Just Bcuz It Says Deluxe, Doesn't Mean It Is !!!

erinshaneb

We just returned from our week at WDW yesterday and I will be posting a trip report when i get a spare minute, but I did want to share this. We started out our trip at OKW, and it was so horrible we had to be transferred to AKL...I was shocked, I assumed that since OKW was a deluxe villa resort it would be up to Disney's standards..NOT EVEN CLOSE !!! I could have stayed at the Motel 6 and had nicer accommodations...It started out okay, we were greeted as we got off of Magical Express by a wonderful women that welcomed my daughter as "princess" and said "welcome home" and walked us inside and then it went downhill from there...She dropped us off at the counter that to me was a bit childish..they had ballons made into shapes of letters spelling out Welcome Home scotch taped the wall behind the counter (oh well, that may be just a matter of opinion)...The lady that checked us was non-chalant about the whole thing and then when I asked her where we were to go now she pointed out the parking pass in the folder..i told her we didn't drive, we flew and she said "oh, head back outside and see bell services..they will help you"..so we tromped back out side and waited in the heat for 15 minutes as they tried to figure out what to do..we had a crib and stroller deliverd to the resort, the crib was found, but not the mattress..then the stroller was found, but the lady that found it couldn't get it down, so the guy she sent back there to find it couldn't find it and it was just a mess..they finally load us onto a dirty golf cart that belched diesel smoke all over us the whole way to the room..The bell services guy was not very friendly and even had the stroller hanging half off the golf cart and I was very afraid it would fall off and I would be responsible....Finally we get to the room and were kinda underwhelmed....we have stayed at All-Stars Movies, Carribbean, Coronado, and AKL and there is a "Disney" standard that all resorts have (regardless of price level)..the room seemed a little dirty, but since we checked in before noon we thought that maid service might not have been there and decided to not worry too much, we unpacked and headed to the park since last year we miss Fantasmic and my daughter was soo upset..That night when we returned we discovered all the other problems..I have taken pics so that you can see i am not a nut case whose standards are way to high...Other than an over-all unfriendly atmosphere (we passed about 20 employees and not one said anything to us) we found these major problems..

• Hair dye all over the tile in both parts of the master bathroom
  • Shower head constantly dripped and leaked
  • Cracked tile in the master bath
  • Urine stains (or lack of cleaning) at the toilet
  • Mold all over the window in the shower
  • Access door for jacuzzi tub had broken lock and instead of fixing it they wedged a piece of cardboard in the door to keep it closed (my 20 month old found it crawled under the tub IN the dirt they had been sweeping in there)
  • A/C access door also had broken lock and it would swing open all the time
  • Leaves all over porch that had been there so long some were starting to rot apart
  • Lock on patio door broken
  • Cart path for golf course less than 5' from patio
  • All tile and shelves in bathroom covered in dust
  • No toiletries left in master bath
  • Fan in master bath covered in dirt and made horrible noise
  • Handles on TV cabinet broken and just spun around
  • Broken wire on light in 2nd bedroom
  • All lights in 2nd bedroom would be one brightness when you turned them on, then dim to almost unusefulness after 3 minutes
  • Fire hose connection outside of villa (glass box on wall) was missing the hose and a fire extingusher was just stuck in the case
  • Dirt and mold all over door threshold going to patio

I can excuse a little dirt (that can always be cleaned), but the safety issues are unexcuseable !!! This was NOT a Disney hotel..this is our 7th trip in 10 years and we were shocked at the state of this resort..When we returned back to the resort that night and discovered all these issues we heade to the front desk to speak to someone....He offered to move us to another room and at that time, my husband was done...we decided to just move to AKL (which we should have stayed at in the first place, but I wanted to try somewhere different)..They called AKL, made the arrangements and apologized..They did say they were going to credit the cost of the room for the night..When we got to AKL after being at the park on Monday, there was NO reservation !!!! They called, but never transferred us!! So it took another 30 minutes at AKL to figure it out and fix the situation..we did get the credit, but I am not that worried about that...I do have to say the rest of the stay was as it should be...DISNEY quality to the nines....We tried to explain to the people at OKW that when you spend almost 5k on a vacation certain things should be a given...they are clueless, when we left the front desk at OKW we wanted to get some cokes..the store was closed so we asked if they had vending machines and they DIDN'T KNOW !!! He said he could call someone, but......NEVERMIND....I don't think I will ever get my husband to try a "new" place at WDW again...I can say that in the end Disney made good (as if they wouldn't), but it's a damn shame that the first two days of our vacation were filled with such hassles....I am so dissappointed, to me Deluxe Villa MEANS deluxe Villa...there should be a standard across the board for that level and OKW was NO WHERE NEAR IT !!!

https://picasaweb.google.com/110030352883970304605/OKW#

This is a photo album to all the pics

crispy

Those pictures are awful! Yuck! Did you write a complaint letter. I definitely think you should and send those pictures with it.

Upvote 0

BLTLDZ

That is unacceptable!
I'm confused though..I received a copy of disney files magazine, and it said that OKW was just completed with a whole refurbishment :shrug:

I am glad you were able to move...that would have really disappointed me as well!

Upvote 0

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
I'm actually currently booked for OKW in February because it's all they had that week...it will be my first stay as a DVC member. Now I'm REALLY hoping one of the resorts I'm on the waitlist for becomes available!

Upvote 0

erinshaneb

Original Poster
I'm actually currently booked for OKW in February because it's all they had that week...it will be my first stay as a DVC member. Now I'm REALLY hoping one of the resorts I'm on the waitlist for becomes available!

My hubby told them he was getting ready to write them a check this year for the DVC deal, but was gonna have to seriously rethink it after seeing the accommodations...they didn't seem to care..I hope for your sake that either something else opens up or your room is up to Disney standards

Upvote 0

nerdboyrockstar

There is nothing about that room that says Deluxe.. or even Value, for that matter. Truly awful. I'm glad you were able to switch to AKL. I switched there too after a bad experience with another Disney property.

Upvote 0

smk

We had issue with water ( soaking, like a splashing sound when stepped on)_ on the carpet in our room last year, at Sports. Our daughters room had only hot water and she burned her bum in the shower, they eventually had to move everyone out of the building to fix the water issue. We went to the front desk and everything was handled so fast and with no problem at all. I never felt so taken care of, reallly. Our night was totally refunded for both rooms without even so much as a request from us to do that.

I am sorry you felt so under valued at OKW! The manager there is obvioulsy not up to WDW standards! From the looks of things in the pictures, the place could use some love.

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

OMG!!! That is terrible!!! I am not into the DVC properties as a rule as they dont fit for my party mix when I travel, but that is just unacceptable!!! I am glad that you did enjoy your time at the AKL. Marie

Upvote 0

hajenga

Wow

I'm leaving in 4 days for my first Disney World trip (sinse I was a kid). Will be staying at a Value Resort, Pop Century. I don't care if its ultra delux or base budget....... that room in your pictures is totally unacceptable:hurl::hurl:.

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

Hajenga, I have stayed at every level of resort on Disney property and havent ever seen anything like this. I cant imagine that your experience will be similar at all. If there is a problem though, be sure to report it so it can be made right or you can be moved to a room that is right. Marie

Upvote 0

captainkidd

That was absolutely disgusting. Disney should be ashamed of themselves. I honestly think Disney should reimburse at least 3 nights, or offer 3 free nights for a future stay. That was unacceptable at any level of Hotel.

Upvote 0
I'm very sorry to hear that you had such a hard time at the beginning of your trip. :( That room was nasty looking. Honestly, I have seen gas station bathrooms that looked in better shape.

As for everyone saying that the room was even up to Value standards, let alone Deluxe.... The Value and the Deluxe, as well as the Moderate all have the same cleanliness, and "freshness" standards in the rooms. There are no differences. The only differences in the rooms (besides layouts) are the services offered at each resort. I think it would be better to say that the OKW room the OP had was not up to Disney standards and maybe not even up to a "Pay by the Hour" hotel. Ewww.

Upvote 0

erinshaneb

Original Poster
I'm very sorry to hear that you had such a hard time at the beginning of your trip. :( That room was nasty looking. Honestly, I have seen gas station bathrooms that looked in better shape.

As for everyone saying that the room was even up to Value standards, let alone Deluxe.... The Value and the Deluxe, as well as the Moderate all have the same cleanliness, and "freshness" standards in the rooms. There are no differences. The only differences in the rooms (besides layouts) are the services offered at each resort. I think it would be better to say that the OKW room the OP had was not up to Disney standards and maybe not even up to a "Pay by the Hour" hotel. Ewww.

THIS was our point!! We have stayed at all different levels and there was ALWAYS a Disney standard that held up..the only difference in the levels is the decor, the spaces and such..upkeep, maintenance and cleanliness has never been an issue...I will be sending an email to Disney themselves along with the pictures so they can see what their resort has come too..i have to admit that it was handled very quickly, ONCE we got to AKL..they seemed to have it together, even after the manager at OKW dropped the ball and didn't transfer our reservations..I do understand that sometimes things break and they don't always know right away, things happen..but that had been like that for a long time, bcuz they wedged cardboard in the door and were using it to sweep dirt into...

Any suggestions on where I should send the email too?

Upvote 0

Spike-in-Berlin

Exactly, our room at the Pop was in perfect condition as was our room at the CS.

Upvote 0

Todd L

I don't care what level of room you stay in at what time of year ....that's just horrible and I can't imagine How they thought this was acceptable! Please write a letter and send your pictures .

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom