Marathon Pre-Trip Report

Hi everyone! I thought I would give it a go and post my first pre-trip report about our upcoming attempt at the Disney Marathon. I wanted to post about this here because this site was instrumental (particularly Hollybelle's marathon trip report) in my desire to run the marathon at WDW. My husband Dan, 41 and me, Kristy, 39 will be running. Here is a pic from us during our 2007 trip. We have been to the World many times, but never done anything like this!

Disney2007083.jpg

I brought up the marathon to my husband last October. He thought I was a little crazy, but if I wanted to do it he would train with me and do it too. Neither of us are runners but he has always been an athlete involved in Tae Kwon Do, track (javelin), weightlifting etc. I keep active with horses and riding but nothing as physical as running that many miles! He told me if I started, he was going to make me stick with it and was not going to let me get out of it!

Well, I was gung ho that I was going to do this! We started the Couch to 5K plan (highly recommend this for beginner runners). We took a bit of a break during the brutal snowy winter that we had in NJ. In April, I ran my first 5k race. I was addicted! 3.1 miles was tough and I had no idea how I was going to add miles to that. In May, we ran the Spring Lake 5 Mile Run. I finished that too! Imagine that! Me, who used to have trouble running a mile was able to finish 5 without walking! Over the summer, we ran a couple more 5k's and an 8k in Barnegat. We also ran the Merrell Down and Dirty 5K and obstacle course in Philly in July.

We started adding the miles to our long runs. We were up to 8 mile long runs and I injured my knee out on one of these runs. Back in high school, I injured my left knee. Basically, my knee cap poppped out of place and will pop back in almost instantly but after it does that it is easier to fall out and it is VERY painful. It is called subluxing patella. Out on a run it did this. I lost out on 2 months of training while doing PT and trying to strengthen the muscles that hold the patella in place. I didn't take me this long to heal in high school! I guess I am a bit older now. :brick: Anyway it was slow getting back, but I just did a 15 mile run 2 weeks ago. I can't run it straight through but I can do it with my trusty knee brace. 15 was tough though! I don't know how I am going to do more! I keep telling myself that is what I said after 3 miles!

We want to get in at least 3 more long runs before the marathon, but the blustery weather here is not helping! I am just really hoping that I can make it through the marathon with my body intact and have fun while we are doing it! My husband has been great every step of the way! He goes at my pace (which is much slower than his) and comes in handy big time since he is a PT!

Well, that's it for now! Wish us luck and I hope to post a trip report when we come back that is as entertaining to read as Hollybelle's. Although I don't think that is possible!

Katherine

Hey!

I'll be down for the Marathon too! I'm nervous but I know I can finish in some form. I just want the Mickey Mouse metal! haha...

I hear you about the "I can't believe I have to run more than this". I feel like each long run I end and I think "How am I going to do that and then run 10/8/etc miles after" but I just got to my longest runs in my training and now I'm more confident than ever that I can finish with a time I'll be proud of.

Good luck with your training! I'm in Syracuse and the recent lake effect snow has moved me to running on a treadmill (augh).

Keep up the training and I'll see you on the road and in the parks on Jan 9th!:wave:

Kristia

Original Poster
Good Luck Katherine! Its weird....this is the first Disney trip that I am actually nervous about! I wish I had a bit more time to train. The knee thing really threw me off. I am hoping just to finish. I can usually start out at 12 minute miles, but as the miles build, I really slow down. I just hope I don't get swept!

stefan74

Good luck to all running the marathon! Thanks Kristia for mentioning the Couch to 5K plan, I just went to the site, saved it and will start this next week. I always wanted to run since I know it is good exercise and now I have the plan to do it. All I have to do is get some good running shoes.

Kristia

Original Poster
Good luck to all running the marathon! Thanks Kristia for mentioning the Couch to 5K plan, I just went to the site, saved it and will start this next week. I always wanted to run since I know it is good exercise and now I have the plan to do it. All I have to do is get some good running shoes.

Your welcome! It really made running easier to break it down like they did. I have tried running in the past and always quit because I would set my expectations to high in the beginning. With the walking breaks it really worked to build up gradually. Good running shoes make all the difference too! We went to a running store near us to get them. They will watch the way you walk and run and then recommend shoes for you. I overpronate when I run. They recommended shoes and inserts to go with the shoes. I used to get shin splints but once I got the new shoes I never got them again!

Katherine

Hey Kristia,

yeah my knee has actully started acting up on me recently and it makes me nervous but it doesn't bother me too much when I run it's only after so I've been stretching more after my run in hopes that it helps. Fingers crossed!

I agree this is the only trip I've every been nervous for versus just being anxious for. Cheers to running ridiculous distances... hahaha... :wave:

Phonedave

Are you all aware there is a WDW Running Forum right here on WDW Magic ?

There are a bunch of NJ runners there. Including the insane distance man Donald Duck

-dave

TakeMeThere81

Good luck marathoners! I'm sure it will be really fun even though it is very long! My husband and I will be running the Princess Half Marathon together in February and I'm so excited! I understand the frustrations of injury setbacks, I've had so many. I'm just getting a 'normal routine back and I'm back up to about 4 miles. But I do A LOT. Of stretching and am very conscious of how my body feels. Most of my injuries have been a result of pushing thru painful workouts...but no more!

LeafsFanNL

Good luck with the running. I am someone who walks for a hour a day five days a week, so I am somewhat fit. I am wondering why you didn't start off with trying the half marathon.

Kristia

Original Poster
Good question! I felt like I had plenty of time to train to be able to do the distance. I was planning to do a half in Oct but due to my knee issue, I wasn't ready in time. I thought about switching to the half after my knee injury but once it got better, I picked up the training and hadn't lost too much fitness. It is coming fast though and I probably should have switched because I am not going to get in as many long runs as I would have liked.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom