pop century bed bugs!?

steviej

I booked a trip this week at pop century, 6 days, 5 nights. And when checking out trip reviews, I saw one, posted yesterday about bed bugs!? I remember a bed bug epidemic about 2 years ago, I don't know if I should cancel or what, I'm going on vacation to relax, not stress out over bed bugs and stuff. :cry: and I got such an amazing rate too. opinions?

Crush Dude!

Back from WDW!Counting down to DLP in November!
I booked a trip this week at pop century, 6 days, 5 nights. And when checking out trip reviews, I saw one, posted yesterday about bed bugs!? I remember a bed bug epidemic about 2 years ago, I don't know if I should cancel or what, I'm going on vacation to relax, not stress out over bed bugs and stuff. :cry: and I got such an amazing rate too. opinions?

Steyed at POP for 3 weeks in July 2009 ans the room was imaculate :wave:

Great resort at a great price and loved the pool there, you will have a great time and dont worry bout them :wave:

Upvote 0

oxodizer

Bedbugs can get into anywhere, no matter how clean it is, they just have to be on the last group of people who stayed in that room. I always check the bed before I lay down, from POP to Wilderness Lodge to the Hampton Inn on the way down to Florida. Just pull back the sheets and look along the edge of the mattress in the crevices. If they are there you will see them. More than likely you will not, I assume Disney is hyper vigilant and would replace a mattress post haste if they found bed bugs.

Upvote 0

heartodisney

Please do not take anything or anyone else in your party in the room except a flashlight to check the beds, wardrobe storage, etc. as you would not want to infest your belongings IF there were any in the room. This is what I and many of us do!

Upvote 0

Phonedave

Take a quick look before you bring anything into the room.

Other than that, relax.

There are bed bugs all over the place, but the media has latched onto this issue and made it seem like you are going to find them an inch thick on the floor when you turn on the lights.

Really, it has become insanely alarmist. Just relax, take a quick look, if you see nothing, then enjoy your vacation.

-dave

Upvote 0

wendysue

We are headed to Pop soon also. I have stayed there several times and have never had a problem. I always go in the room first, check under the mattress covers and the top mattress and behind the headboard. So far, I've never found anything. Just check first, then relax and have a great time. :sohappy:

Upvote 0

disney4life2008

Relax. As everyone else has said they can infest the cleanest of rooms. Check your room 1st. But every report that I have read about bed bugs in a disney room the guests was giving new clothing, luggage and immediately moved.

Upvote 0

Pioneer Hall

Take a quick look before you bring anything into the room.

Other than that, relax.

There are bed bugs all over the place, but the media has latched onto this issue and made it seem like you are going to find them an inch thick on the floor when you turn on the lights.

Really, it has become insanely alarmist. Just relax, take a quick look, if you see nothing, then enjoy your vacation.

-dave

This is really the problem...the media (as usual) has turned this into an epidemic and has people worrying for no real reason. The beg bug problem now is really no different than it has been in the past, with the exception for a few areas. Disney isn't seeing any more problems now than normal.

Upvote 0

tigsmom

You can find them anywhere even in your own home. They carry no disease and the bites are annoying (itchy), but that's it. Just check the room first and relax.

Upvote 0

powlessfamily4

I stayed at POP this past June (2010) and it was fine. I do a fair amount of traveling and have only encountered traces of them at 1 hotel in Texas which admitted they had been a problem in the past. I am sure Disney is probably more consciencious then the average hotel. I wouldn't worry about them.

Upvote 0

JeffH

Common sense...

NOTE: I WAS THINKING OF HEADLICE, and the nits (I THOUGHT THEY WERE THE SAME THING, MY BAD)...disregard my posts as far as bed-bugs go...

Bed bugs are left by guests...
The lack of bed bugs depends on cleanliness of the hotel...
Disney rooms are cleaner than most, and Disney probably attracts a better 'class' of people (although they attract more kids, who are mostly responsible for bed-bugs)...so I would think that your odds of bed-bugs are much lower at a Disney hotel...they would just get 'the press' when an incident occurs.

And since they are MUCH more subject to getting in 'the press', that in itself would make Disney even MORE careful to avoid bed-bugs.

So I would worry more about the places you stay at on your trip to/from WDW than WDW itself...in fact you probably have a better chance of having them in the house you left (where bed-clothes are not changed out regularly).

Personally, the 'incident' probably was a case of someone who already HAD bed-bugs blaming Disney for getting them.

Upvote 0

Tonphanan

We just got back from POP Century last Sunday. We never saw nor heard of any bed bug issues during the week we were there. I would suggest taking the precautions such as checking out the room before you set your cloths out and do not unpack on the bed or floor. I checked the mattress for "signs" of bed bugs and felt confident that all was clear. We stayed in the '90's building.

Upvote 0

tigsmom

Disney rooms are cleaner than most, and Disney probably attracts a better 'class' of people (although they attract more kids, who are mostly responsible for bed-bugs)...so I would think that your odds of bed-bugs are much lower at a Disney hotel
...they would just get 'the press' when an incident occurs.

And since they are MUCH more subject to getting in 'the press', that in itself would make Disney even MORE careful to avoid bed-bugs.

So I would worry more about the places you stay at on your trip to/from WDW than WDW itself...in fact you probably have a better chance of having them in the house you left (where bed-clothes are not changed out regularly).

Personally, the 'incident' probably was a case of someone who already HAD bed-bugs blaming Disney for getting them.

You need to read up on bedbugs, this info is not correct

Upvote 0

erstwo

You can find them anywhere even in your own home. They carry no disease and the bites are annoying (itchy), but that's it. Just check the room first and relax.

While it is true that bed bugs carry no disease, they are blood eaters (I would say blood suckers, but that'll get bleeped :D) just like mosquitoes. :hurl:

IF you get them (from anywhere) and you take them home with you getting rid of them can take months and cost thousands of dollars. One couple local to me spent 6 months ridding themselves of bed bugs after a trip overseas. They had to throw out all of their mattresses, their couch, their bedding, everything. Not to mention all of the money they spent on exterminators and time away from home while their house was treated, etc.

I say this only because it's not just annoying bites. It can consume your life. There are lots of stories out there about people going through it. :(

Now, having said that, I live in a city of over 200,000. I bet a lot of our 200,000 travel frequently and they are the only family who was "news worthy" with bed bugs. To me, that means the odds of you getting bed bugs are very low!

I stayed at Pop 5 weeks ago. Zero bedbugs. I'll be back at Pop in December :xmas: and I'll take a look before we pile into our room, but I have no worries that we'll find any bed bugs! Fingers crossed!

Upvote 0

Phonedave

Disney rooms are cleaner than most, and Disney probably attracts a better 'class' of people (although they attract more kids, who are mostly responsible for bed-bugs)..
.so I would think that your odds of bed-bugs are much lower at a Disney hotel...they would just get 'the press' when an incident occurs.

Wow :confused:

-dave

Upvote 0

JeffH

I know what I'm talking about...

NOTE: I WAS THINKING OF HEADLICE, and the nits (I THOUGHT THEY WERE THE SAME THING, MY BAD)...disregard my posts as far as bed-bugs go...

You need to read up on bedbugs, this info is not correct
We had an incident with bed-bugs last year...I detected them, know how and why my dd got them and got rid of them (quickly), and to do so read everything about them.
Generally speaking what I concluded was correct.

Originally I wrote all the details of this incident, but decided it was too much and too complicated...all I needed was to make the general conclusion. My ex-wife allowed my dd to get away with not washing her hair so when she 'picked-them-up' from a friend at the Boys and Girls club they were allowed to nest and went undetected until I took her on vacation (ironically to a Hilton timeshare sales stay), detected them and eradicated them.

One thing a Disney room has working against it compared to a cheap place is it's rooms are constantly filled which allow bed-bugs to complete their (short) life-cycle, while at a cheap hotel a room might go vacant for a few days killing the bed-bugs (when it can't complete it's life-cycle).

Upvote 0

GeoDonJac34

Just got back from POP last Saturday, and no signs of bed bugs. Although we had a first floor room in the sixties building, and there were these small worms all around the walkway. We did find a few in our bathroom during our week there, but to me it's not a big deal. Definitely better than bed bugs.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom