Animal Kingdom Scavenger Hunt

gwhb75

Original Poster
We are currently on vacation at WDW. Today we were in the Animal Kingdom and were stopped by a CM who asked our kids (10 year old girl and 8 year old boy) if they wanted to help out with a test they were doing. They are testing a scavenger hunt at the Animal Kingdom, where each person is given a worksheet that directs you to a place in the park and gives you a few tasks to complete at that place. After you are done the tasks you go to a designate place and show the cast member what you did in the area, and if it is done correctly you get a sticker showing you've completed that area's task. It only took about 5 minutes to complete the task. Once they were done there was a short questionnaire asking what we thought about the scavenger hunt. One question said "if there were 20-50 of these types of scavenger hunts throughout the park, how many do you think you would do?". Just thought it was kind of interesting given they seem to be doing a more interactive but similar type of think at Magic Kingdom, as well as having Kim Possible at Epcot.

Pioneer Hall

Long standing rumor that AK will be getting an interactive game as well. Sounds like the testing is underway now, so I guess we will see that in the next year or so.

Sounds like a good idea, but a simple sticker reward is a lilltle lame. After all, you can get those for free anywhere in Disney. Maybe a bigger reward for finishing say 20 or so tasks could get families to spend an entire day in the park? Free snack credit coupon for the kids under 12 who participate maybe?

SAV

I agree with roadtripper. A sticker isn't going to do it for most folks. Most will want something bigger and the free snack is a great idea if you complete let's say 20 of them.

I know my kids would love to do it when we are there next time if it is available since they really like the Kim Possible at Epcot.

Captain Hank

Is the test version themed to the Wilderness Explorers from Up, by chance? I noticed a few Wilderness Explorer badge graphics around the park today, as well as a few new little elements, like additional signs in the Kilimanjaro Safaris queue and Guests wearing Junior Wilderness Explorer badge stickers.

njDizFan

I agree with roadtripper. A sticker isn't going to do it for most folks. Most will want something bigger and the free snack is a great idea if you complete let's say 20 of them.

I know my kids would love to do it when we are there next time if it is available since they really like the Kim Possible at Epcot.
Dont underestimate the lure of stickers for the under 10 set. My daughter(8), would love to have a booklet with stamps. She still plays with her completed stamped "passport" from the AK trails.

gwhb75

Original Poster
Is the test version themed to the Wilderness Explorers from Up, by chance? I noticed a few Wilderness Explorer badge graphics around the park today, as well as a few new little elements, like additional signs in the Kilimanjaro Safaris queue and Guests wearing Junior Wilderness Explorer badge stickers.

Interesting...One of the questions in the survey was how familiar are you with the characters from UP. I guess it is tied to it. My kids did get the WE stickers for their shirts.

gwhb75

Original Poster
Sounds like a good idea, but a simple sticker reward is a lilltle lame. After all, you can get those for free anywhere in Disney. Maybe a bigger reward for finishing say 20 or so tasks could get families to spend an entire day in the park? Free snack credit coupon for the kids under 12 who participate maybe?

In the questionnaire at the end, there was a question about what "prize" do you think would be good for finishing tasks. A sticker was one option, but they also had things like pins or badges (but you would need to pay for those).

gwhb75

Original Poster
I think an Interactive Game would be great at Animal Kingdom; given the space the park has and its lack of stuff to do.

All depends what you mean by lack of stuff to do. Thrill rides are definately lacking, but we were there about 6 hours on Thursday, and still hadn't seen any of the shows or walked any of the trails. I think there's lots to do, it all depends on what a person likes. For instance, we spent about 45 minutes at the Conservation Station going to the petting zoo and we watched a surgery being done on a turtle. I would say we could spend a good 1.5 days just to really do everything, but that's just my opinion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom