Would you take $1 million only to never be able to go to Disney again?

Do you take $1 million dollars only to never be able to visit Disney again?

• Take the $1 million

Votes: 66 36.7%
  • No money, keep the freedom to see the parks

Votes: 114 63.3%

• Total voters

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
Okay, you are able to get $1 million dollars. Enough to retire, enough to stop working and all you have to do is practically let it sit and invest.

But...............

there is one catch. You are not allowed to ever visit a Disney park again. Never. But you can retire with enough money to travel anywhere else.

Which do you choose? The $1 million and no Disney. Or no money, retire when you are able to and be free to visit Disney whenever you want?

loveofamouse

stupid question as $1million isn't really going to cover retirement 100% especially since many at the website are under 50 and have alot of years to cover and pay for. At the current rates of inflation, $1m wouldn't last long

sbkline

Money isn't everything, and retirement isn't all it's cracked up to be. I have plenty of money as it is to tend to our needs, and don't have a major need for 1,000,000 dollars. While nice to have, in my situation, it would not be worth never being able to go to WDW again. The excitement of planning a trip and taking my boy down there is something that money can't replace.

As far as retiring...why? I like my job. I would get too bored if I never had to go to work again and I would miss the social interaction. Maybe if people had a job they actually liked, they wouldn't be in such a hurry to retire. I can see retiring when you get to your 60s or 70s, but for people my age to be in such a hurry to retire, I just think they're plumb lazy and don't want to work. To me, being able to get out and work is part of what I find fulfilling and makes me feel like a man. My brother is 3 years older than me, has more money than I do, yet never wants to splurge for a big trip like WDW because he's too freakin' cheapskate to open his wallet. His mantra always is that he wants to save and invest so he can retire by the time he's 50. My wife and I think he's just plain lazy and doesn't want to work, in addition to being a huge freakin' cheapskate. :lol:

wizards8507

stupid question as $1million isn't really going to cover retirement 100% especially since many at the website are under 50 and have alot of years to cover and pay for. At the current rates of inflation, $1m wouldn't last long

$1,000,000 is PLENTY to retire if you invest it properly. Even if you earned only 5% per year (a modest rate once the economy gets going again), you'd bring in $50,000 a year without even touching the principal. Not a whole lot for a family of four, but more than enough for an individual to live more than comfortably.

Alexx

$1 million isn't a lot? are you freakin' nuts? You can clearly live off $1 million as many of you live off under that now and then it'll be invested so you will gain interest.

But to answer the question, no. I'm 17 and I love the parks. I'm from the UK so when I do get to visit it's a special occasion so no.

Crockett

Banned
If I ever reach an age where a dollar amount could outweigh the inner-joy & simple pleasures brought by a trip to Disney...go ahead and just shoot me.
(And make it quick).

GenerationX

$1,000,000 after taxes would net you about $670,000 (and would vary from state to state). $670,000 at around 5% interest (again, after taxes) would net you about $33,500/year. While that may be retirement money, it's definitely not comfortable retirement. You'd eat into the principle, for sure.

sbkline

$1,000,000 after taxes would net you about $670,000 (and would vary from state to state). $670,000 at around 5% interest (again, after taxes) would net you about $33,500/year. While that may be retirement money, it's definitely not comfortable retirement. You'd eat into the principle, for sure.

And if the person was foolish enough to quit their job, then they would no longer have Health Insurance through work and would either go without insurance (and cut into that principle in a major way if medical issues arise), or pay the high costs to purchase Health Insurance on their own.

That's the problem with alot of these people that come into a big windfall like that, be it a major inheritence or lottery or whatever. They foolishly quit their jobs, and often buy a huge expensive house, and fail to take into account things such as Health Insurance, property taxes, etc. So they quickly blow through the money and don't have enough left over for these things that they forgot to think about.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Okay, you are able to get $1 million dollars. Enough to retire, enough to stop working and all you have to do is practically let it sit and invest.

But...............

there is one catch. You are not allowed to ever visit a Disney park again. Never. But you can retire with enough money to travel anywhere else.

Which do you choose? The $1 million and no Disney. Or no money, retire when you are able to and be free to visit Disney whenever you want?

:wave:

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
A million to a Canadian is tax-free [windfall doesn't get taxed]. Our health care isn't dependant on working. And since I'm already getting two pensions that I could live comfortably on and intend to retire in 8 years, a million would very nicely supplement what I've already got in place for retirement.

While I would miss the parks, there's plenty of other fun things to do in this world. Gimme the money! :king:

This is the answer. Sadly, $1 million just ain't what it used to be...

scorp111

I agree that $1 million isn't enough to retire on it, but regardless, I would take the money and run. Plenty of other things to do in this world, and financial security for my family is more important to me than a single vacation destination, Disney or not.

loveofamouse

And if the person was foolish enough to quit their job, then they would no longer have Health Insurance through work and would either go without insurance (and cut into that principle in a major way if medical issues arise), or pay the high costs to purchase Health Insurance on their own.

That's the problem with alot of these people that come into a big windfall like that, be it a major inheritence or lottery or whatever. They foolishly quit their jobs, and often buy a huge expensive house, and fail to take into account things such as Health Insurance, property taxes, etc. So they quickly blow through the money and don't have enough left over for these things that they forgot to think about.

These are both my points exactly. DH and I(and friends and family) have all had the "what if you won the lottery..." discussion. I always stand that, even if we won a big jackpot, I would continue schooling and working. DH would stay active duty. Money can go quick without lavish spending. The gov't will take their taxes from you. Health costs QUICKLY add up. In fact, I just got a statement for a $800 ER visit and that didn't count labs and whatnot. That doesn't even count admission, either. That was just to walk in the door. Rather you buy a house or a condo (and you'd be stupid to rent), you will pay property taxes every year, retired or not. That adds up. Not even counting health and daily expenses, 1million(after taxes) may not cover a lifetime of property and state taxes. Then add in monthly costs of groceries, GAS, eating out, utilities, cable, internet, clothing, etc. 1million just doesn't last long. Investments aren't garaunteed either.

The real question should be would you choose something like $800million or Disney. Then I would say yes, I'd give up Disney world cause I could still go to DL, DLP, DLT, etc and get my fix :)

sbkline

These are both my points exactly. DH and I(and friends and family) have all had the "what if you won the lottery..." discussion. I always stand that, even if we won a big jackpot, I would continue schooling and working. DH would stay active duty. Money can go quick without lavish spending. The gov't will take their taxes from you. Health costs QUICKLY add up. In fact, I just got a statement for a $800 ER visit and that didn't count labs and whatnot. That doesn't even count admission, either. That was just to walk in the door. Rather you buy a house or a condo (and you'd be stupid to rent), you will pay property taxes every year, retired or not. That adds up. Not even counting health and daily expenses, 1million(after taxes) may not cover a lifetime of property and state taxes. Then add in monthly costs of groceries, GAS, eating out, utilities, cable, internet, clothing, etc. 1million just doesn't last long. Investments aren't garaunteed either.

The real question should be would you choose something like $800million or Disney. Then I would say yes, I'd give up Disney world cause I could still go to DL, DLP, DLT, etc and get my fix :)

The initial question, though, doesn't say you HAVE to retire. It simply says that you COULD retire (although I think we have all shown that this is incorrect). The actual question simply is, would you accept a million dollars to never go to Disney again. So, if you have no intention of retiring, would you forgo Disney just to have an extra million bucks in the bank account to be able to finance other trips? Myself, I would not. I am curious what you're answer would be, though, if retirement were not even part of the decision.

plaz10

Nope...I'd rather visit the parks than have the cash.
#1 - Like many other people said..1 million w/taxes and such is not that much
#2 - In any other context, if someone gave me 1 million bucks, my first thought would be "Alright, here comes a few weeks at the Grand Floridian and Poly at Disney!" So no I'd rather have the parks because I'd want to spend my million at Disney.

But I encourage the rest of you to take the million and shorten my lines at Disney World! :ROFLOL:

AlishaSimonLee

Goodbye Disney, hello Universal, US National Parks, Europe, Vegas.

There are between 180 and 200 countries in the world depending on how you count them. While I love Disney and have visited a couple dozen times in my short 28 year life, there is so much more to experience in the world than Disney world.

As far as retiring, I would not. I would buy a couple rows of town homes in a small city where homes are still relatively cheap for CASH, hire a property manager to rent them out, and live off of that and do humanitarian travel.

Yes, I know, this is blasphemous to say on this board.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom