Is anyone from the Disney family still involved with the company?

Tinkerbell 8

Original Poster
My DH asked me this the other day, and the only thing that I knew off the top of my head was that Roy O. Disney resigned in (I believe 2005?) and I thought he was the last Disney family member involved with the company. Does anyone know if the family is still involved in any way? If they aren't did they sell the rights/share, or what exactly happened? Thanks!

boufa

A very brief search on the company said that no one with the name Disney is on it. Could still be a cousin or a married type relative with a differently name might be there.

As for ownership, its a public company. Lots of people and companies own a piece. Steve jobs is the only one who owns more than 5%. He is the largest shareholder, worth more than 5 billion dollars... 138,000,000 shares. He would be the closest thing to an owner that they have, but its not real... not like Walt owned it.

Pioneer Hall

Operationally, none of the Disney's are still involved. Roy was the last one, and he passed away not too long ago. Walt's surviving daughter will occasionally make a statement, but usually only if it has something to do with her father.

TP2000

My DH asked me this the other day, and the only thing that I knew off the top of my head was that Roy O. Disney resigned in (I believe 2005?) and I thought he was the last Disney family member involved with the company. Does anyone know if the family is still involved in any way?

Roy O. Disney died in 1971, two months after Disney World opened in October.

Walt's widow, Lillian, passed away in 1997.

Roy's son, Roy E. Disney, who was still involved with the Company business until 2006, passed away back in 2009.

Ron Miller (Walt's son-in-law and former Disney CEO forced out by Eisner back in '83) and his wife Diane (Walt's daughter) are both still alive and well and living in Northern California. Neither one of them provide any services to the current Disney Company. Diane and Ron run the absolutely fabulous Walt Disney Family Museum in San Francisco, but the musuem is not formally associated with the company that still bears Walt's name.

There is no one left from the Disney family, by name or by marriage, involved with the Disney Company.

mharrington

There is no one left from the Disney family, by name or by marriage, involved with the Disney Company.

And now there won't be anyone there anymore to save the company if the stock price goes down. Roy E. was the only one who saved the company - both in 1984 AND 2004, first to bring Eisner in and then to take him out. Now that Roy is gone, who can save it now if anything happens to it?

Scuttle

And now there won't be anyone there anymore to save the company if the stock price goes down. Roy E. was the only one who saved the company - both in 1984 AND 2004, first to bring Eisner in and then to take him out. Now that Roy is gone, who can save it now if anything happens to it?

Lasseter is our ONLY hope. The way he talked about how DCA at the D23 not being up to Disney park standards makes me believe he really cares about the product and company.

MarkTwain

Lasseter is our ONLY hope. The way he talked about how DCA at the D23 not being up to Disney park standards makes me believe he really cares about the product and company.

Difference being that Lasseter is employed directly to Iger, and as far as I know doesn't have too significant a stock in the company... whereas Roy owned one of the largest stakes in the company, and at the time of the "Save Disney" campaign was employed to no one. Although both figures have been great for protecting the Disney quality and image, I think it would be far more difficult for Lasseter to stage a "Save Disney"-style shareholder revolt if Iger were to ever step out of line.

To be honest, I'm not sure who is left that is really capable of such a thing...

mharrington

Difference being that Lasseter is employed directly to Iger, and as far as I know doesn't have too significant a stock in the company... whereas Roy owned one of the largest stakes in the company, and at the time of the "Save Disney" campaign was employed to no one. Although both figures have been great for protecting the Disney quality and image, I think it would be far more difficult for Lasseter to stage a "Save Disney"-style shareholder revolt if Iger were to ever step out of line.

To be honest, I'm not sure who is left that is really capable of such a thing...

Hence, why I'm concerned that now that Roy is gone, nothing can save the company now. If Iger goes out of line or the stock price drops big time, the company may no longer be.

Walts legacy

My DH asked me this the other day, and the only thing that I knew off the top of my head was that Roy O. Disney resigned in (I believe 2005?) and I thought he was the last Disney family member involved with the company. Does anyone know if the family is still involved in any way? If they aren't did they sell the rights/share, or what exactly happened? Thanks!
Hence, why I'm concerned that now that Roy is gone, nothing can save the company now. If Iger goes out of line or the stock price drops big time, the company may no longer be.

Hi im new. I hope peaple still read this. Because I have somthing to say..

I may be a small person with huge dreams. And even though im only 22 and dont mean anything to a massive company like disney. I belive I can make a change. I am studying at university to work for the walt disney company. When I found out that there are no more disney family members and that diane disney miller had died last year I got very upset.
I am so concerned about the welfare of the company I plan to get as high as I can go in the walt disney company so I can make a change to ensure that walts legacy will not be destroyed.....walt disney world was his dream and I dont whant to see it become another company that has shut down.... when I get to this stage I need peaple who will help me make the right decisions. Thats all you guys.... I really do care about what happens with the parks and the other facilities disney offers. But ill need help getting there. AS LONG AS THERES A VOICE THEY WILL LISTEN.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom