. Yes, it is worth it even if you just use it to book your Disney trip or purchase items while at Disney. We found other cards give us a better return, but always book Disney with their card and use for purchases while there. When my husband booked my segway tour at Disney, we got a discount because he used the Disney card. I think you also get 10% or 15% off purchases at Disney(not use if all stores or just certain ones) and also 6 months to pay for your trip interest free when you book it.

Upvote 0

sbkline

If, after further research, I were to conclude that the Premiere card would be of benefit to me, would all of my current rewards points be transferred to the new card?

And I was just re-reading what Disney Insider posted and he said something about the Premier card getting you and extra 1% on most Disney items. Does that include stays at the WDW resort, and all (or most) of the spending that would take place there? We still owe a little over $700 on our upcoming April trip, so if I were to upgrade to the premiere card and then pay that balance on the new card, could I get 2% on that $700? What about all my spending at WDW when I am there, such as restaraunts (since I am not on the dining plan this time), souveniers, etc?

Since we're going for 4 nights in November, and we go every April, then that could definitely sway things in favor of getting the Premiere card, if I could get extra points for WDW trips.

Upvote 0

lebeau

If, after further research, I were to conclude that the Premiere card would be of benefit to me, would all of my current rewards points be transferred to the new card?

Yes.

We still owe a little over $700 on our upcoming April trip, so if I were to upgrade to the premiere card and then pay that balance on the new card, could I get 2% on that $700?

Not sure but I doubt it.

I should also mention that they have a promotion right now where instead of just getting 2% you get 5% when you upgrade. Obviously, that's for a limited time. I forget how long though.

What about all my spending at WDW when I am there, such as restaraunts (since I am not on the dining plan this time), souveniers, etc?

I think these qualify.

Since we're going for 4 nights in November, and we go every April, then that could definitely sway things in favor of getting the Premiere card, if I could get extra points for WDW trips.

You might want to call, but I think everything would qualify except maybe paying the balance on the trip you already took.

This is from the Chase site:

You earn 2% in Disney Dream Reward Dollars on card purchases at gas stations, grocery stores, restaurants and most Disney locations. For all your other card purchases, you earn 1% in Disney Dream Reward Dollars.

Upvote 0

sbkline

You might want to call, but I think everything would qualify except maybe paying the balance on the trip you already took.

This is from the Chase site:

You earn 2% in Disney Dream Reward Dollars on card purchases at gas stations, grocery stores, restaurants and most Disney locations. For all your other card purchases, you earn 1% in Disney Dream Reward Dollars.

We did not already take the trip. We're booked at CBR for April 12-22 2012. I currently owe a balance of a little over $700, due on or before check in. Hypothetically, if I were to call today and upgrade to the Premiere Card, I was wondering if, when I charge the remaining balance of my trip on my new card, I would get the extra percentage point on that $700 some odd dollars.

I guess I'll give them a call here in a little while once I park my daughter in her high chair for lunch.

Upvote 0

lebeau

We did not already take the trip. We're booked at CBR for April 12-22 2012. I currently owe a balance of a little over $700, due on or before check in. Hypothetically, if I were to call today and upgrade to the Premiere Card, I was wondering if, when I charge the remaining balance of my trip on my new card, I would get the extra percentage point on that $700 some odd dollars.

I guess I'll give them a call here in a little while once I park my daughter in her high chair for lunch.

Here's a Q&A on the Disney Blog where they address some of these questions:

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...-visa-card-launches-with-8-exclusive-designs/

Upvote 0

Pioneer Hall

Are you sure it is restaraunts? I was told that you get the 2% off of gas and groceries.

Just an FYI to anyone who is thinking about getting this card, make sure that the place where you get your groceries at is coded as a grocery store. My wife and I work at a Walmart Supercenter and we do 99% of our grocery shopping at Walmart. I asked the Disney Visa rep on the phone if that would qualify as a grocery store for the purposes of the 2% rebate and she said she doesn't think so because Walmart is considered a "general retailer". I then asked one of my managers at work last night and he said the same thing. So if you do your grocery shopping at Walmart, you will NOT get the extra 1% in rebate.

For me, that was reason enough not to get the Premiere card. Because then, I would be relying on my gas purchases to get me the extra 1%. I did the math and found that it wouldn't be saving me anything. I'm not sure exactly how much we spend on gas per month, but I'm guessing around $400 a month. That would be $4800 a year. Maybe even round it up to $5000 a year to take into account our annual trip. So that would be around $50 of Disney rewards points per year on gas. The Disney Premier Visa card costs $49 a year, so the extra points I would get on gas would pretty much go to pay the annual fee. It's possible I may come out 3 or 4 dollars ahead if I was underestimating my gas costs by a few hundred bucks, but certainly not worth the hastle of getting the card.

From the website...

With Disney's Premier Visa® Card you earn 2% in Disney Dream Reward Dollars on purchases made at gas stations, grocery stores and restaurants – plus, on purchases at most Disney locations.

Upvote 0

sbkline

I just called and talked to a Rep at the Disney Visa card and she said that stays at WDW owned and operated resorts DO qualify for the 2% points, including the remaining balance that I owe for our upcoming April stay at CBR. And for the first 3 months after upgrading, anything that would qualify for the 2% will actually get 5% points. So since we go to WDW every year and spend around 4 or 5 thousand dollars, the extra points from that would be enough to offset the $49 annual fee and thus, make it worth it for me to have the card.

In addition, this particular rep told me that Walmart is classified as a grocery store for the purposes of this card so, if she gave me correct information, then I will get the 2% on our grocery shopping at Walmart. But whether she is correct on that part or not, it sounds like I would still get enough extra rewards points throughout the year to offset the $49 annual fee and still get extra points on top of that, so I went ahead and signed up for the card.

Now, since our trip is in 6 weeks, all the money we spend on dining will bring us 5 times the amount of rewards points than they would have before. :sohappy:

Upvote 0

Disnee4Me

I've had my card since Day 1 (in early 2003) and when we finally got to WDW for Christmas 2007, we had earned 1,148 point, so we had four free tickets and a couple of hundred dollars off of our hotel bill. And then while we are there, we use the card the whole time. I too charge just about everything and then pay the bill off. It's really helping with one son in college and then the second one starting in 2013. Right now I've got over 900 points on my card, and with hopefully a trip to Italy this summer, when we next go to WDW (Christmas 2013), we'll have earned enough points to also have a free resort.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom