Bob Iger on CNBC ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
Just a heads up, but the Weatherman will be on CNBC very soon to preview Disney's quarterly earnings. Should be bland.

And, no, no E-Ticket announcements for WDW.:ROFLOL:

CORRECTION: someone in the office either misheard or the CNBC folks weren't clear ... Iger will be on tomorrow apparently!
Will update as I hear.

HMF

Bob Iger is always bland as hell. Say what you will about Michael Eisner but at least he had charisma

WDW1974

Original Poster
Funny how Iger refers to the results based on the strength and quality of the BRAND.

Just a few years ago, Disney would have touted the strength and quality of its PRODUCT.

Have to digest the numbers, but they seem like what was expected ... and typically strong based largely on ESPN and Disney Channel ... getting him to say anything positive about ABC was like pulling teeth.

And still haven't heard him mention WDW ... although apparently they are saying Guest spend was up at P&R, but I'm not sure what metrics were being used there.

Naturally, he plugged the Avengers, which I have zero interest in.

The thing to take from this for P&R lovers is that SIXTY percent of operating revenue comes from broadcast networks (mostly ESPN) ... that is dependent on many outside factors (imagine if the NBA season didn't happen!)

Pioneer Hall

I doubt anyone is paying attention ... they are busy giving free consulting work to Disney on the latest never-ending FP thread! :rolleyes:

Ha yeah. The pencil pushing (nearly) MBA in me sometimes has CNBC on in the background. My roommate says that what I'm watching sounds boring...

I believe the number thrown out for P&R was that operating revenue was up 18% in the quarter which is a pretty insane number. It also sounded like DCL (or just the fantasy) is 75% booked for the upcoming year even with them raising capacity nearly 40%.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Funny how Iger refers to the results based on the strength and quality of the BRAND.

Just a few years ago, Disney would have touted the strength and quality of its PRODUCT.

Remember the absolute slaughtering the Disney execs (Iger in partcular) took from Roy Disney during the SaveDisney years at the shareholders meeting for calling Disney a brand. I believe Roy said something along the lines of a brand is something that goes on cattle. Disney is not a brand.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Ha yeah. The pencil pushing (nearly) MBA in me sometimes has CNBC on in the background. My roommate says that what I'm watching sounds boring...

I watch CNBC pretty much daily, but it can be scary.

It is total propaganda for Wall Street and big business. They don't care about how Americans are doing, just corporations!

I believe the number thrown out for P&R was that operating revenue was up 18% in the quarter which is a pretty insane number. It also sounded like DCL (or just the fantasy) is 75% booked for the upcoming year even with them raising capacity nearly 40%.

The margins are certainly improving for P&R, although how they got there is more interesting. And we know the Christmas season is always strong and this year Disney had a new huge cruise ship and new resort in Hawaii to help as well but ... The driver for Disney right now (and for years now) is ESPN. That is where the action is.

And, yeah, Iger did say that ... but he also admitted that the Costa disaster was having some affect on bookings for DCL.

BTW, Disney is apparently down one percent in after hours trading, which shows you how tough it is to please Wall Street.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Remember the absolute slaughtering the Disney execs (Iger in partcular) took from Roy Disney during the SaveDisney years at the shareholders meeting for calling Disney a brand. I believe Roy said something along the lines of a brand is something that goes on cattle. Disney is not a brand.

Yep ... I thought that was a great comment by Roy. Eisner would sometimes refer to Disney as a brand in his later years and Iger just took it and ran with it ... if you want to be something special and unique (in other words, something Disney always was) you don't paint yourself as simply another BRAND on the shelf.

I don't get why Disney's 'intelligent' team in Burbank didn't years ago say 'we can't refer to ourselves as a BRAND, we have to place ourselves as something more' ... but Disney isn't paying me a seven figure consulting check ... those go to folks like Shell Holtz and Tom Kelly ... folks that break the product.

~New Coke for all!~

CBOMB

It's a shame that presently no one of any importance within the corporate structure of Disney shares Roy Disney's sentiment anymore.

CountryBearFan

It's a shame that presently no one of any importance within the corporate structure of Disney shares Roy Disney's sentiment anymore.

Nuh-uh-uh. No jumping to conclusions.

Don't pick little things apart. Choices of words don't always mean things, so please stop reading into them.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Nuh-uh-uh. No jumping to conclusions.

Don't pick little things apart. Choices of words don't always mean things, so please stop reading into them.

Actually, at his level, the choice of words someone like Bob Iger makes is both important and meaningful. He is, after all, speaking for an entire corporation.

jt04

Have to digest the numbers, but they seem like what was expected ... and typically strong based largely on ESPN and Disney Channel ... getting him to say anything positive about ABC was like pulling teeth.

And still haven't heard him mention WDW ... although apparently they are saying Guest spend was up at P&R, but I'm not sure what metrics were being used there.

Naturally, he plugged the Avengers, which I have zero interest in.

The thing to take from this for P&R lovers is that SIXTY percent of operating revenue comes from broadcast networks (mostly ESPN) ... that is dependent on many outside factors (imagine if the NBA season didn't happen!)

This made me chuckle.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom