Most Common Employment Questions - Hourly

roypup

Original Poster
Most Common Employment Questions - Hourly

Lexicon of AbbreviationsTypes of Employment

Hourly
Most cast members fall into the hourly category. This category includes all theme park employees, some technical and engineering staff, housekeeping, etc. Hourly casting is done via the job hotline or through the casting center across from Downtown Disney.

College Program
This is a subset of hourly employees. The college program is designed for college students to earn credit while working for disney in one of the WDWPR roles. Students are given housing and have to follow a set of predefined rules during their tenure. Typically most of these programs last six months, but can vary based on program selection.

Equity Talent/Performer
This category includes parade performers, singers, dancers, acrobats, comedians, face characters, and fur characters. These are auditioned positions that are usually done in the Animal Kingdom rehearsal facility. If you are selected, you are given a contract for a length of time to perform in a role.

Professional
This is a very broad category of salaried positions and can range from management to stage hands/AV technicians. These positions often require an advanced degree for consideration. You must submit your resume through the Disney Careers website and be offered an invitation to interview.

Internship
These are college targeted roles for specific professional positions. (See above.) The process is similar to professional positions.

Hourly Questions
  1. How much do hourly cast members make?
    This varies based on the role you are placed. Disney claims it is competitive for the positions. Typically, it is slightly above minimum wage. Right now, the common answer is hovering around $7.50 - $9.00.

In an hourly role, you are subject to overtime and doubletime pay for working above 8 hours a day or 40 hours a week, depending on your union.
  2. How do I apply for an hourly role?
    You can apply for an hourly role only by visiting the Casting Center, which is across from Downtown Disney. Disney also occasionally holds job fairs which are held throughout Florida and sometimes in other states. For information on casting, call the job line at 407-828-1000 to speak with a casting representative.
  3. If I'm offered an hourly position, do I get to choose where I work?
    Yes and no. The availability of roles changes almost constantly. You can select up to three preferred work locations and the casting agent will do their best to accomodate you. If none of your choices are available, you can choose to select a role they do have available or can opt into a waiting "pool".
  4. What should I wear to the interview?
    You should dress professionally to the interview. Looking clean provides a good first impression and with Disney, making a good first impression is crucial.
  5. What should I expect to do at the Casting Center?
    You will fill out interview paperwork and potentially interview the same day. When filling out your application for employment, be thorough and do not omit information. Also, be clear about past incidents that may show up on your public record. Read the instructions carefully. During your interview you may be called into a group interview or a one-on-one or a combination of both. Be prepared to answer questions about your personal experience with Disney. Also, they will ask situational based questions -- things like -- "Tell me a time when you had to work with a customer who was dissatisified." These questions reveal a lot about character.
  6. What happens after I am offered work?
    Typically more paperwork. You'll also have to schedule your class for Traditions. Every cast member, regardless of role, professional, hourly, etc. will take this class. In fact, you may be in the same class as someone who is working on the professional side. Once class is complete, you'll be meeting with an area coordinator who will schedule you for work and prep you for your on the job training.
  7. Do I have to wear a uniform?
    All cast members who work in the parks have specific costuming guidelines. This includes managers. While they aren't in specific costuming -- they are required to fit the Disney look.
  8. Can I work overtime?
    Yes, you can. If you are employed, you can use the Hub (Disney Intranet) to sign up for extra shifts, such as Parade-Audience Control.
  9. Can I work on a specific role in an Attraction?
    No, you cannot. You will be required to train on all the positions for an attraction or set of attractions based on your work location. You will then rotate through positions utilizing the Cast Deployment System. This will bump you through positions throughout your workday.
  10. Can I transfer to a new role?
    Yes, after six months of contiguous employment, you can then apply to transfer to a new role. Forum members suggest working with your manager for an easier transition.
  11. What are the benefits to being a Disney Cast Member?
    Your employee ID gets you access to the park almost any time you want. You also get a maingate pass which allows you to bring in friends and family on select dates (blackout dates apply) throughout the year. You also get merchandise discounts. These are listed benefits, they may provide other benefits such as discounts on the Magic Kingdom parties, etc.
  12. How old do I have to be to work for Walt Disney World?
    You can begin work at 16. Ages 16 - 17 are in a restricted class, such that you can not operate machinery or work past certain times. You're also limited to the number of hours you can work a week. Once you're 18, these restrictions no longer apply.
Contact Information

Walt Disney World Casting
http://www.disney.go.com/DisneyCareers/wdwcareers/hourly/
407-828-1000

Disney Professional Recruitment
http://www.disneycareers.com

Disney Auditions
http://corporate.disney.go.com/auditions/index.html

roypup

Original Poster
I just thought it would be helpful for folks to get answers to common questions in a sticky post. Thanks for making it sticky! :)

The whole part of the equity contracts for fur and face characters are two totally different things...it is really misleading and isn't how Entertainment is run....It should state Character Performer and an Equity Performer...there are two entirenly different auditions...run by two seperate groups of managment

kenneth

Fantasyland expansion

I am referring to construction positions at this project. I have found the General contractors but I am seeking more info on the actual rocknwaterscapes sub-contractors:sohappy:

khelinski

How soon can a person get health insurance/vacation days once you are a cast member? I am finding out part timers don't get it, but full timers do. True?

niteobsrvr

How soon can a person get health insurance/vacation days once you are a cast member? I am finding out part timers don't get it, but full timers do. True?

Medical Benefits kick in after 90 days of employment.
Vacation and sick time begins to accrue from the very first hour you work as full time. However, you have to be employed for at least 9 months in most cases before it is available to use. You may collect 3 personal holidays as the year progresses that can be used at any time after they accrue.

khelinski

Medical Benefits kick in after 90 days of employment.
Vacation and sick time begins to accrue from the very first hour you work as full time. However, you have to be employed for at least 9 months in most cases before it is available to use. You may collect 3 personal holidays as the year progresses that can be used at any time after they accrue.

Thanks. Does the Benefits kick in for ONLY full timers?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom