AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

S.E.A.

I love how people are talking about how great WWoHP is...and that Avatar won't beat it and that it doesn't fit the theme of the Animal Kingdom.

How does WWoHP fit the them of an island? Remember...Islands of Adventure were differently themed islands.

Marvel Superhero Island. It is an island Metropolis.
Toon Lagoon. An island where all the comic strip toons lived.
Jurassic Park. That took place on an island.
Seuss Landing. They took the world of Dr. Seuss and put the characters on an island.
The Lost Continent. An continent is essentially a large continent.

Hogwarts and the land of Harry Potter did not take place on an island...yet nobody is up-in-arms over the placement of it.

Avatar...which takes place on a beautiful planet where life is one with the planet...and has extraordinary creatures, plants, animals, waterfalls, floating islands, etc...doesn't fit into a park whose theme is focused on animals and the environment.

Whuh?

My point is...WWoHP didn't fit the overall theme of the park...but it works.
Avatar...which may not fit into the "EARTH" theme of the park...but it may just work!

People need to open their minds and think outside the box!

Islands of Adventure never had a cohesive theme and that's fine for that park, it ain't no Animal Kingdom, or it wasn't.

I find it funny though that everyone's praising this upcoming Avatar land for its speculated lush greenery and expanded alien vistas but completely ignoring the fact that it may very well materialize as a giant Military Base, especially given Cameron's penchant for such things. With lots of guns, machines and robots.

montyz81

5 years is a long time to wait for this!. I feel really bad for Epcot. With Fantasyland and Avatar, this means Epcot will become even more neglected.

Prototype82

Uh, I'm pretty sure that 'land' is called North America. The mid-Atlantic region, to be exact.
Okay, I used to fantasize about them building a North American land with a deer reserve, caribou and grizzlies...But is there a demand to see North America while living in North America? With that have the impact that a Blockbuster movie will? I think there ought to be a Pocahontas ride, but Pandora has potential for some insanely innovative Imagineering. Like I said, you'll be able to take it much more seriously than a 3D show about talking bugs...

WDWmazprty

Islands of Adventure never had a cohesive theme and that's fine for that park, it ain't no Animal Kingdom, or it wasn't.

I find it funny though that everyone's praising this upcoming Avatar land for its speculated lush greenery and expanded alien vistas but completely ignoring the fact that it may very well materialize as a giant Military Base, especially given Cameron's penchant for such things. With lots of guns, machines and robots.

Maybe, but I think Disney would make sure it would materialize more towards the lush green landscape than the a military base.

Scuttle

I think the synergy of Imagineering and James Cameron will only help the films and possibly propel the stories told by the films to a level they might not have reached otherwise. Truly a win-win.

It's going to be truly groundbreaking. Cameron working with imagineers has limitless potential. I don't know why people aren't understanding this. We are going to see ride technology that we have never seen before. Imagine what the interactive queues will be like as well. This is going to be amazing whether you agree with the decision or not.

devoy1701

mwa ha ha ha.... :drevil:

Pioneer Hall

Let's be real here, do you really think Disney would look at AK and go "We should create the military base aspect of this movie" I have about as good a chance of winning the lottery tonight of that happening.

But just in case we want confirmation...this is straight from the boss himself. Looks like we are going to Pandora.

Jenna from Winnetka, Ill., asks, “What types of attractions will be in AVATAR land?”

This was hands-down one of the most popular questions we got and understandably so. While we’re still in the very early stages of design and planning, we expect this land to be anchored by multiple attractions, entertainment, merchandise locations, restaurants and other immersive elements. Our AVATAR lands will give guests the chance to see, hear and touch the world of Pandora and we can’t wait to dive in with James Cameron and his team as we create new experiences that will delight and thrill our guests.

Answering Your Questions About AVATAR at Disney Parks

SleepingMonk

The Fantasyland budget has been varied between $300 and $500 million with the inclusion the Snow White coaster. No hard numbers have been released.

And so far we've seen everything from $200 to $800 thrown around for the new Avatar land.

Let's assume $500 is close to the truth for both new expansions.

Unless they take over an already existing land at AK and repurpose current rides that doesn't leave much for an "incredible immersive experience".

One new major ride with gift shop at exit, one attraction, one table or one quick service.

I don't see the money going much further than that.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

If it was going in any other park I would agree 100%. Since it is going in a Disney park and especially AK I think the land will have a much more happy, tree hugging, one with nature feel to it. I am sure we will see some of the military elements form the first movie in the land but I can see them being re-purposed for visitors vs conquerors.

danpam1024

James Cameron is not only a visionary but a perfectionist. Between him and the WDI crew i really expect something amazing, especially if it going to be a whole land. Also think about what the animals and land for Pandora are based on...the ocean. Maybe we will be getting some much needed bio-luminescent aquatic life at Animal Kingdom?

This is a nice surprise. I am pumped.:sohappy:

So is George Lucas and the Star Tours experience is just ok. Star Wars as a franchise has nearly infinate possibilities AND SPANS GENERATIONS and they gave it an ok ride when it should have had an entire land in DHS.

SleepingMonk

Cameron working with imagineers has limitless potential. I don't know why people aren't understanding this.

Because while their imaginations are limitless their budgets are not.

And from what we've seen recently regarding finance and new projects for Florida the chances are pretty good this will be another "cut and gut" before it's all said and done.

S.E.A.

Let's be real here, do you really think Disney would look at AK and go "We should create the military base aspect of this movie" I have about as good a chance of winning the lottery tonight of that happening.

But just in case we want confirmation...this is straight from the boss himself. Looks like we are going to Pandora.

Jenna from Winnetka, Ill., asks, “What types of attractions will be in AVATAR land?”

This was hands-down one of the most popular questions we got and understandably so. While we’re still in the very early stages of design and planning, we expect this land to be anchored by multiple attractions, entertainment, merchandise locations, restaurants and other immersive elements. Our AVATAR lands will give guests the chance to see, hear and touch the world of Pandora and we can’t wait to dive in with James Cameron and his team as we create new experiences that will delight and thrill our guests.

Answering Your Questions About AVATAR at Disney Parks

Yeah i do think Disney would look at AK and create a military base to please James Cameron, it makes about as much as sense as an alien planet taking up shop in that park.

Funny, I wouldn't be surprised if it was the Military Base and the way you get to see hear and touch the world of Pandora is through manning one of those robots or having an Avatar of your own, you get to experience Pandora virtually. This would then also explain how one could be roaming around the place without dying of its poisonous gases.

WDWFREAK53

I don't doubt, for a second, that there will be a military presence in the "land." That's part of the "world." I would imagine that it would be kept within the confines of an attraction though (although, AMP's here and there wouldn't be bad.)

The world of Avatar (not Pandora) does have the military presence...but the majority of that "world" focuses on the conservation of the beautiful landscape.

WDWmazprty

I don't doubt, for a second, that there will be a military presence in the "land." That's part of the "world." I would imagine that it would be kept within the confines of an attraction though (although, AMP's here and there wouldn't be bad.)

The world of Avatar (not Pandora) does have the military presence...but the majority of that "world" focuses on the conservation of the beautiful landscape.

This.

WDWFREAK53

Because while their imaginations are limitless their budgets are not.

And from what we've seen recently regarding finance and new projects for Florida the chances are pretty good this will be another "cut and gut" before it's all said and done.

...not if James Cameron's name is on it.

He fronted like $250 million of his own dollars so that Avatar could be made the way he wanted it made. He has a vision and he'll do what it takes to make his vision become a reality.

SleepingMonk

...not if James Cameron's name is on it.

He fronted like $250 million of his own dollars so that Avatar could be made the way he wanted it made. He has a vision and he'll do what it takes to make his vision become a reality.

I guess we'll have the next six years or so to find out.

:snore:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom