Carrying a DSLR around Disney

Aroleggim

Original Poster
So for all of you who lug a DSLR around Disney world what do you do when you go on rides without the camera (Splash Mountain or Rock n Roller Coaster)? I travel with a wheelchair and usually leave stuff in a bag there while on the rides. However going with a DSLR I'm worried about it getting stolen. What do you guys do? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Monorail Lime

The camera bag I take in the parks is small enough to carry on to most rides. I would NEVER leave my gear unattended in the parks, no way!

SRisonS

I carry my camera on everything. For Splash Moutain, i'll just throw the camera in a bag, and that's usually enough. Or if I don't have a bag, just cover it with my shirt. For coasters, I either strap the camera across my body, or put it in my bag and stick my legs through that bag's straps.

For the most part, your stuff will probably be safe just leaving it with the wheelchair. But I wouldn't test those waters with something that valuable. Plus, how else could I take shots while on the ride!?!?! ;)

CP_alum08

I carry my camera on everything. For Splash Moutain, i'll just throw the camera in a bag, and that's usually enough. Or if I don't have a bag, just cover it with my shirt. For coasters, I either strap the camera across my body, or put it in my bag and stick my legs through that bag's straps.

For the most part, your stuff will probably be safe just leaving it with the wheelchair. But I wouldn't test those waters with something that valuable. Plus, how else could I take shots while on the ride!?!?! ;)

:sohappy: So true!

I carry around my camera (and all the extras) in a backpack; the Lowepro Flipside 200. It's big enough to carry the body and 3 lenses and it still fits easily on every ride. Some bags have a 'rain poncho' attached to them that you can cover the bag with for rides like Splash, although I've never had an issue.

One thing I do not do (when I don't take the bag and just take a one lens set-up) is put the camera in the little netting on the rides. No way. I trust myself much more than those nets. I've gone on RnR countless times with the camera cross-body and tucked between me and the harness. But that is with a relatively small lens, probably wouldn't work to well with a 70-200mm!

NowInc

I just bring a water proof camera bag. I have yet to have any issues with it in any theme park (small enough to carry on rides at disney and easily fits inside those stupid required lockers at universal).

Now a tripod is a whole other issue.

Aroleggim

Original Poster
Sounds good! I wasn't sure how difficult it was to carry bags onboard because I've never actually seens the different sizes they come in and such. I also had no idea that you could just throw it over your shoulder or RnRC and it would be okay. And I've never taken on ride photos before (never REALLY interested into photography until this year) so that'll be something I'll get to play around with next time I go. I've never had problems with leaving stuff on the wheechair in a bag, but since it's my first DSLR and I'm young and broke, I don't think I'll take any chances. Thanks for the help!

Theosus

Sounds good! I wasn't sure how difficult it was to carry bags onboard because I've never actually seens the different sizes they come in and such. I also had no idea that you could just throw it over your shoulder or RnRC and it would be okay. And I've never taken on ride photos before (never REALLY interested into photography until this year) so that'll be something I'll get to play around with next time I go. I've never had problems with leaving stuff on the wheechair in a bag, but since it's my first DSLR and I'm young and broke, I don't think I'll take any chances. Thanks for the help!

My adventura 140 from lowepro was perfect last year. Holds a dslr and a filter and battery. Very light and easy to carry.
Took a lowepro compudaypro 250 backpack this time. Holds four ponchos, autograph book, Dslr, card, point and shoot, batteries, lenspen, and other small things. I had no problem fitting it on any ride.
It was a little tight on space mountain, but a LOT of people have book back size packs. The workers didn't say anything on any ride, even tower of terror or Rockin roller coaster.
I was really pleased with the bag, and there's enough padding if some water splashes on it, it's not going to hurt anything. It will dry plenty quick in July!

celticdog

The only ride that was a tight fit for my bag was Mission:Space. The pop out drawer was a bit small. I use a Tamrac Expedition 3. It's a backpack style. I would wrap the shoulder straps around a leg for rides like RNR, Space Mtn, etc, and it did just fine.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom