Pirate Party Outfit Ideas

erstwo

Original Poster
I would love to see some outfits that have been worn on the Pirate Party night! So if you've been on a DCL cruise and have photo of your family at the Pirate Party, I'd love to see it!

At a minimum, I'll be dressing myself, my 7 year old son, and 5 year old daughter (my husband has a Captain Hook costume already) this summer!

Thanks in advance!

sweetpee_1993

I'm interested, too!

I don't know that I want to spend a whole lot, tho. I'm thinking of finding some "Goonies Never Say Die" shirts for all of us and leaving it at that. :D

happymom52003

There were not alot of people dressed up on our cruise, which I found disappointing. In fact, in the dining room at dinner my family was the only ones I saw that were dressed for the theme. However, while walking around the ship that evening we did see some people in full costumes.

I did not want to spend alot of money either, and did not want to pack alot since we combined our cruise with WDW, so we kept ours simple and used items that we could wear during other parts of our vacation. I wore black capri pants with a black and white striped top (I had planned on tying a red scarf around my waist as a sash, but ended up not having time to shop for one before the trip) and big hoop earrings and a bunch of bangle bracelets.
My husband and son both wore pirate t-shirts and pirate mickey ear hats (we had bought them at WDW a few years ago for the Pirate and Princess Party). My daughter wore white capri pants with a black peasant top and a red sash around her waist and bangle bracelets.

It was fun!

Disneyfalcon

We're the sad people who don't dress up. My hubby says if he can't get an awesome pirate jacket like Brent and the other officer's wear, he's not doing it. :lol:

Also, have you ever searched for a women's pirate outfit? It's hard to find one that's not skanky!:lol:

We do always put on our pirate bandanas they give us though! :)

Disneyfalcon

Here's Dd in her bandana. We bought her the shirt in Nassau that day:

CruiseDay3b047.jpg

Here's sil and friend on our girl's cruise:

GirlsCruiseb127.jpg

Okay, I don't have my bandana on yet, but I will! I promise!:)

DoublooninTortola002_filtered.jpg

Here's Mom, ds, and dd being very piratey:

DoublooninTortola027_filtered.jpg

This is a kind of scary picture :lol::

Pirate_Night.jpg

sweetpee_1993

:ROFLOL:

The guys with the butter knives clenched in their teeth are great!

Um, yeah, was doing some searching for ladies pirate costumes last night and *yikes* at the skank-factor in a lot of them. Unless you pay the big bucks for the well-made period costumes you're relegated to some pretty yuck-o stuff. I need to get me some ideas together. I can sew pretty readily and my MiL is an extremely skilled seamstress. I think we might could come up with something fairly basic to get the point across without looking skanky or el-cheap-o.

Brian (DS13) already has his gauzy pirate shirt from the Pirates League. I could either make or purchase similar shirts for the hubby & Chandler (DS15). They could wear these with jeans with the right accessories like rags on the heads and sashes around the waist, maybe an eye-patch. Heck, I could do the same! :D

Disneyfalcon

:ROFLOL:

The guys with the butter knives clenched in their teeth are great!

Um, yeah, was doing some searching for ladies pirate costumes last night and *yikes* at the skank-factor in a lot of them. Unless you pay the big bucks for the well-made period costumes you're relegated to some pretty yuck-o stuff. I need to get me some ideas together. I can sew pretty readily and my MiL is an extremely skilled seamstress. I think we might could come up with something fairly basic to get the point across without looking skanky or el-cheap-o.

Brian (DS13) already has his gauzy pirate shirt from the Pirates League. I could either make or purchase similar shirts for the hubby & Chandler (DS15). They could wear these with jeans with the right accessories like rags on the heads and sashes around the waist, maybe an eye-patch. Heck, I could do the same! :D

Yep, that's my dh on the left in the orange shirt! Lovely. :lol:

Exactly!! Huge skank factor!!:lol:

ChuckElias

I have to be honest, I don't do much for Pirate night. My biggest "costume" was a Jack Sparrow (Captain. Captain Jack Sparrow) hat. But I only did that once, because it got pretty squished in the packing and unpacking.

erstwo

Original Poster
Thanks for the input everyone!

Thank you so much for all the pictures Tammy - I know it isn't easy to scroll through all of those photos to find the right one - even if they are awesome photos! :)

sweetpea - Once again I wish you were going cruising before me and not after! Then maybe I could talk you into selling me whatever great outfit you and your mom come up with!!!

I'm thinking easy outfits though. Striped shirts with boat necks seem to be 'on trend' this season, so I think I'll just keep an eye out for one at Target or some such place. Maybe I can find a pair of navy/ black capris to go with it and a red sash and bandana.

A friend suggested that I just take my sons old navy sweatpants (that are now a little too short) and cut them off just under the knee with jagged triangles - and do the same to the sleeves of an old white tshirt.

That only leaves my daughter, who will probably wear whatever she wants anyway. So, I'll just pack her a pink bandana and a pink sash and if she wears it great, if not - no big loss! :D

Thanks again! :wave:

sweetpee_1993

^^^

Yeah, doing lots of looking I just don't seem to find a lot that really appeals in the way of pirate garb. Instead of sinking $200+ into costuming or supplies I'd rather spend that on an excursion or maybe for MNSSHP tix for our land portion. I may still look at some patterns and such because I know I've got a good bit of yardage of white/off-white lightweight cottons and yardage in my fabric bins. I just don't see investing a whole lot more money in the pirate night especially considering not-so-many go all-out. Ya know? I'm seriously thinking that my last resort will be some Goonies tees. What can children of the 80s do, right?

You're right! I was also noticing how the boat-necks and nautical motifs seem to be trending right now. I saw a few pairs of shorts, pants, capris, and pencil skirts with the "sailor" style (row of buttons near each hip). Good timing, huh? I'll be keeping my eyes peeled as the summer progresses for all that stuff to start hitting the sale racks. :D

HollyBelle

Personally, with regards to costumes, I've always been a fan of the homemade stuff. Those Halloween costume are always so much better than the store bought ones. Maybe I'm biased though because I grew up with a super creative mom who always made our costumes.

Brett and I have our outfits all ready to go for Pirate's night. In fact, we're actually putting to use some of the accessories I made for the Pirate and Princess Party we attended in 2007. It's amazing how something so simple as a sash and bandanna can turn you into a pirate! :lol:

sweetpee_1993

Personally, with regards to costumes, I've always been a fan of the homemade stuff. Those Halloween costume are always so much better than the store bought ones. Maybe I'm biased though because I grew up with a super creative mom who always made our costumes.

Brett and I have our outfits all ready to go for Pirate's night. In fact, we're actually putting to use some of the accessories I made for the Pirate and Princess Party we attended in 2007. It's amazing how something so simple as a sash and bandanna can turn you into a pirate! :lol:

Can't wait to see pics when you get back! I need some more ideas!!!!

erstwo

Original Poster
My Etsy addiction continues.....

For those that might want to spend a little on their costumes, I found a lot tonight on etsy.com

This comes in adult sizes too:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/54730385/pirate-little-miss-mouse-costume-dress?ref=sr_gallery_8&ga_search_query=pirate+costume+girl&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_facet=handmade

And I love that this comes with a matching dress for an American girl doll! (Sweetpea, you may have to make something for one of your CP babies!!!)

http://www.etsy.com/listing/67098103/disney-cruise-pirate-minnie-pillowcase?ref=sr_gallery_4&ga_search_query=pirate+costume+girl&ga_page=3&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_facet=handmade

There are so many good ones for boys, men, and women that I won't post any links - just let you do your own browsing!

sweetpee_1993

My Etsy addiction continues.....

For those that might want to spend a little on their costumes, I found a lot tonight on etsy.com

This comes in adult sizes too:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/54730385/pirate-little-miss-mouse-costume-dress?ref=sr_gallery_8&ga_search_query=pirate+costume+girl&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_facet=handmade

And I love that this comes with a matching dress for an American girl doll! (Sweetpea, you may have to make something for one of your CP babies!!!)

http://www.etsy.com/listing/67098103/disney-cruise-pirate-minnie-pillowcase?ref=sr_gallery_4&ga_search_query=pirate+costume+girl&ga_page=3&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_facet=handmade

There are so many good ones for boys, men, and women that I won't post any links - just let you do your own browsing!

OMGOMGOMG!!!

I loooove the idea of a mix of the pirate & Minnie! I have like 10 or 15 yards of a great Michael Miller Minnie-dot cotton that I had bought before my nieces' first trip because I was gonna make the 3 of us dresses but then ran out of time. I have patterns that I could piece to make something like this. Oh yay! Thank goodness I didn't send my MiL's dress form back home with her. Great idea!

The 2nd dress set is easy-peasy! I can whip pillowcase dresses out in no time flat. Those are cute as cute can be. That Etsy seller is the same lady who is making our Fish Extender for our cruise. I could've made one myself but I don't have the embroidery capabilities she does so I just ordered one. I can't wait to get it. Speaking of, I need to get crackin' on my Fish Extender gift ideas....:D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom