Decorating Resort rooms?

Howe

Hi all!

Just curious if any of you have decorated your windows or doors at your WDW resort rooms in the past? I've read about people doing it, just wanted to get some opinions!

We are going Dec 17-23, so we planned on bringing some Christmas decor to put inside our room for some holiday spirit! Now I'm thinking maybe a wreath on the door or some lights in the window? This is my first trip staying on property, so I'm not sure if anyone does this! Thanks in advance :xmas:

minniemickeyfan

You will be completely within the norm for decorating your window. I think some people say its easier on mousekeeping if you use suction cups instead of any kind of tape. I have found various sizes of suction cups at the local hardware store that you can purchase individually.
People decorate year around too with various themes. This past summer my daughter brought and hung her Build a Bear Minnie Mouse in the middle of the window and then hung all of her princess outfits around her. Have fun!

Upvote 0

mickeysshoes

The year we were in WDW for Christmas I brought a small Christmas tree for our room...it was only about 18" tall but it was perfect to set on the table in our room. We drove that year so it was easy to do!!!

Upvote 0
We stayed at POR last December and there were lots of windows and doors decorated. We saw a lot of windows with decorations and lights. There were also things decorating doors as well. We flew so we did not get in on the decorating. Next time we go in December I might just have to put a string of lights in our suitcase. I had not been in December for a few years and do not remember seeing people use Christmas lights but had seen plenty of decorations in windows. Had I known about the lights I would have packed a sting of lights. Have fun with it!! Enjoy your trip!

Upvote 0

harryk

We fly so we do not bring any decorations --
Have seen lights, ornaments, decorations, wreaths, trees and what ever hung from balconies, on windows and doors. Go for it. :xmas::xmas::xmas::xmas: :xmas::xmas::xmas:

Upvote 0

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
There are so many decorations put up in the parks and the resorts by Disney that I really don't think it is necessary to do the room as well. Save the hassle and baggage issues. But as others say, quite a few do it, so if you want to, you would certainly not be the only one. Have a great trip!

Upvote 0

sweetpee_1993

Planning is key! When choosing your decorations be sure to consider how you will attach or display each piece. You do not want to use anything that leaves any permanent marks. No tape, staples, or anything that could leave a sticky residue. Disney can impose additional cleaning or repair fees is you do. So think about window clings, suction cups to hold up lights (as the other poster mentioned), magnetic door decorations, etc. I love seeing windows & doors decorated year-round. It's so festive and shows the excitement of that family. Have fun and bring back pics! :wave:

Upvote 0

Bigeagle

We started decorating our vacation rooms several years ago, when our daughters were younger. After reading how others had decorated, it sounded like fun so we secretly purchased Disney Character window clings from places like Dollar Tree or Wal Mart (lots of Princess stuff, especially), along with an appropriate party-type banner. Depending on when you travel or what occaion you're celebrating, party shops have some great items that may meet your needs, too. At POR, the room windows and mirrors make great places to put the clings, they're cheap, and they're easy to remove later. When we arrived at our resort room, we surprised our girls with their decorating duties. It actually offered several benefits:

First, it made our room feel like our special place, and our girls loved the surprise!

Second, while my wife and I worked to get us moved into our room, we let the girls decorate. They had fun, and it occupied them while we did the dirty work--arranging, unpacking, figuring out what we forgot to bring, and marveling at the stuff that made the trip (LOL).

Third, it made our room easier to identify from the outside--the window clings made our window "different".

Decorating the room has become a tradition--even if we're not at WDW. We did a "fish/sea life" theme for our trip to Seaworld last summer, and even appropriately decorated a different hotel room we stayed in for the Selena Gomez concert in St. Augustine! That's not too far from the Disney Princesses, but as our girls get older, we have some great memories.

Upvote 0

Howe

Original Poster
Thanks for your input!!

I will definitely be using suction cups/magnets, and other mousekeeping friendly things. I don't want to make anyone's life harder!

We LOVE Christmas (we're those people), and it's hard for me to imagine living in a room without decorations for the week before Christmas! We'll probably keep it simple with a wreath on the door and lights in the window. I'll try to post pictures when we get back!

Good point about it making your room easier to find! We are staying at Pop so that will help. I don't think I would do it if I were staying at a deluxe resort, but since we are at a value, why not cheese it up a little bit! :)

Thanks for all the ideas!

Upvote 0

Magical.Animal

Just curious... is it typical for people to decorate their windows for Halloween as well? I am heading to the World on Friday with my parents and little brother. This is their first time staying on property and I am getting there a few hours before them and have a bunch of Halloween decorations packed already so I can decorate the window/room before they arrive, to make their virst on-property stay THAT much more magical! I anticipate I won't be the only one decorating, but what do you think? Thanks!!

Upvote 0

Disaddict

Just curious... is it typical for people to decorate their windows for Halloween as well? I am heading to the World on Friday with my parents and little brother. This is their first time staying on property and I am getting there a few hours before them and have a bunch of Halloween decorations packed already so I can decorate the window/room before they arrive, to make their virst on-property stay THAT much more magical! I anticipate I won't be the only one decorating, but what do you think? Thanks!!

We do. See below. As a matter of fact I am going to cut a piece of plastic the exact size of the window and then decorate it here before we fly down. That way all I will need to do is take it out and hang it up. Easy peesy lemon squeezy. I use 3M removable (clear) tape. You can get it in any Home Depot. Oh, and if you want to use a set of lights then bring an extension cord. Just unplug it before you leave for the parks. Fire regulations say that an extension cord is not to be used continually like that for very long, even if the item is turned off.

Upvote 0

Scuttle

Hi all!

Just curious if any of you have decorated your windows or doors at your WDW resort rooms in the past? I've read about people doing it, just wanted to get some opinions!

We are going Dec 17-23, so we planned on bringing some Christmas decor to put inside our room for some holiday spirit! Now I'm thinking maybe a wreath on the door or some lights in the window? This is my first trip staying on property, so I'm not sure if anyone does this! Thanks in advance :xmas:

2 years ago someone in a MK view at the Contemporary put Christmas lights across the entire balcony railing. It looked amazing and you could see it even from the GF!

Upvote 0

harryk

Thanks for your input!!

I will definitely be using suction cups/magnets, and other mousekeeping friendly things. I don't want to make anyone's life harder!

We LOVE Christmas (we're those people), and it's hard for me to imagine living in a room without decorations for the week before Christmas! We'll probably keep it simple with a wreath on the door and lights in the window. I'll try to post pictures when we get back!

Good point about it making your room easier to find! We are staying at Pop so that will help. I don't think I would do it if I were staying at a deluxe resort, but since we are at a value, why not cheese it up a little bit! :)

Thanks for all the ideas!

We stay at the Delux Resorts and many of the guests put up decorations not only on the doors and windows but on the balconies too!!!

Upvote 0

Magical.Animal

We do. See below. As a matter of fact I am going to cut a piece of plastic the exact size of the window and then decorate it here before we fly down. That way all I will need to do is take it out and hang it up. Easy peesy lemon squeezy. I use 3M removable (clear) tape. You can get it in any Home Depot. Oh, and if you want to use a set of lights then bring an extension cord. Just unplug it before you leave for the parks. Fire regulations say that an extension cord is not to be used continually like that for very long, even if the item is turned off.

Awesome, thanks!!! Very funny... I have that SAME light up ghost Mickey in the bottom center of your window. I have his brother the pumpkin, as well! They are 2 of my favorite halloween decorations!

For stickyness, I bought some small 3M Command hooks, made for hanging decorations. They said they would make no mess, so I figured mousekeeping wouldn't be too upset with me. I have a bunch of window clings and signs to hang, a battery operated strobe light (thought it would be a nice touch in the window) and a package of "Spider Webs" that I was going to put inside the window. As you can see, my focus is more on the window, than the room, because I want to see the look on their faces when they realize the window that's all done up is ours :)

2 more days... I am SOOOO excited I can barely sleep at night any more!!

Upvote 0

hankhill

We just went for the first time last year at Christmas and did bring a small tree and a small portion of our Disney decorations for it and the window. It was a ton of fun, kept the spirit in the room and was great for the kids. They even opened their stockings under the "tree" Christmas morning. We are upping it this year as we are going back. Have a ball with it. It reminds me of Christmas at college...

Upvote 0

EvilQueen-T

we did ours when we stayed at pofq over christmas 2008. we brought a 3 ft pink christmas tree that i got for $10 and decorated it with princess ornaments and mardi gras masks to match the theme of the resort. we also hung a strand of purple and green christmas lights in the window and added more masks to them. it's the only time i've done it but we plan to do it again when we go for our trip later this year.

Upvote 0

koryadams

I only started doing window decorating when stayed at Coronado Springs resort because there was a window next to the door where you can see when you walk by. And when I stayed in the cabins, I did bring halloween decorations (very few) and put in the windows and such. But I couldn't really do anything for Kindani Village.

(I decorate with merchandise I have gotten on that particular trip)

But The only time I would really decorate is for christmas...but still not sure. (I could since I drive to WDW every time)

I don't know how to upload a picture on here....I would show you my decorated window lol

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom